Archived Attachments...........I'm tired prob. spelled wrong :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Electronics, having trouble getting attachments (I have a clopen so ignore my spelling) ...........Cannot tell ppl they need HDMI cable when they don't, ect.............. we now need 75% rate.......low volume store......any suggestions

Clearance stuff is great for attachments too. Ask for red cards, & esp's too. Member called electronics man has great ideas too. Also, run back room quanitiy report for discontinue & NOP dpci's. flex them to the floor.

Last edited:
I love the new version of AAR reports, it is so good, we are actually green now (first time in 4 years) :D GPS and portable DVDs are not on the report anymore.

For TVs, try to offer DVDs, ''did you check DVDs on sale, or new releases'' for DVD/Blue ray Players and streamers attachments are DVDs and blue rays movies.

If you haven't already, definitely check out that thread from commiecorvus, and search the forum for "AAR" or "Attachment." There are some great tips in there.

The short answer to my AAR secret:

Present it as though you're making sure they won't have to come back for anything. This means soft selling with a customer service focus, if you speak "sales jargon." Prepare some standard lists in your head of things folks always need, but rarely remember.

Some general tips:
* Spend a little time studying sales techniques. Electronics is the only department (to my knowledge) that gets evaluated on both their sales and guest service in performance evaluations - to quote one of my ETLs, "you just have to do both." If one side is your weakness, shore that up.

* There's a good chance, in a low-volume store, that you can spend more time per guest than I can. Do that. Talk to them, find out what they're here for, what they're wanting, what their price range is. Sometimes, it's worth selling a slightly cheaper product and an attachment to meet their comprehensive needs vs the more expensive item (especially true in TV/BD).

* Spend whatever time you can getting to know your standard product line really well. Is there a DVD player in your pull? Take a minute to find out what comes in the box or if it has any unique features. File that info away in your head. It's a quick way to learn almost anything in your department.

* Memorize your ESP info. Having to wait until you're at the boat to give them numbers is going to cost you.

* Just get over that potentially resistant feeling you may have about upselling or cross-selling. There are ethical ways to do both.

* If it has batteries, memory, or can be plugged in, you can sell an ESP on it. Headphones, landlines, calculators, alarm clocks, memory cards. Don't limit yourself to big ticket items or prompts. ESPs count toward your AAR.

Specific ideas:
* Any big ticket item should be charged in a power strip with surge protection. I actually use this check to sell ESPs if they say they don't need it, because in my state we get thunderstorms and snowstorms, which can screw with power lines.

* A lot of things don't come with the connection cable anymore - DVD, BD, gaming consoles, printers. Find out what kind of TV inputs they have. Sell cables as needed.

* Most printers only come with "tester" ink - about 15 pages worth. This can be used to upsell ink, since they're already in store. Paper too.

* Some devices don't have batteries in the remote - or the ones they have are terrible. I use this to upsell both batteries, and rechargable battery set ups, depending on the guest.

* If it can show movies, suggest movies. In fact, suggest cheap ones and/or stuff on sale/new releases. Show them where stuff is, ask what they like.

* Gaming consoles need games to work. If they want to download games, or grab a game with downloadable content, suggest a points card for that service. (If you upsell the REDcard at this point, you can explain to them that they're coming out ahead - 5% off vs retail value of the card if they buy points online) They also need extra controllers for multiplayer, screen protectors/cases for handhelds, extra styli (that thing is tiny, and kids lose stuff all the time - be the parent who thinks ahead and avoids a temper tantrum). If they're playing an MMO, headset is a must, and the AAR counts no matter what kind it is. Skylander avatars for the Skylander Wii bundle. (Also, the rest of that Skylander stuff)

* If you have Apple stuff or tablets, it kind of sells itself - styli, cases, keyboards, screen protection. I've tried to pitch the fancy stuff before (like Sphero or the mounted camera), but it rarely goes anywhere. However, that rejection can often tell me a lot about a more affluent guest, so I do it anyway. Upsell a car charger/extra cable set up if they're going to use that mp3 player in more than one place (and they are).

* Be the person if your department who knows cameras. We clean the displays at night, and I use that time to stay up to snuff on what features things have. Cameras are a huge opportunity to make a sale with attachments (memory), but you have to know the product with confidence.

* Depending on your inventory and clientele, non-contract phones can have a screaming AAR. New lines need minutes to use. Smartphones need screen protection. Everyone needs some sort of case. Most of our non-contract phones don't have headphones in the box, and they count.

This list is not comprehensive, your sales techniques matter, and your mileage may vary.

Hey Mods: Is there an AAR sticky? If not, can there be? This question comes up a lot for Electronics folks.

Last edited:
Electronics, having trouble getting attachments (I have a clopen so ignore my spelling) ...........Cannot tell ppl they need HDMI cable when they don't, ect.............. we now need 75% rate.......low volume store......any suggestions

You don't have to bagger them but always engage the guest when they are buying an attachable item. Find out what they currently have as their current setup and work from there. Tell them how they would benefit. Have an extra set

Find out if they use a cable box/receiver. And how they would benefit from an HDMI cable. Wireless routers should be able attachments now with SmartTVs. Printers always need paper and ink cartridges. ESPs

When they buy a Game system, tell them it would help to have games or extra controller.

Newer cameras always need to stay current with the current flash media. You can only get so many 12Meg pictures onto a 2-4 Gig card, when a 32 Gig can hold more. And if it takes traditional batteries, they will need them.

Just make it a suggestion to their benefit, guests do not always have a set plan to buy attachments. They are just coming in for this big item only. Get them to start thinking that they actually might need this extra thing to run things or see better results.

Last edited:
Cannot tell ppl they need HDMI cable when they don't, ect.......

That all depends. Sometimes they don't, but most of the time they do!

Clearance stuff is great for attachments too. Ask for red cards, & esp's too. Member called electronics man has great ideas too. Also, run back room quanitiy report for discontinue & NOP dpci's. flex them to the floor.

Hi! :D

Harlinesmaster is right! Clearance is awesome for attachments. Suggest those whatever clearance earbuds with that iPod you are selling, as they will be more comfortable (and most likely sound better) than those "earpods" Apple sells these days. NOP stuff is good too!

I actually don't have too much more to add really, ElectricYouth really hit the nail on the head, GTC to him! Yes, you really need to know your product it makes offering attachments a more natural process. I will say this, KNOW what department and class you are selling from. If the guest is purchasing a PS3, the HDMI cables from the TV wall are not going to count as an attachment. This info can be found on workbench.

I love the new version of AAR reports, it is so good, we are actually green now (first time in 4 years) :D GPS and portable DVDs are not on the report anymore.

I love the new reports because it lets me focus on what happened during a specific week if we drop in score. I have noticed though that there is a lot more fluctuation that goes on since it isn't a 4 week average anymore. We were consistantly #1 in our district for the longest time, now it jumps up and down a little more often.

Gift cards will help you get those esp's.

Indeed! That's the one thing that is nice, at least if the ESP is purchased separately, it still counts because it is attached to the reciept.

I don't get it? ESP can not be purchased separately. It needs to be on the same receipt.

Yes it can. Just scan the appropriate dollar amount on the plan, and after you scan the TAR #, the register will ask if this was a previous purchase, then you hit K1 for yes, and scan the other reciept that the item is for. The guest then needs to keep both reciepts for records. It's great for the people that either can't get it TODAY, or want some time to think about it (or in this case using the promo giftcard). We get people that come back all the time that decided to get it later.

My store just voided that item from the original receipt and re rung the item with ESP. For reference I have Electronics Championship Training in front of me, it says
'Guest can buy plans for a product within 90 days of purchase. They must bring the original receipt to the Guest Service Desk to have the sale voided and re-rung. (You do not need the actual product.)'

CrazyTarget -

The trick Electronics Man is talking about works (and it happens to us a lot). The gift cards are great for that.

And hey, Electronics Man? It's "her." :girl_wink:

The coupons we had in last week's ad, was great for attachments too. I got a red card on 2 iTunes cards. They were buying only one, then tell them about the coupon & 5% on top of that, etc.. Ta-da!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back