Archived Are we now matching in-store clearance prices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pellinore

Life sucks and nothing good can come of it.
Seems like this question has more than one answer....depending on who is the requesting of the clearance price match and who is working at Guest Services.

I don't think so, but I haven't seen it tested. One of the new kids I was working with tonight had a guest ask if we would price match another store that had a $90 for $30. N00b assumed they were lying, which is obviously possible, but it's also possible that store has different clearance than we do, or the item was returned & repackaged, or whatever.

I told him we didn't price match other stores, and in any case you're Hardlines so send any discount questions like that to the LOD, as it's well above our pay grade.

Last edited:
I think that there needs to be a clarification from the upper level of management.

We've NEVER price-matched clearance because stores' clearance moves according to sales demographic.
Something that sits on an endcap for weeks at 70% at one store may have been blown out after the first markdown at another.
When I was looking for suit components for husband after they'd gone clearance, his pants size was sold out at 30% off.
A lo-vol store several miles away had them at 50% off but when I went to check out, they came up at 70%.

Last edited:
I would only do it as an exception if the guest was super nice and there was an obvious reason. Like they need two but the clearance store only had one. 9 times out of 10 it's off a registry.

Clearanced items are set to an individual store and even specific colors, styles, and items.

All the Purple shirts of Brand X are clearanced but not the Black shirts of Brand X.

The Brand Y towels at store 1234 maybe clearanced but they are not clearanced at 4321 just up the road.

From an operational perspective, who makes the call per store on what to clearance? Is it done in the Zebra?

Price changes come from corporate and are activated in store by whoever is doing pricing at your store. It's under the Price Change setting in myWork.

I do not price match other stores’ clearance but I will price match target.com clearance. It doesn’t make sense that we honor target.com prices but not when they’re clearance. If it’s more than a couple dollars I’ll ask permission. But i usually tell the guest we really aren’t supposed to honor those prices but since it’s a couple dollars I’ll do it for them (so they don’t expect it)

I do not price match other stores’ clearance but I will price match target.com clearance. It doesn’t make sense that we honor target.com prices but not when they’re clearance. If it’s more than a couple dollars I’ll ask permission. But i usually tell the guest we really aren’t supposed to honor those prices but since it’s a couple dollars I’ll do it for them (so they don’t expect it)
Exactly this for me.

One thing comes to mind, if your store is behind on markdowns and a guest is asking why such and such a store has it on clearance and we don't you can check it on the MyDevice. Same goes for items in your store where one size is marked down and another one is not.

Of course not! Things go on clearance some times before other stores because they are trying to sell it! A low volume store will put things on clearance before a high volume store and then the high volume store depends what goes on clearance I think! We never price match clearance

One thing comes to mind, if your store is behind on markdowns and a guest is asking why such and such a store has it on clearance and we don't you can check it on the MyDevice. Same goes for items in your store where one size is marked down and another one is not.
Doesn't that ding Price Change if you scan it in price change mode and it does the **New Price Activated** thing and you don't print the tickets? I know it dings then if you A-Activate it, so my store has always just told them that different stores have different clearance schedules and that we don't match other stores' prices.

Doesn't that ding Price Change if you scan it in price change mode and it does the **New Price Activated** thing and you don't print the tickets? I know it dings then if you A-Activate it, so my store has always just told them that different stores have different clearance schedules and that we don't match other stores' prices.
I am not sure how the whole price change ding works. We have had issues where an item is marked down in a certain size and the same item in another size is not because they are behind with price change.

I had a lazy PriceChange team at one store that made clearance stickers only from one clothing piece and clearance everything from that. Cashiers and myself always had to verify the clothing's actual DPCI and the stickers DPCI.

I had a lazy PriceChange team at one store that made clearance stickers only from one clothing piece and clearance everything from that. Cashiers and myself always had to verify the clothing's actual DPCI and the stickers DPCI.
I'm amazed when I find clearance stickers on items when the DPCI's don't even match, not even close. And it is not due to ticket switching.

I know that matching other stores is a "no, no." However, a newer GSTL said that we would match our own store clearance prices.....I told her that we didn't do that but she waasn't sure if she should believe me or not....she decided on the "not" side of believing me. She's been with us for a few months and I've been here for 12 years. Who would you believe?

I know that matching other stores is a "no, no." However, a newer GSTL said that we would match our own store clearance prices.....I told her that we didn't do that but she waasn't sure if she should believe me or not....she decided on the "not" side of believing me. She's been with us for a few months and I've been here for 12 years. Who would you believe?
Show her the policy

In the grand scheme of this thread, where does this fall under making it right for the guest? We have a company policy regarding price matching. However, we also have certain policies in place and if a guest gets upset we are told to make it right for them. So, if we have a guest who gets upset about the price change policy and then complains we are told to make it right for them. What is the definition of making it right? Just because a guest does not like a policy does not mean we should be "making it right". It's more like giving a kid a sucker to pacify their tantrum.

Last edited:
In the grand scheme of this thread, where does this fall under making it right for the guest? We have a company policy regarding price matching. However, we also have certain policies in place and if a guest gets upset we are told to make it right for them. So, if we have a guest who gets upset about the price change policy and then complains we are told to make it right for them. What is the definition of making it right? Just because a guest does not like a policy does not mean we should be "making it right". It's more like giving a kid a sucker to pacify their tantrum.
Certain policies are left open ended to allow room for making it right, certain policies are not.

Certain policies are left open ended to allow room for making it right, certain policies are not.
Everything policy can be stretched to make it right. You sound like every other entitled GS team member that seems to forgot you have a TL and it’s their call not yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back