Archived Are some team lead positions easier than others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there's something to be said for each pyramid and valid reasons as to why you can't even compare them....

GE side (sales floor, GSTL, etc) all work under the idea that guest service is number one. They have their caf pulls, zoning, etc etc, but they're ultimately responsible for leading teams that are meant to provide fast and amazing service. That's what they lead; service.

Logistics side (Plano, flow, etc) lead, well, logistics. They lead their teams to get from Point A to Point B in the most efficient way possible. Yes, they have to worry about guest service too, but they aren't measured on how fast they respond to call buttons. They are measured on how fast they can work a truck.

GE has to plan for guest interactions and service (which as you hopefully know, is pretty unpredictable) and that's why it seems like easier positions.

Logistics has to deal with the distraction of guest service, and GE has to deal with the distraction of overwhelming product to work out. They're just different departments with different objectives and aren't really that comparable..

And then you have the food leaders (Consumables, food departments/ production areas, food service/Starbucks) who have to deal with the logistics and GE side of things equally =P

And then you have the food leaders (Consumables, food departments/ production areas, food service/Starbucks) who have to deal with the logistics and GE side of things equally =P
True! Plus take more ownership of those areas; which can be both a blessing and a curse haha ;)

I need to move to your store. As GSTL I end up pulling most of my EXFs myself. We end up doing all the checklane pogs, except for new releases. I am about to do the second dollar spot set that Plano cannot get to. ON TOP OF running the lanes, pushing conversion and surveys, pulling cashiers to cover tsc, gsd, fa and sb.

+1

THIS!!!!!

Someone on here ( It may have been the old site, I'm not sure) made a comment that I 100% agree with. I'm sorry I don't know who to credit it to. The GSTL has the potential to have the hardest position and the easiest position in the store. Sometimes both will occur in the same week, sometimes in the same day!

It is a position that is ridiculously hard to plan for because everything you do has to be guest-focused. Its hard to know what the position is like unless you have been a GSTL (or even a GSA) for a significant length of time. And don't tell me you cover GSTL breaks or were up there for a week to cover a vacation, its really not the same thing.

Totally agree with this. It very much depends on the day and how much effort you put into it.

The downside of GSTL and Electronics TL is the single metric focus (REDcard & AAR). I have done both and despite how you perform in sales, guest survey, zone, team development, etc. your one metric is all that is seen. IF you have a good team and support in the building, these can be cake, if not I've found these to be the least desirable positions by far!

Of course every store is different, SB/FA are a piece of cake at mine. Always have coverage to cover each other and metrics are simply guest survey and a visit every few weeks at most.

Pricing/Plano is a tough one if your team doesn't have leadership other than TL, same with our backroom/instocks.

A lot of it comes down to the quality of TM your store hires and how well/poor you're doing in the major metric for your area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back