Archived Are we now matching in-store clearance prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll match another store if it's the right call for that particular guest AND if they aren't acting like total assholes :)
My question...How are you matching it?
This. How can you confirm another stores clearance price? The tgt app isn’t always accurate. Are you saying you trust the guest to tell you how much an item is?

I've had guests show me a receipt from another store with a clearance price. If the DPCI matched, I would consider it for a regular or someone being reasonable and polite about it, AND if the change is within the parameters set by my leadership for which i can change without approvals. Our store officially does not match other store's clearances, so I would be backed up by my GSTL if I said no.

As for how? I use change price - damage. That way it doesn't trigger a shelftag check in the MyDevices.

My question...How are you matching it?
This. How can you confirm another stores clearance price? The tgt app isn’t always accurate. Are you saying you trust the guest to tell you how much an item is?

I do check the Target app on my phone, change the home store setting. It's not always accurate but it's close. Otherwise yes, I take the guests' word for it. It hardly happens honestly and I only do it for a reasonable pricing, at my discretion. I don't have time to argue with someone over $20 honestly.

I'll price match clearance on Target.com if it's still available for delivery. I generally don't price match to another Target, even if the guest needs 3 and the other Target only had 2. Occasionally if the guest is polite and it's only a few dollar's difference then I'll do it but I'll explain to them that I'm making an exception to the rule. I don't have time to argue over $2, and you guys don't get paid enough to do it either.

Let’s say a team member wants to buy something that’s already on clearance and they scan it with their target app and it comes up cheaper? What is done about that?

Let’s say a team member wants to buy something that’s already on clearance and they scan it with their target app and it comes up cheaper? What is done about that?
Depends. I know when I’m in my store and scan items with my app it will tell me the current in store clearance price but if I look
Up that same item at home and mark “in stock at my store” it will tell me the online price. So if they don’t have your store selected when using the app the price difference is probably online so I’ll price match it and verify with the device but if it’s just coming up a cheaper clearance price than the ticket, chances are they just missed a ticket and it’ll be the cheaper price when you scan it anyway

Even during my days at TGT, I pretty much followed this same policy.

As its listed on the website....shop with confidence - https://corporate.target.com/about/shopping-experience/shop-with-confidence

Price Match -
Guidelines and limitations:

• The price for an item must be listed and valid at the time of match. We reserve the right to verify a competitor’s advertised price and the availability of the item.
  • The item must be the identical item, brand name, size, weight, color, quantity and model number. It must be in stock at the time of Price Match for approved online competitors. It also must be sold and fulfilled by one of the select competitors listed here.
  • Offers found on deal websites will be validated at the retailer’s primary website and must meet all other price match criteria.
  • Please bring the entire printed ad, or show the online price or digital version of the ad on your mobile device for proof of price. Original receipts or packing slips are required for price adjustments after purchase.
  • We match Target.com prices on in-store purchases and in-store prices for Target.com purchases. In-store price matches from other Target stores are excluded.
  • Alaska and Hawaii Target stores are excluded from price matching online competitors.
  • No rainchecks will be issued for items out of stock at Target or Target.com to match a competitor's price.
  • We reserve the right to limit price quantities of price matches per identical item per guest for local and/or online competitor matches.
Exclusions:

• Clearance, closeout, liquidation sales, damaged, used, open package, refurbished, pre-owned, or rent/lease to own items, storewide or category promotions, offers advertised as % or $ off, non-branded items, or prices that only display on a website after guests log in.

The only Target location you can price match is the website.

Last edited:
So frustrated with this same issue that came up yesterday while I was at self-checkout. A guest wanted to price-match to another store's clearance price for some kind of lotion and showed me a picture of a myDevice with the clearance price for the same item. At that point though, I was worried that the other guests at self-checkout would be pulling something if I wasn't paying attention so I just price-matched the item for the guest. Reading through this thread though, it would appear that I went against Target's policy in this instance.

So frustrated with this same issue that came up yesterday while I was at self-checkout. A guest wanted to price-match to another store's clearance price for some kind of lotion and showed me a picture of a myDevice with the clearance price for the same item. At that point though, I was worried that the other guests at self-checkout would be pulling something if I wasn't paying attention so I just price-matched the item for the guest. Reading through this thread though, it would appear that I went against Target's policy in this instance.
You should not of done it. Ask your gstl/gsa about pricing matching policy.

You should not of done it. Ask your gstl/gsa about pricing matching policy.
I will definitely ask them about the policy again, but when you're at self-checkout, you really can't afford to be spending too much time with one guest, otherwise you won't be able to monitor any other guests during that interaction and that's what has me worried. The GSTL at the time was helping out at guest services so she couldn't immediately assist the guest in question.

I will definitely ask them about the policy again, but when you're at self-checkout, you really can't afford to be spending too much time with one guest, otherwise you won't be able to monitor any other guests during that interaction and that's what has me worried. The GSTL at the time was helping out at guest services so she couldn't immediately assist the guest in question.
Stand your ground. I would of. Guests try doing it in electronics all the time & I say no. Because it high dollar items back there.

Spot policy
Guidelines and limitations:

• The price for an item must be listed and valid at the time of match. We reserve the right to verify a competitor’s advertised price and the availability of the item.
  • The item must be the identical item, brand name, size, weight, color, quantity and model number. It must be in stock at the time of Price Match for approved online competitors. It also must be sold and fulfilled by one of the select competitors listed here.
  • Offers found on deal websites will be validated at the retailer’s primary website and must meet all other price match criteria.
  • Please bring the entire printed ad, or show the online price or digital version of the ad on your mobile device for proof of price. Original receipts or packing slips are required for price adjustments after purchase.
  • We match Target.com prices on in-store purchases and in-store prices for Target.com purchases. In-store price matches from other Target stores are excluded.
  • Alaska and Hawaii Target stores are excluded from price matching online competitors.
  • No rainchecks will be issued for items out of stock at Target or Target.com to match a competitor's price.
  • We reserve the right to limit price quantities of price matches per identical item per guest for local and/or online competitor matches.
Exclusions:

• Clearance, closeout, liquidation sales, damaged, used, open package, refurbished, pre-owned, or rent/lease to own items, storewide or category promotions, offers advertised as % or $ off, non-branded items, or prices that only display on a website after guests log in.
  • Pricing due to typographical errors, competitor doorbusters/lightning sales (including Amazon Prime or Amazon Fresh Exclusive offers), coupon offers, promotional codes, credit card offers, gift card offers, financing, service offers, bundled offers, sales tax promotions, free items, rebates or mail-in offers.
  • Contract mobile phone devices and the associated plans, optical, product services (warranties, assembly, etc.), clinic and pharmacy purchases and offers, or game reservations.
  • “Marketplace” prices from third party sellers.
  • Cartwheel offers, Target Gift Card offers, Registry completion coupons and Target coupons cannot be combined with price match. Manufacturer coupons will be applied after a price match is made, for store purchases only. Please review our Store Coupon Policy for additional details.
  • Items containing alcohol will be subject to state-by-state regulations.
  • Price matches and adjustments to competitors will not be allowed for prices valid from Thanksgiving Day through the entire week after Thanksgiving. (11/22/2018 – 12/01/2018).

Never ever ever match clearance, period. Clearance pertains to demographics. It's in Target's VERY strict policy on such. We are quite liberal on other price match but NEVER on clearance items no matter what the circumstances and I've NEVER seen a honest attempt by a Guest for other store clearance price match. If any honestly was involved they'd have purchased from first store.

Example: There's no market over at our XXX store for orange plaid shoes in men's size 13 but size 9 is selling. Size 13 is clearance but 9 is not. Guest already argued to get the size 9 over there to get at clearance price but no go as they are selling.

They buy the cheap size 13 over there and come to our store which has a big demand for 9 orange plaid shoes with reciept for clearance 13s and insist we mark down our hot selling orange plaid size 9s saying that the other store didn't have size 9 (like we can't dial the original store and ask or just hit it with a Zebra).

We're NOT going to clearance them. CLEARLY against policy perched at every register in every store.

No. We do not price match to other Target stores, period (including clearance prices). We also don't price match to clearance prices at other retailers.
EXACTLY!
A good example is leisure wear. I'm referencing ANY vendor on the planet.

I saw a sweatsuit at W in a most desireable color but it was $343 while grey and black were only $70ish. The desireable color price also varied in price by size.

Clearance items are often such because a retailer was forced to take the non sellers with the sellers.

No price match on clearance, period. It's in the Target manual in BOLD print.

EXACTLY!
A good example is leisure wear. I'm referencing ANY vendor on the planet.

I saw a sweatsuit at W in a most desireable color but it was $343 while grey and black were only $70ish. The desireable color price also varied in price by size.

Clearance items are often such because a retailer was forced to take the non sellers with the sellers.

No price match on clearance, period. It's in the Target manual in BOLD print.

Hopefully you mean $34 or $3.43 because Walmart doesn't carry that high end merchandise

(Not entirely on topic, so please excuse me while I ruminate for a minute...)

Without pricing teams, the clearance prices in store are getting all kinds of messed up. And I can't help but think of all the money we lose on items that go straight to salvage. It seems silly compared to a pricing worker's $12 an hour wage.

As a company we're sacrificing tons of money "making it right" for the guest, but none making it right for the TMs. Sure, losing customers means taking a loss in the long term... but so does losing experienced TMs.

Hopefully you mean $34 or $3.43 because Walmart doesn't carry that high end merchandise
Actually they DO offer very high end merchandise as they team with very high end retailers. The item I was looking at was over $400 with shipping. I passed.

Actually they DO offer very high end merchandise as they team with very high end retailers. The item I was looking at was over $400 with shipping. I passed.

Show me because the most expensive swimsuit I found was $120 and it was sold/shipped by Lord and Taylor.

Show me because the most expensive swimsuit I found was $120 and it was sold/shipped by Lord and Taylor.
It was one of those expensive men's jackets. I didn't purchase it as I don't have $500 laying around for one.

One has to be careful at both W and A as dropshippers often charge prices that are just way out of line. Neither A nor W is going to tell a vendor they can't charge whatever they want as, just like eBay, they get percentage of all transactions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back