Archived Are some team lead positions easier than others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would NOT want to be a GSTL. To me that is one of the harder TL positions. Conversion, cashiers, crazy guests... no thanks. We had a guy who whas recently promoted to the bench, and then right away jump into GSTL. More power to him if he enjoys it. Personally I want a Salesfloor TL position when it becomes available.

I think all TLs should start as GSTLs so they know the importance of guest service. I also believe all ETLs should start out as ETL-GEs too. There should be a progression in my opinion. Start as GSTL, move to sales floor. Then to specialty (Electronics, food or IS) After that Plano or Flow. You need to know how the sales floor runs to effectively run Flow or Plano. Knowing how the other areas work and what is involved you can be a much more effective leader.

We no longer have seperate TL for Instocks and BR but when we did Instocks TL was definitely the easiest IMO.

We no longer have seperate TL for Instocks and BR but when we did Instocks TL was definitely the easiest IMO.

It's so odd, though. The IS team is considered a salesfloor team so the ETL-HL is their ETL yet the TL answers to the ETL-Log. This needs to be changed. I honestly think that most tm's have no clue as to what any TL's daily expectations are so this thread should realistically be answered only by TL's that have held more than one TL position. That being said, I would answer that the ETL-pharmacy is the most difficult. Screw that up and people die.

It probably varies day by day. Having been a hardlines tl, I can tell you sales floor isn't easy when you have no hours for tms. I'd say all of them are equally tough when you don't have a reliable team, you're the only tl taking the initiative to train them, and your ETL will not back up any of your decisions to coach or start the corrective action process because turnover is too high.

I am Instocks, not a TL and my exec is the ETL-LOG.

According to the org chart? I am not aware that the ETL-LOG is the ETL of any salesfloor tm and IS is clearly stated as a salesfloor team. I actually utilize the ETL-Log as my ETL, but technically that is not the case.

I think it's a timing thing. While your ETL-SF may technically be over IS, their schedule means they don't spend as much time with the team. My ETL-Log is there from the time I come in to the time I leave at least 4 days/week. I see my ETL-SF once or twice. It's just easier to answer to the boss who's there.

We have a very unique set up as far as alignment goes for instocks. So unique that I think it might identify me. So suffice to say that our instocks team doesn't really know who they report to. PM me if you want more details.

I think it's a timing thing. While your ETL-SF may technically be over IS, their schedule means they don't spend as much time with the team. My ETL-Log is there from the time I come in to the time I leave at least 4 days/week. I see my ETL-SF once or twice. It's just easier to answer to the boss who's there.

Which is why I think they should change this.

I am Instocks, not a TL and my exec is the ETL-LOG.

According to the org chart? I am not aware that the ETL-LOG is the ETL of any salesfloor tm and IS is clearly stated as a salesfloor team. I actually utilize the ETL-Log as my ETL, but technically that is not the case.

The ETL over IS is the ETL-LOG at my store too. We're ULV and I know its the case at most (all?) ULV stores. I don't know where the exact split happens sales-wise, though. Presentation is considered LOG at my store too. That one is SF at larger stores, isn't it?

same here. my store is low volume, and my ETL-LOG oversees IS

Obviously this depends on the team, and those in leadership.
Anyone can cadillac and be inefficient, making it seem like their position is very easy. Similarly, I have seen people so confident and "in" their strengths that their workload seemed too easy.

Some locations and volume stores are more heavily hit in some workcenters than others.

I can personally attest to feeling like I am still holding my hand to a gushing wound at the Front End as GSTL, with lack of manpower, talent and partnership from my peers. While this can be very tiring and overwhelming, I hope to find ways to streamline processes and drive for results despite the adversity.

I do believe that some individuals give the GSTL position a bum rap. At an A+ volume store, the struggles are most concretely felt when there are poor performers or attendance issues. Furthermore, as the company has shifted to such a high conversion % the pressure is very keenly felt. The AE score is tied directly to raises for the team, and the process to fix conversion needs to be all inclusive; unfortunately it is very difficult to obtain partnership and get stakeholder buy in from other workcenters.

To those who think GSTL is a cake job, just remember that is often ends up becoming a place where TLs die; the information that has been disseminated at our store is that you cannot transfer out of a workcenter that is not green, and conversion has always been below green for us.

It might be beneficial for stores to continue rotating TLs through workcenters, and avoid locking in those who have been in role for 15 years.

I have held both of those and loved them both. GSTL is a harder position than most people give it credit for. They are responsible for the last impression the guests have of the store. That is why I really believe all team leads need to start there. They need to have it drilled into their heads that guest service is THE priority. Too many TLs think their tasks override service and they would be wrong. Everything that everyone in the building does is in the end for the guests, the people who pay our wages.

Lead wise I have only been a GSTL and I am pretty excited about the fact that I might be moving work centers soon despite not being green (surprise!) at the front. The stress level up front can be insane at times when you are backed up. The guests love giving you death glares and making you feel like a terrible person when things don't go fast enough for them.

Last edited:
I think the pharmacy TL position depends on your ETL. Ours happens to be somewhat of a perfectionist. Definitely the most difficult part (as far as I can tell) of ours is staying on top of earned hours and worrying about the umpteen various scores....

I'm not getting into this debate because it's stupid. What's easy for one person may be hard for another, and vice versa. Now, to address the one comment about service overriding tasks, maybe it's like that in YOUR store but not everywhere. If my work isn't done, on time, and with quality work, then I'm getting my ass chewed. I'm not getting in trouble, coached, CCA, threatened, etc. for service.

You guys talk about stress from lanes being backed up, and make a smartass comment about a pull. Wow...

It just depends on the store... If your store is known for having green GE processes, then GSTL would probably be pretty easy! Some STLs are very focused on that and over allocate payroll and spoil the areas they want to focus on! Some STLs are passionate about logistics, and then having one of those positions may be easier! Was the ETL and TLs who had the area before you strong performers and handing off something great to you? I can say that it just depends on how much stuff there is to fix more than anything :) Now if every area in your store is green then I think small teams like Food Ave or Starbucks would probably be the easiest!

From hard to easy: flow, pog/pricing, backroom/instocks, food ave/starbucks (dealing with target, starbucks & all the regulatory folks) then gstl/salesfloor. Imho from my ulv experience.

I think the APL/APTL is the hardest TL position in the store due to the fact that you run the department because there is no ETL. We have to run AP and what sucks is there is no ETL-AP to back you up, it gets tricky when you are trying to hold an ETL accountable for their actions. We pretty much do whatever an ETL-AP does.

I think it's about the person actually. Our current Flow TL is a "beast" (good) when it comes to logistics. She sucked at POG and Salesfloor, but she rocks Log! I was horrible in Hardlines TM, but when it comes to GSTL I can run circles around most. Our HLTL moved to SL several years and is the best and fastest in the building, but his team hates him. LOL.

Gotta leverage the strength of the person I guess....

And, the LOG team at our store, per the ETL-Log, refuses to do any of the front end pulls nor do they push any of our product. She sneaks it all into the front end stock room when no one is looking or sits the product into SSS or the Savor Spot in tubs and then wont respond to the walkie when we ask where it comes from (which we already know!)

Then She has a holy fit when I start training some of my cashiers (with her team trainers mind you) on how to pull from the backroom so that I can set my Salesplanners on time. Yes Lady, they've already taken the freakin quiz!!!!!!! LOL

Last edited:
And, the LOG team at our store, per the ETL-Log, refuses to do any of the front end pulls nor do they push any of our product. She sneaks it all into the front end stock room when no one is looking or sits the product into SSS or the Savor Spot in tubs and then wont respond to the walkie when we ask where it comes from (which we already know!)

Then She has a holy fit when I start training some of my cashiers (with her team trainers mind you) on how to pull from the backroom so that I can set my Salesplanners on time. Yes Lady, they've already taken the freakin quiz!!!!!!! LOL

Sounds like globality/being a team player is one of her "opportunities."

If your cashiers are backroom certified and they're not causing errors, then too bad for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back