Back to pushing loyalty?

Online applications are helpful although the individual TM gets no recognition for same.

The debit RC is a decent option, except for one aspect: transactions clear more slowly than when using bank-issued debit card. Target's transactions are not submitted in real time to the card issuer. Target's transactions are batched and submitted to the card issuing banks in a manner which reduces processing costs. Funds won't be "debited" against your deposit account until a couple of days after your purchase. In rare cases, it might post one day after your purchase. This can cause heartburn for debit RC users who aren't religiously balancing their check register after each and every purchase. Every week I hear from a handful of former debit RC users who say they stopped using the debit RC because of this.

My own experience with my debit RC has not caused grief but for in-store purchases I'd rather use my Target Credit Union debit card OR old-fashioned US currency and coins.

Online applications are helpful although the individual TM gets no recognition for same.

The debit RC is a decent option, except for one aspect: transactions clear more slowly than when using bank-issued debit card. Target's transactions are not submitted in real time to the card issuer. Target's transactions are batched and submitted to the card issuing banks in a manner which reduces processing costs. Funds won't be "debited" against your deposit account until a couple of days after your purchase. In rare cases, it might post one day after your purchase. This can cause heartburn for debit RC users who aren't religiously balancing their check register after each and every purchase. Every week I hear from a handful of former debit RC users who say they stopped using the debit RC because of this.

My own experience with my debit RC has not caused grief but for in-store purchases I'd rather use my Target Credit Union debit card OR old-fashioned US currency and coins.
I have found that if purchases are made before 4 pm EST, they appear the next business day. Purchases made after 4 pm are not processed until the day after tomorrow. I've bought things with my RC on a Thursday evening and it didn't come out of my bank account until Monday.

Last edited:
We actually have guests interested in a debit card but to apply for a debit card requires a blank check. How many people still use checks? I had to teach a 23 year Mobile team member how to process a check yesterday. Checks are going the way of the dinosaurs.
Yeah it’s stupid. If they don’t have one let them know they can apply online at home with acct and routing number

I have found that if purchases are made before 4 pm EST, they appear the next business day. Purchases made after 4 pm are not processed until the day after tomorrow. I've bought things with my RC on a Thursday evening and it didn't come out of my bank account until Monday.
It depends on which bank or CU you are using. The people who complain the most use about lengthy delays use Bank of America accounts. In this area, BofA , seems to have the largest market share for debit cards, followed closely by Boeing Employees Credit Union or BECU.

Then again, Target might have recently changed Debit Redcard processing times after this legal settlement, so those people who are complaining to me may not have used their Debit RC in a long time:

Hey guys! This post is contradictory to those who feel Spot Master wants more RedCard’s everyday. I look at the RedCard as a way to save money. The guest chooses If they want it, all we need to do is ask. Yes, adding more credit to one‘s Finances is probably not ideal; however, it’s their choice. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying twist their arm about applying for a RC, especially credit but I am saying simply ask. Maybe we wouldn’t acquire a credit during these times, but my guest’s don’t have my credit history. Debit cards have benefits—same as the credit card—using a debit RedCard I am only paying around 2% tax since groceries and clothes in my state are not taxed. To me it’s worth it. I don’t like the fact it takes a few days for the transaction to clear but that is why one must reconcile the checkbook. Thanks for listening.

My card, it was purchases Thursday-Monday would come out Wednesday, Tuesday would come out Thursday, and Wednesday had 50/50 odds for Thursday or Monday.

Hey guys! This post is contradictory to those who feel Spot Master wants more RedCard’s everyday. I look at the RedCard as a way to save money. The guest chooses If they want it, all we need to do is ask. Yes, adding more credit to one‘s Finances is probably not ideal; however, it’s their choice. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying twist their arm about applying for a RC, especially credit but I am saying simply ask. Maybe we wouldn’t acquire a credit during these times, but my guest’s don’t have my credit history. Debit cards have benefits—same as the credit card—using a debit RedCard I am only paying around 2% tax since groceries and clothes in my state are not taxed. To me it’s worth it. I don’t like the fact it takes a few days for the transaction to clear but that is why one must reconcile the checkbook. Thanks for listening.
I agree. I love my RC. For a regular shopper who has a checking account or can responsibly manage a credit card, it’s a no brainer.

I agree. I love my RC. For a regular shopper who has a checking account or can responsibly manage a credit card, it’s a no brainer.
I love my Red Debit card & use it all the time; the credit card is the safe at home because the interest on store cards is so high. The issue for my store is that young people don't carry checks. Spot needs to figure out a way for guests to apply for a debit card without a check.

The Debit RC is a great option for many of our guests. Some guests won't want a Debit RC or a Credit RC because they are married to their travel-rewards credit cards. Post-COVID-19, the obsession of some folks with frequent airline travel might fade away for a few years. I'd actually like to see Target develop a RC marketing campaign specifically directed towards those airline-rewards-cards guests: apply online, provide their travel-rewards card information (Delta, United, Alaska etc) including the annual fees for their cards, and upon approval of credit offer not only to give a $50 credit towards merchandise at Target, but provide the guest with a system to earn (in addition to 5% off) frequent-flyer miles for their Target purchases credited to their carrier's plan. A key for this to succeed, of course, would be offering those who already have the Delta/United/Alaska cardholders the actual RC Mastercard, not just the store-only RC. There are ways to structure this so that you ultimately wean the guest away from those airline rewards cards to using the RedCard Mastercard while still earning airline miles (for an annual extra charge much cheaper than their current Delta-United-Alaska cards). My two cents' worth.

The problem with the debit red card is that few schools teach check writing and checkbook balancing, and the ones that do probably half the students sleep through that section thanks to online banking.

I can see two solutions, and one is a financial nightmare. The financial nightmare would be to expand who can bank at the Target credit union and tie the debit red card to a checking account. The other solution would be to have funds put on the card in advance, like a gift card. Maybe like the Starbucks card where the gift card is tied into a rewards account.

I know most of this has been about the RedCards but as someone who works at self-checkout, I'm concerned about my ETL/GSTL/AP pushing me to get guests to sign-up for Circle. I don't mind briefly mentioning it when directing guests to a register but with the virus still around, I don't feel like it's appropriate to go up to guests and ask them to put their phone number in or even touch the button on the screen for them at the register, like the ETL-SE did regularly until the pandemic started.

I hate that this was a major reason for my poor review score (Don't get enough RCs, ION for you), and it's totally my ETL (who I really dislike) instructing her TLs to push the team because SD wants to be top in the district, but yes, RCs specifically are being pushed hot and heavy. At the same time, I've also been told we shouldn't be asking right now.🙄🙄🙄.

But I also value my job, so ask I will continue to do, even if I get yelled at by guests for asking.

Well tell yourvSETL she can write some code for POS to make a way to do it without a check 🙄 otherwise she’s outta luck. online apps are credited to the closest store to the guest
Exactly. That's my biggest issue (Other than working SCO) with not getting signups is that people don't carry checks. If there was a way to do it without needing a check, I'd be cool as a cucumber right now.

Last edited:
if they specifically said that you did not hit some redcard quota or whatever and that’s why you got ION, that’s a hotline call

you cannot quota team members or hold them accountable for applications. only asking consistently

Our SE ETL doesn't want online applications; she wants in-store. It is ridiculous.
The reason is that your ETL and your store may not get credited (in terms of meeting quota) for many of those online applications. Depending on your district, the online applications might be allocated to your store IF the applicant lives in the geographic boundaries of your store's primary service area. This might not be the policy in other districts. Since your ETL and SD are under intense pressure to meet the RC application quota for the month, they are leaning on the Advocates to obtain applications in-store where they definitely will "belong" to your store in terms of meeting quota. I don't like it but Target is desperate to keep pushing Redcards, loike it or not.

Back