No Exchanges?

Long time former TM (15 years) turned guest and I just had a baffling experience. For context: the majority of my time at Target was spent working the front end in various roles including GSA later GSTL. I purchased a video game last night that had a manufacturer defect on the disc, so this morning I bring my receipt and the product for an exchange. I even helpfully called earlier and had the electronics team member bring a copy of that game to the service desk. When I tell the team member what I'd like to do they say "we don't do exchanges any more." From the place I was standing I could see no less than six signs that all had the word exchange on it including 3 of which specifically mentioned opened video games. Having done for this so long I was confused when they said they could return the opened and used game and allow me to repurchase a new copy. This blows my mind because it's worse for both the guest and Target any form of media could be ripped or copied and they were basically telling me I could just return it for my money back. All I wanted was a simple exchange of the same exact item because mine was defective and it turned in a much lengthier process for no reason. I did eventually leave with a new still sealed copy of the game, but I am at a loss for words as to how insane this is.

Is this a company wide policy or did I just run into a team member who is misinformed?

Target no longer allows exchanges. It is company wide. The system will not allow it. All items must be returned and repurchased.also opened video games are not allowed to be returned, the only reason yours was allowed return is because it was defective and you were buying the exact same one to replace the defective one.

Last edited:
That is absolutely insane. The website still has an exchange policy, the back of the receipt mentions exchanges and all of the signing does. This seems tremendously half-assed and a terrible policy all around.

Target.com Return Policy

Target's Return Policy
Most unopened items sold by Target in new condition and returned within 90 days will receive a refund or exchange. The return window for items sold on Target.com begins once the order has been invoiced. Invoicing happens when any part of the order is shipped, delivered by a Shipt shopper or made ready for pick up. Some items sold by Target have a modified return policy noted on the receipt, packing slip, Target policy board (refund exceptions), Target.com or in the item description. Items that are opened or damaged or do not have a receipt may be denied a refund or exchange.

Edit: Under the tab labeled "Are there any return exceptions?"

The following items are eligible only for exchange if opened:
  • Music, movies, video games and software (exchange for same title, for same or different gaming platform)
  • Airbeds (exchange for similar item)

Last edited:
It isn't an exchange as in a single transaction, but for all other purposes it is an exchange. I think with funds travelling from one receipt to the next with perhaps 10+ exchanges and then when ultimately the guest wants their money back to the original form of payment, it might be too messy. This way if someone wants to exchange they do so in two transactions. Refunding the first transaction into either the original form of payment, or a target gift card or in the case of a no receipt a mech return card. And then making a new distinct transaction with X date instead of something that could be from 6 months or even years ago. It was always super messy because every other form of payment allowed for exchanges where the money floated except the Target card, which always had to be done as a refund and then new purchase. It never made sense that everyone could do it as an exchange and have the return money go toward a new purchase except Red cards/360 blah blah blah.

I do think they should remove the big word exchanges. I also wish they wouldn't have pickup listed over by the registry separate from returns, because we rarely have a dedicated pickup line.

That is absolutely insane. The website still has an exchange policy, the back of the receipt mentions exchanges and all of the signing does. This seems tremendously half-assed and a terrible policy all around.

Target.com Return Policy

Edit: Under the tab labeled "Are there any return exceptions?

The tm should have just done it and not said anything. In essence the process is to return and buy. But in the eyes of a guest it’s still an exchange. The tm doesn’t need to bother explaining or confusing guests. Just do it the way they need to do it and give the guest the new item.
Good in theory but, when you have to refund the guests card and then recharge the card for the new one, you should probably explain what you’re doing. Guests will definitely ask why do I have to insert my card I’m just doing an exchange.

I bought the wrong size clothing that was 30% off from the weekend. Had to go to another store for the right size and I was told no exchanges. Would do refund give me a gift card and I would have to go to checkouts to pay for the correct size. I would've have been paying full price. I asked for a manager and they ranged overrode it so I got the sale price.
How would this be handle at your store so the guest doesn't have to pay full price at the Frontline or especially at sco. I didn't tell anyone I was a team member.

I bought the wrong size clothing that was 30% off from the weekend. Had to go to another store for the right size and I was told no exchanges. Would do refund give me a gift card and I would have to go to checkouts to pay for the correct size. I would've have been paying full price. I asked for a manager and they ranged overrode it so I got the sale price.
How would this be handle at your store so the guest doesn't have to pay full price at the Frontline or especially at sco. I didn't tell anyone I was a team member.
If I was the one at the service desk I would have done a refund then rung up the new items and changed the price to the sale price. I would not have needed a manager so, long as the price change wasn’t something crazy like 90% off or something.

Good in theory but, when you have to refund the guests card and then recharge the card for the new one, you should probably explain what you’re doing. Guests will definitely ask why do I have to insert my card I’m just doing an exchange.
You also run the risk of tying up part of the guest's credit/debit with the 'new' purchase while their bank takes a few days to process the return, a problem for guests who are close to their credit limit or have an insufficient balance for debits.

You also run the risk of tying up part of the guest's credit/debit with the 'new' purchase while their bank takes a few days to process the return, a problem for guests who are close to their credit limit or have an insufficient balance for debits.

Because banks are in a close second with insurance companies for being the most awful blots on civilization.

If I was the one at the service desk I would have done a refund then rung up the new items and changed the price to the sale price. I would not have needed a manager so, long as the price change wasn’t something crazy like 90% off or something.
Agreed.

Guest service should just do a price change and get them out the door and help the other thousand guests waiting in line at our understaffed store.

Back