Archived Asked to be Team Trainer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently told my GSTL that I would be interested in training new team members in guest service/check lanes and she came up to me today saying that she would live to have me do that and that I just need to do some quizzes in workbench before I get started. Any tips or suggestions for training new cashiers/GSTMs? Also, would that mean more pay if I were to be training people? Thanks in advance!

Who needs a raise when you can have fame and eternal glory? Oh wait...

There is no raise for becoming a team trainer. There's a chance you might get more hours in November because they'll need you to train new TMs, but the only thing that's for sure is that you'll get a new name tag that says "TRAINER" on it.

Quizes???

I never had to take a quiz.

Actually at my stores, everybody was a Team Trainer. Only a select few actually got the special name badge.

No specific TMs trained new TMs. It was whoever was the most experience TM scheduled or the TM with the lightest work load that got the duty of training.

Last edited:
Quizes???

I never had to take a quiz.

Actually at my stores, everybody was a Team Trainer. Only a select few actually got the special name badge.

No specific TMs trained new TMs. It was whoever was the most experience TM scheduled or the TM with the lightest work load that got the duty of training.

There is a quiz to take for every work center once the learning plan has been completed. The special name badge is earned by those that actually completed the training module, passed the quiz and were assigned the job. Everyone probably is a trainer, but I would guess that there are actually trained Team Trainers in your store.

Sounds like something was finally implemented after I left Target. Or just depends on the store.

Years ago, my HR just gave me the title and bade for Front End team trainer, and told me at some point we were going to keep a log book of new TMs training to turn into our TLs. And was supposedly a great recognition and title to move up.

They eventually said that initial team trainer training program failed. And basically gave the titles out like candy selecting a couple TMs for each area as Team Trainers. And their photo were put up in TMSC. No formal title, no raise, and no recognition was actually paired with it. We had TMs 2-4 weeks in training
new hires.

But most of the time, a new TM was just paired with any regular TM. Didn't matter if they were a Team Trainer or not.

Last edited:
Who needs a raise when you can have fame and eternal glory? Oh wait...

There is no raise for becoming a team trainer. There's a chance you might get more hours in November because they'll need you to train new TMs, but the only thing that's for sure is that you'll get a new name tag that says "TRAINER" on it.

I hated this damn name tag when I was a TL!!!

I swear to god, most guests can *not* read. Most of them always thought it said "trainee"... so when a TM had to call me over to the boat (guest wanted to speak to a supervisor, register needed an override, etc.) the guest would often have an attitude about why a "trainee" was talking to them.

Now that I am a TM, I don't have a trainer name tag and will never be foolish enough to become a "trainer" again. It's a suckers job, honestly. More stress and responsibility for no pay increase, and worst of all, at my store they actually coach trainers if the TMs they train screw up. There have been "trainers" at my store that have literally been called in to the office and been written up for failing to train new TMs on time (finishing their learning plans on time) or for not training them "well enough" on a certain thing.

So in other words, not only are you getting more work for no pay increase, you also are risking write ups if the idiot you train turns around and blames you ("oh, my trainer told me to do it this way") for mistakes they make.

*Might* be worth it if you seriously want to promote to TL and honestly think you have a chance to do it, but other than that, it's not worth it.

Last edited:
We don't even get cool trainer badges...I am not a trainer but sometimes become a defacto trainer because they throw them on the line and if I don't tell them what to do, everything is everywhere...

There's zero incentive besides it looking nice come review time at our store. It helps with a raise but I'm not sure it's worth the effort and those damn trainer meetings.

Sure, there's no pay raise, but becoming a team trainer opens new doors for your career at Target. Literal doors. To special team trainer breakrooms. And secret team trainer passageways to work that bypass traffic. But take heed of the strict team trainer customs and etiquette, or else you'll be stripped of your elevated status and forced to drag home the Stone of Shame.
Don't forget the secret handshake....

Thanks for the info everyone! Even though it's pretty ridiculous that I won't get a pay increase, I think it will still be worth it to do. Besides, I'll mostly be training seasonal hires, most of who won't make it beyond their 90 days. What kind of rediculous questions can I expect for the "quiz"?

Yeah I recently requested a new name tag that says nothing but my name on it, because after years of wearing the "Trainer" nametag, too many people have thought it said "Trainee" and I don't think I need to have a special nametag to prove I'm an official trainer.

Not that we do any sort of learning plans anymore. Pretty much I teach them how to zone and read a PDA... can't remember the last time I trained someone to do something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back