Archived At a loss for words....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a very long-time HR team member. And when I say 'very', it's measured in decades. As part of the new 'screening' process of applicants, one of the questions is,"If we were to offer you this position, you would be offered $8.00 an hour. Would you still be interested?" Many times I've been asked by the applicant, "Well, is there an opportunity for growth and advancement to a higher salaried position?" I find myself stammering and trying to come up with some snappy answer, but I'm a horrible liar. Any suggestions? (Even humorous ones will be appreciated). Unfortunately, the only thing that goes through my head is Jerry Seinfeld saying, "Not bloody likely!"

At my store we do promote a lot of TMs from within so when I speak to potential new hires its easier for me to be honest about promotions. I usually tell them that "you determine your own future at Target. If you're interested in moving up with the company there is certainly a potential for that in the future for those who want to". I think it sort of points to the fact that its up to you where you go within Target. I know a lot of people will disagree with me, stating that there are plenty of people who try hard but don't get promoted, but then again it just depends on your store environment and what you actually consider to be working hard.

You can definitely advance in our store. One of our Sr. TL's has no degree, and had no prior work experience before working at our store, she was a stay at home mom for 18 years.

She's been at the store for three years now, started as a FA TM, then moved to being a GSA, then a TL, and then a Sr. TL.

"Sure there is, but by that time you'll be so burnt out that if you have any part of your soul left, you will be seeking other opportunities anyway."

Or

"Sure. And you also have the opportunity to win tonight's Powerball jackpot if you go purchase a ticket."

Or

"Yep. But the pay for those positions isn't worth the headache, so you'll still be underpaid and not making a living wage."

Or

"Let's be honest, answering that question right now, when the odds are about 50/50 of you even being here in 90 days, is pretty pointless."

Last edited:
"Sure there is, but by that time you'll be so burnt out that if you have any part of your soul left, you will be seeking other opportunities anyway."

THIS. By the time a position finally opened up somewhat within my driving-range I was so burned out I didn't even want it and quit almost right away after accepting it

Or...

"Sure, let's go talk to that GSA who was offered a full 50 cents an hour more...giving her a full $16 to $20 more a week to deal with more hassles than she ever thought possible for a non-management position."

Except that GSA really "is" a management position. I mean, it's not a TL position, but I'd certainly still refer to it as a position that manages the front end of the store.

It's y'know, manager responsibilities, TM pay, TM authority (to a degree, a cashier arguing with a GSA at our store will get coached and likely put on CA, just not by the GSA themself).

Ah, yes...they like the TMs to believe that. And it might be that way, depending on the day...but most of us to back and forth between, "you're just a TM" to "you're a leader in the building" depending on the day, the leader telling you this, and the phase of the moon. In fact, for a lot of fun, you can get the same lectures/statements in the same day.

PS Judging from what the other GSAs say on here, TLs and ETLs may usually publicly back the GSAs, off stage is an entirely different matter.

Last edited:
"I'm sorry...by the time you hit your 90 days up, you will have too much experience to be considered for any upper management positions."

Heh, I wish that wasn't true, but does seem to be the case at our store. Our Sr. TL's worked their way there and got promoted. The ETL's walked in ETL's.

THIS. By the time a position finally opened up somewhat within my driving-range I was so burned out I didn't even want it and quit almost right away after accepting it

No kidding? I'm sorry to hear that! You ended up with a Starbucks TL position right? I see your sig says you are a guest now... you didn't want to just demote back to another position?

I'm so glad you mentioned this because I always found it awkward to mention the fact that it's a minimum wage job with little room for merit increases. I always emphasize the fact that Target does promote from within a fair amount, and I tell them that they need to work their butts off if they want to earn one of those higher positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back