Archived Are there any targets with the old layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest Attendant

Former Target Team Member
title pretty much says it all. Are there any targets that still have an older layout? 2001? 1997? even earlier?

None in the Portland area. All the stores got right sizing or remodels when they went P-fresh, and the Glisan store was shut down. I hear rumors whispered in the dark of old format stores further south in Oregon. But we dare not speak of it.

Theres stores in my area with P2001 and P97 prototypes. Ive also heard of a handful of stores with the P93 prototypes or P92? one of those, in a neighboring state.

There's a Target in State College, PA, with the old-style (aka not CSE) directional signs, old mustard yellow carpet, and the reallyyyyyyyy old neon fixtures everywhere.

Hahah ^ I was shopping in that store a few months back and I was shocked they dint get pfresh at 1st granted it was how my store use 2 be but also I was so lost finding things but yet they weren't so FFF at the store tho I had to go to them & ask if they could help me find things lol

I work in a store that opened in 1994 and has never been remodeled... old carpet and still the old silver SL fixtures...

Hahah ^ I was shopping in that store a few months back and I was shocked they dint get pfresh at 1st granted it was how my store use 2 be but also I was so lost finding things but yet they weren't so FFF at the store tho I had to go to them & ask if they could help me find things lol

Yo, that store is rough! Haha. Their photo lab was ripped out and now it's just a giant empty void on the side wall. The store felt like I was in a time vortex or something because it was just so weird without CSE.

Yo, that store is rough! Haha. Their photo lab was ripped out and now it's just a giant empty void on the side wall. The store felt like I was in a time vortex or something because it was just so weird without CSE.

When I saw a section Q there that just made me flabberquasted I didn't know what to do lol

There's a store in my state in the 100s. I don't know if it's been remodeled or not.

Kinda ironic that T-1 is in better shape than some of the "newer" stores lol.

I was driving through Toledo a few weeks ago and stopped at a Target there in the northern part of the city on Alexis Rd. Even though it was clean, it had to be an older layout, one I had never seen. The bathrooms were down a mazelike hall past the door to food ave. It was kind of a creepy place.

I visited a friend in Monroe, MI and went to the Target there which is attached to a mall. There is a front entrance and an entrance from the mall. At first, I thought it was remodeled from another store because the layout was so odd. In fact, the whole mall is odd because the entire floor of the mall is carpeted. I asked a lady if the Target had been another store before. She said no and that it was a big deal when it was built. When i was leaving, I noticed a section of sidewalk where a group of schoolkids had hand imprinted in it. It had a date - 1994. I gather that it has not been remodeled since then.

Forgive me that this is off-topic, but I wanted to share this photo. I'm pretty sure the exterior design is unique, but I could be wrong about it.
2rxv6s5.jpg

Last edited:
That's because that store was closed and replaced with a Super Target.

Yes I know, but its still technically the first target location since its the same place :p I think its 2101 or something technically, I forget.

I believe my store is a P97 prototype. Yes, we're a really old store.

if it has the neons and the color blocks (red, yellow, blue and green) then it is.

The first target I ever was in got a remodel not to long ago. went in earler this year. It looked nice.

how often are stores usually remolded? Ours was remodeled the year I started, I think 2008? Because others around me were remodeled this year

what about a full flege remodel or have they stopped those?

Remodels are expensive. I'm sure much consideration is given on cost effectiveness of maintaining a store, remodeling it, or just plain destroying it. I know our sister store at Jantzen beach just got torn down completely and then rebuilt.

Remodels are expensive. I'm sure much consideration is given on cost effectiveness of maintaining a store, remodeling it, or just plain destroying it. I know our sister store at Jantzen beach just got torn down completely and then rebuilt.

of course, LAst summer I helped with a remodel of one of the kroger owned stores. The store opened in 1982 but had at least one remodel prior to the 2011 remodel. though they didnt do much work since all the main work and money went to another location that opened in 1951 and is the compney "landmark" store. (the orgnail road sign remains as with the vintage neon deparment signs that got a LED make over) One good thing about keeping the celiling tiles is they got to keep the "cat walk" that sat above the sales floor.

I was just wondering if Target has gone though the trouble of remodeling existing stores to the point of a new front facade

if it has the neons and the color blocks (red, yellow, blue and green) then it is.

There are still a handful of locations in Las Vegas like that. It's odd really, like Target hates Nevada maybe. There are only three pFresh locations in Vegas, no Optical, onlt 2 portrait studio and 3 photo, no SuperTarget either. They still have three of the P97 locations with the old color blocks with yellow, and at least four locations with the updated color signs where blue replaced yellow in softlines. The P2001 stores were the best in my opinion, Target really got it right with these. Too bad the color "worlds" were so short lived. Started with all red and ten years later we're back to all red. At least make the SuperTarget and pfresh signs green?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back