Archived Asking the Same Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
A customer came in tonight asking if she could buy a model of a floor lamp. At my store the answer is no, and when I told her she kept telling me to ask "someone higher up" if they could make an exception for her.
Now, would you find a way to the guest "the answer will be no" or asking someone higher up anyway? My only problem with asking is the fact that the TLs and LODs are hearing you ask the same question over and over making you seem like you're not listening.

I never browse this side of the forum so hopefully this isn't a usual or silly question or anything. In probably overthing it, just curious to how other people handle this situation.

When a guest isn't taking your no as an answer all you can do is get someone higher up to give them a no.
It's not your fault they are idiots.
So just put in a call for the LOD or TL and have them talk to the guest.
On the lamps you might mention that they are display models that don't have the electric parts (I've built them).

They wont blame you- they certainly (should) understand that some guests will only take the supervisors word when they aret getting what they want from a lowly employee....not your fault.

I just tell them the answer is no, I refuse to call a LOD when I already know their response, but I don't think most LOD's would blame a TM for not being that assertive.

The answer is no, has always been no, and will always be no. I'm not going to waste my colleagues time having them come over and repeat what I've already told you. Additionally that light has no electrical components and will not actually function as a light even if I were to sell it to you.

I often have guests get angry and leave in a huff, but they at least realize I'm not going to budge and that they're not going to get whatever they requested. They might not be happy about it, but that's their issue.

If I am dealing with a guest and they ask to speak to someone further up the food chain....I have no issue passing them off to a team lead or lod. Even, if I know the lod is going to tell them the same thing .

I always say no. I tell them it's missing the cord and electrical components if they're display appliances/electronics.
If they want furniture displays I explain the safety reasons. If they get persistent I usually just say a final no and ask if they need help with anything else.

One of my ETLs was fed up with this guest that would not take no for an answer for a vacuum display.
It was missing the cord but the guest insisted we sell it. The ETL gave up and just sold it. Minutes later the guest comes back
wanting to return it because it was missing the cord.

If a guest won't take no for an answer, give them a reason instead (like parts missing or liability). If they won't take a reason, you just have to give them someone else's no. Call the lod.

LOVE the days when even Corporate says No!

I always told those nagging guests that Target does not own the displays. And we are required to have them. If we sold them without the company's permission, we could lose that company's business. I also add that some displays are not comparable in quality to the actual boxed item.

Last edited:
I do not bother, if a guest can't understand it has no internals to function, they deserve to leave in a huff. "Sorry we do not sell displays, they do not have internal parts, it doesn't work and will never work. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back