Asked to do carts but not a CA

Is it against policy for TLs to ask different TMs to do carts even though none of us are CA/FSA and nowhere near the job title/description? Plus, we were told not to use the pusher because we are not certified to use it. Now I’m assuming OSHA certifications have a higher pay rate and therefore TLs are responsible for the equipment not to be misused and/or hire a designated CA. Just wondering about anyone’s else experience with this, TIA.

Anyone else cringe when they see this title? I've had to get carts more times then I can count and I am not a cart attendant. We need carts for our guests and that's why I get them even though I hate it. Everyone at the front end who is physically capable can be asked to get carts. We've had to have people from GM do it as well. Our SETLs get carts and so do a few other TLs and our ETL. Our former SD would also get carts.

Is it against policy for TLs to ask different TMs to do carts even though none of us are CA/FSA and nowhere near the job title/description? Plus, we were told not to use the pusher because we are not certified to use it. Now I’m assuming OSHA certifications have a higher pay rate and therefore TLs are responsible for the equipment not to be misused and/or hire a designated CA. Just wondering about anyone’s else experience with this, TIA.

Short answer, no.
Long answer, the managers can ask you to do anything that meet the needs of the store unless you have a disability that keeps you from doing it or you lack the training. You don't need a pusher to go get carts.

My guess is he put in his cart time during those 12+ years. I am in the "I don't unload the trailer" club after 15 years of doing it. Also, since he was an "older" advocate there may be restrictions on certain physically demanding jobs that you aren't aware of and aren't your business.
So you get special privileges because you've been at Target for 10+ years? No wonder the turnover for cart attendants (and in general) is so high since no one wants to get stuck with cart duties by themselves. I've seen cart attendants get berated if there aren't enough carts left and also get disciplined for nearly hitting compliance but if they went on meal earlier, there wouldn't have been enough carts left. I should have been clearer, I wish that there was more than one cart attendant at a time so it would have been easier for them to complete all of their duties appropriately.

I still remember an incident when one of our cart attendants became openly frustrated with being asked to clean the bathrooms by an SETL. This SETL was so lazy and she could have cleaned the bathrooms but because she didn't want to, he ended up having to do it. I even offered to help him but I couldn't since I was assigned to carts and baskets and I couldn't leave my position.

So you get special privileges because you've been at Target for 10+ years? No wonder the turnover for cart attendants (and in general) is so high since no one wants to get stuck with cart duties by themselves. I've seen cart attendants get berated if there aren't enough carts left and also get disciplined for nearly hitting compliance but if they went on meal earlier, there wouldn't have been enough carts left. I should have been clearer, I wish that there was more than one cart attendant at a time so it would have been easier for them to complete all of their duties appropriately.

I still remember an incident when one of our cart attendants became openly frustrated with being asked to clean the bathrooms by an SETL. This SETL was so lazy and she could have cleaned the bathrooms but because she didn't want to, he ended up having to do it. I even offered to help him but I couldn't since I was assigned to carts and baskets and I couldn't leave my position.
No special privileges, but just because you never saw this person do a particular job does not mean that they have never done it. Again, you do not know their personal limitations and it is not your business. Why am I in the "I don't unload the trailer" club? A serious injury on the job prevents me from lifting and pushing above a certain weight. It's nobody's business what my health conditions are except my leaders nor do I judge others who may or may not have other reasons. Nobody is under any obligation to cover your shift. You asked and it was answered. An SETL doesn't have to clean a restroom, but does have to make sure that an appropriately trained person does. The SETL is your boss, like him/her/they or not. It's not like the FOS attendant was told to cover the barista or receiver break or to set rear seasonal or meet with the vendor in market. Restrooms are part of the job! I seriously will never understand the number of people that post that they are offended for being asked or told to do the job that they are hired to do and worry about others who they don't think work as hard as they do.

I've helped get carts a couple of times but I'm only able to push three at a time max. I did a really big load once and almost passed out, lol. With my asthma and lack of physical conditioning, my stamina is shit. I can handle an eight hour day running around the store, occasionally lifting things, but no way would I be able to do a shift getting carts or throwing a truck.

No special privileges, but just because you never saw this person do a particular job does not mean that they have never done it. Again, you do not know their personal limitations and it is not your business. Why am I in the "I don't unload the trailer" club? A serious injury on the job prevents me from lifting and pushing above a certain weight. It's nobody's business what my health conditions are except my leaders nor do I judge others who may or may not have other reasons. Nobody is under any obligation to cover your shift. You asked and it was answered. An SETL doesn't have to clean a restroom, but does have to make sure that an appropriately trained person does. The SETL is your boss, like him/her/they or not. It's not like the FOS attendant was told to cover the barista or receiver break or to set rear seasonal or meet with the vendor in market. Restrooms are part of the job! I seriously will never understand the number of people that post that they are offended for being asked or told to do the job that they are hired to do and worry about others who they don't think work as hard as they do.
I agree that you should listen to your boss in general. However, this SETL was such a problem and so disliked by everyone that when I put in my two weeks notice, my ETL-HR begged me to stay by informing me that said SETL wouldn't be here for a few months because she would be on LOA. Maybe she was desperate since turnover was so high but that tells me that the SETL wasn't meeting expectations properly and it led to other team members became frustrated dealing with her and resentful about their workload.
By the same token, I've been called and asked to cover carts for my shift even though I was scheduled service advocate. I shouldn't be under any obligation to say yes although my ETL-SE would pressure me and ask why I couldn't fill in.
Edit: Just for clarification, I was a checkout advocate so I wasn't scheduled regularly as a front of store attendant.

Last edited:
By the same token, I've been called and asked to cover carts for my shift even though I was scheduled service advocate.
At our store, all FOS are trained for all jobs. Even if you're scheduled as a service advocate, you are FOS and may be moved to another FOS area. Same is true for GM, market, style. If you are trained for any of those areas, you should not be surprised if you are asked to help out in an area other than your "usual". Frozen may be moved to dry market, kitchen moved to dec home, NIT moved to mens... doesn't matter. That's your team. If you don't get that, then you made the right choice to give your notice. With regard to your lead not being there due to LOA, all that says is that she will be on LOA. LOA is her choice; nobody makes you go on LOA for not meeting expectations. If you don't meet expectations you go on to the next job.

At this point, I don't see any reason to continue this conversation. Like I said, I've already put in my two weeks notice and I've got a lot of other things to worry about. OP has probably already resolved this issue one way or the other and all I wanted to do was provide another perspective.

I understand the front end’s struggles with getting carts sometimes. And if they ask my team to get them, I go out there with my team and fucking get them. We tag team it and get it over with quickly. Whole store has to support one another fairly. Not acting like something is not your job all the time just because it’s not your home department. Sometimes you do have to set your foot down. Others you have to be fair.

It's not the good 'ol days anymore in ANY company, where you simply do your descripted job duties and nothing else.
Sorry if this is a stupid question but when do you think things changed and companies added requirements like "other duties as assigned"? I'm 27 and I don't have too much experience with the job market outside of Target.

Back