Archived applied for etl, was asked about tl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey everyone,

So I applied for a etl position, had 2 phone interviews, one in person interview with a stl, then a shadow/less formal interview with another stl. Got an email to set up a phone interview with a dtl, but then the recruiter(?) or HR(?) called me and said that my original recruiter was on vacation and that there may have been some miscommunication earlier in the process, but wanted to know if i'd be interested in a TL position.

I am a bit confused now. after reading the site, it seems like a dead end. Apparently, i am no longer considered for an etl.

My background came from a very successful run in operations management and 10 years in a customer service setting. I also graduated from college 5 years ago. I felt I nailed all of the interviews and felt my experience was sufficient enough.

Is a TL position something to even consider anymore? Should I bring this up when I speak to the DTL? I've read that target likes to hire etl's straight from college with no "real" experience, but I cant seem to wrap my head around this.

Is a TL position something to even consider anymore? Should I bring this up when I speak to the DTL? I've read that target likes to hire etl's straight from college with no "real" experience, but I cant seem to wrap my head around this.
Yes I would bring it up. And about the college kids with no experience; yes lately it has seemed that way. They like a fresh slate to lay all their culture on. I don't see why you wouldn't be a candidate for an ETL though. If they do offer you a TL position, they may want to see you run a green workcenter for 18 months before promoting you to an ETL.

Why should the OP have to prove himself when he already has experience (& a degree) compared to a newbie fresh out of college without ANY experience whatsoever?
Interviewing for TL would seem like a waste because Target is notorious for carrot-dangling & I doubt you could get anything in writing guaranteeing a move up to an ETL spot.
I'd tell them thanks, but no to a TL spot as that would be a step DOWN from where you are presently.

If you already have plenty of experience and a degree yet they are trying to lowball you with TL, I'd walk.
Let them know you are applying for ETL and if the position is open you'll try again later.

My wife was a math teacher.
She made good money and had three degrees.
One of them was a principles degree because she wanted to go into administration.
More than once the school districts she would interview at would say, "Well, the Assistant Principle position we are interviewing you might not be available but how about you take the head math teacher?"
Well no, since the position didn't pay as much as she was already making, wouldn't have tenure, could be bumped and wasn't what she had come to interview for!

People who are hired in directly as etl are rarely successful. It does not matter if you have a degree or previous managerial experience. Target is a different beast and starting in an etl role is a lot to take on. Starting out as a team lead you will get a better understanding of target and be more successful as a future etl. I highly suggest going for a senior team lead position.

People who are hired in directly as etl are rarely successful. It does not matter if you have a degree or previous managerial experience. Target is a different beast and starting in an etl role is a lot to take on. Starting out as a team lead you will get a better understanding of target and be more successful as a future etl. I highly suggest going for a senior team lead position.
If this were true, then why are they hiring ETLs right out of college with NO experience?
Why not hire THEM for TL positions & make them prove themselves before turning an ETL spot over to them?

This is true my STL tells us all the time after talent Tuesday.

If this were true, then why are they hiring ETLs right out of college with NO experience?
Why not hire THEM for TL positions & make them prove themselves before turning an ETL spot over to them?
In my district ive seen a lot more extended interns and senior team leaders coming straight out of college. Everywhere is different though.

I've had ETL's who have flat out said Target was their first retail job. They were hired straight as an ETL. They also usually had degrees completely unrelated to retail or business. They were / are good leaders, but they still did not have any expirence.

I've had ETL's who have flat out said Target was their first retail job. They were hired straight as an ETL. They also usually had degrees completely unrelated to retail or business. They were / are good leaders, but they still did not have any expirence.
Right...its stupid. Externals should have a college degree...and four+ years relevant experience. IMO the only way you should be a 22 year old ETL is if you got hired at Target at 16 ( virtually unheard of as is) then work the minimum 18 month period between each promotion.

Right...its stupid. Externals should have a college degree...and four+ years relevant experience. IMO the only way you should be a 22 year old ETL is if you got hired at Target at 16 ( virtually unheard of as is) then work the minimum 18 month period between each promotion.

^This is very very common in my area. They work here from 16-22/23, usually end up as some type of team lead or gsa, and when they graduate college and that carrot their STL has been dangling in front of them for years is still out of reach they leave and find nice management & HR jobs with better companies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back