Back to pushing loyalty?

Is it just my store or are other stores back to pushing RedCards & Circle? We are drowning on the front lanes due to team members being out on LOA; out of control driveups & hours cut to the bare minimum so there is no one for backups.

We are trying to run with one Guest Service, one advocate, one SCO & SETL/GSA until noon every day. No FOS attendant until 4:30.

As of this past Monday we were told that Red Card goals MUST be met in store. EVERY guest must get the Circle speech & driveups MUST be at 90 seconds. It is a nightmare.

Everyone's patience has been stretched to the limit. I have never had to deal with the team member drama I am dealing with this week.

I don't even want to think about the return nightmare we are going to have on Monday.

Well.... let's see here, we went in two months from 4 million unemployed to 26 million unemployed. Credit issuers don't want to issue new credit accounts to unemployed persons, for obvious reasons. Newly jobless people frightened of a serious depression aren't really receptive to signing up for a so-called debit RC, they are far more likely to be aggressively comparison-shopping Target against other stores right now because they have time on their hands.
Just to confirm this phenomenon, look no further than this article:
Borrowers Beware: Card Issuers Are Cutting Credit Limits Without Warning

If Corporate seriously thinks they can push RCs, they need to have a "come to Jesus" talk with credit underwriters at TD Bank, the issuer of credit for credit Redcards. TD Bank is not immune from a widespread Wall Street concern of sharply increased delinquencies on consumer debts.

Honestly, I think it is our SE ETL. She is OBSESSED with metrics & "Stay Sharp Status". With the massive cuts in hours, the front lanes team is already stretched to the max. The governor of my state is ALL about getting everything open. We have been crazy busy.

Wow what douchbags. In times where most people lost their jobs they shove their fucking red card agenda up people's asses. The guest and the cahisher don't need this kind of pressure. Red cards need shoved up corporate's asses sideways.

So how many vehicles per hour of this “loyalty” should we be able to push? Just want to make sure I’m going the correct pace, I’m not sure how big the casepacks are

One Red Card per advocate per day is what SE ETL from Fantasy Target wants. Of course, because SFS have taken so much payroll, front lane hours have been cut. We are the first area to lose hours. I am on final CA; if things ever get back to some semblance of normalcy, I will be termed so I am just trying not to drown. Despite shelter at home ordinances, my store has been crazy busy nearly every day. Suburban mom Karen doesn't know what to do with her hell spawn so they hang out at Target.

One Red Card per advocate per day is what SE ETL from Fantasy Target wants. Of course, because SFS have taken so much payroll, front lane hours have been cut. We are the first area to lose hours. I am on final CA; if things ever get back to some semblance of normalcy, I will be termed so I am just trying not to drown. Despite shelter at home ordinances, my store has been crazy busy nearly every day. Suburban mom Karen doesn't know what to do with her hell spawn so they hang out at Target.
From your mention of being "on final CA" (I italicized in your quote for emphasis), it's possible that you are being singled out by this SE-ETL with the demand to produce 1 RC application per day. In order to make it appear that you in particular aren't being singled out, that ETL is communicating this expectation to all of your GAs. If this is the scenario, and this is just an educated guess, you are caught in a very unfortunate and humiliating situation by SE-ETL. They are playing mind games with your head, concealing their motives and covering their "non-discriminatory" rear end by communicating the same RC production quota to your fellow team members.

You should keep a detailed diary of each work shift. If possible, remember the names and times of interactions particularly anything involving your co-TMs, your leaders and the SE-ETL.

Failure to achieve the RC production quota demand could be a ruse to justify your termination, particularly if your SE-ETL can subtly provoke you into making an off-the-cuff verbal comment or objection about the situation that they can then misquote on paper as "evidence" of wilful misconduct or insubordination.

I would hope this worst-case scenario does not materialize, but this kind of painful mental abuse has been known to happen when managers are bound and determined to liquidate a subordinate's employment -- and NOT just at Target.

Last edited:
On a related note I got a "we're focusing more on productivity" talk from a TL. The report says this is how long it takes to do a certain uboat, flat, whatever and that's how long you need to take to do it. Backstock and trash included. Except in C/D, you're not going to get that done. It's impossible. H&H and social distancing are not compatible with "do this in 1 hour" because everybody and their sister wants that shit right now for some reason

I was actually starting to enjoy working here again, but this fixed that right up.

Oh, and check in after that 1 hour so you can be told you should have had it done already. Also check in before break, after break...

you cannot performance someone for not getting redcards
But you can for not asking
Exactly. Same thing happened at Sears, it was all about credit credit credit, and then when they started the rewards club, same thing, so you had to push both. They would pull people into the office and talk to them about their numbers and even write them up sometimes, but as long as they were asking every customer, they could not be fired. I did "observations" sometimes and rarely did a cashier not ask.

We had some long-time cashiers who hadn't hit their credit goals for years.

But you can for not asking

right, which is why nobody should be getting in trouble over an incredibly simple thing imo

One should not be fired over not constantly asking people hey want our shitty card.

and my “cart” attendant shouldn’t have to fish literal shit out of toilets but it’s right there in the job description so

you cannot performance someone for not getting redcards
That's the official policy. The real problem arises when you have a new ETL fresh out of university and out of "Target Business College" (management equivalent of Army Basic Training "boot camp"). Depending on their SD and district, the new ETL may feel extreme pressure to meet or exceed RC quotas each and every week, no matter what it takes. My guess is that if someone really isn't getting RC signups and the ETL feels it's the TM's fault, they'll start looking at other aspects of the TM's "performance" and start hyper-documenting a "performancing out" scenario based on other "deficiencies".

Long after I'm dead and gone, Target will finally abandon the RC. Deal with it.

but if you do not quota team members how do you know who is or isnt getting redcards

like, the only way that works is if you have a fresh etl who sets up an entire system that is contrary to company policy that can be documented and used in an integrity hotline call/email

but if you do not quota team members how do you know who is or isnt getting redcards
They aren't required to tell you who else is getting RC signups though sometimes your TL or ETL will name names of high performers which I have been at times. They track signups you've gotten when you are logged in under your TM number. Your ETL or TL can ask what your RC goal is for today, or how many RC signups you obtained today.

Like I said, only long after I'm dead and gone will Target finally abandon the RC. The business model desperately depends on the RC for many reasons. For a very tiny number of prospective Target guests (and I'm guessing maybe 1%), one reason they shop at walmart rather than target is that wally doesn't endlessly question them about the redcard.

I love my Redcard but mine is debit, not credit. A regular guest who has a regular ATM card should definitely get the Redcard, no reason not to, really. I wish I'd gotten mine and the Target app a lot sooner.

Credit is a whole different ballgame. I know I can't be trusted with them, got myself into trouble many years ago and vowed never to get another credit card.

I love my Redcard but mine is debit, not credit. A regular guest who has a regular ATM card should definitely get the Redcard, no reason not to, really. I wish I'd gotten mine and the Target app a lot sooner.
Yeah but now is not the time to push it. If you store leadership wants you to throw "5% savings with red card and extended returns and exclusive offers" into the check out conversation, nothing wrong with that but any kind of pushing or making the conversation stressful is uncalled for. Out goal is around 11 and we usually make or surpass that that with online applications so we aren't even told to worry about mentioning it.

right, which is why nobody should be getting in trouble over an incredibly simple thing imo

and my “cart” attendant shouldn’t have to fish literal shit out of toilets but it’s right there in the job description so
Cart people don’t have to do that.

Back