Availabilty

A TM complained to me that they are giving her too many hours.

She works at Target part time.

I tried to explain to that at our store they look at availabilty and ignore maximum hours.

I did tell her to restrict her availability (which might get denied).

Thoughts?

I had the change my deaired hours and submit a change of availability to reflect the mx hours I wanted. They still over scheduled me but it was way more managable.

Double check to make sure desired hours are what you want. Happened with someone at my store desired hours were wrong.
Our store is known for ignoring maximum hours.

I told that TM to change their availability and go from there.

I changed my availability years ago because I didn't want a completely different start everyday I work.

Seems like more TMs complain about too few hours than too many, but I wouldn't mind have fewer hours. Sometimes so exhausted by the time I get to a day off that I get nothing done.
I know of at least one TM who'd like more but a new TM in the same dept. is getting them instead. The new one is so new that it's too soon to know how she's going to work out, the other has been there long enough to see that she does her tasks well and interacts well with guests. (There's a third TM in that dept., fairly new, who's already called off so many shifts that I'm surprised she's still put on the schedule.)
My store isn't generally a bad place to work - stable leadership, more stable than usual roster of TMs compared to other retail. But there's been some struggle with finding good TMs. Another veteran TM and I were talking yesterday about a TM who'd recently left and how there's little accountability for even the basics like showing up - the gone TM started out okay and pretty quickly went downhill, calling off frequently, taking long breaks, etc.
TLs seem loathe to hold TMs accountable, but then that breeds poor morale among the hard working TMs.

"TLs seem loathe to hold TMs accountable, but then that breeds poor morale among the hard working TMs."

This!

I think you know whether a employee is bad within the first three to six months no matter the industry.

Our store can't replace a TM easily so keeps bad ones way too long.

Our store also thinks a starting wage over $15 is so much more than anyone else.

Our store also thinks a starting wage over $15 is so much more than anyone else.
This reminds me of when I worked in a different industry, also generally low-paying and with high turnover, but I was part of office staff instead of on the front line. (Think a TL level instead of TM.) The company I worked for had a reputation in the area of treating our employees really well (which we did) and, even though we didn't pay more, we held onto our employees longer and that was good for everyone.
My point is that even if the starting wage isn't a lot more, it's competitive enough that if a business hires well and then treats its people well, they stay. They feel valued and respected and even though those things don't pay the bills, they do have value.
Sometimes, that seems true at my store and sometimes not.

Back