Back Up Team Lead

Hi there, OB B2 back up lead warehouse and also trainer. Been with target a year and a half. Any other DCs roll out “back ups”? If so, how is your DC handling it?

Here’s a lil’ timeline—
When I was hired we had two certified trainers who were the two of the best we had. LWW rolls out, both get promoted. One in the wing, one in depal. Few months down the line, LWW who was primarily in the wing gets promoted to OM. Leaving one LWW. This LWW enjoyed VLE every now and again but would get skipped over all the time for business reasons. In December-ish they do a new wave of hiring LWW and new “back up LWW.” Myself, and two other TMs get hired, one for full time LWW and myself and the other guy are back ups. No big deal because as back ups we were expected to be pulled out of our department and into another to fill out the process boards and I was still able to keep my trainer status (because I did not want full time LWW, don’t wanna get stuck on B2). Fast forward a few months, the OG LWW gets VLE alllll the time. All the time. I can count on one hand in the last two months the amount of times I wasn’t LWW. All fine though, I know it’s a part of the job I am now required to do.
Biggest downfall is back ups did not get the LWW raise. This is my biggest issue with it. Had I not been backfilling for my LWW I would have been put in another department to do the same job.

I just wanna hear thoughts. My brain is officially fried. Constantly trying to wonder how TMs can get away with running 70-80% in lanes with more than one yellow light. How sorters can be okay with running 14% in the first 3 hours. How when I send a TM to quad 3 to knock out a light and I find 5 TMs hanging out in one lane. With lights on around them.

I can’t wait for my vacation this weekend.

RWTM™ B2-OB continued service: 2 years 7 months. Wadddup fam, curiosity killed the cat. Does a Back up Lead Warehouse Worker make the same as a Lead Warehouse Worker (hrly)? Plz lmk

Q2 should be your hardest hitting quad. 86 or 23** is our top hitting door. Q2 also has a couple more less dense 4-5 stars. Get a new TM in Q3 lanes… that’s where da the party is always duh.

I had to back fill with vacation today as I will be 15 mins late so call it a mini.

My bad been in Depal the last 3 days line loading the sh&t outta those manuel’s. Easy money. If need be pull up and I will answer any questions you may have.

2nd day down there i loaded a carton recieved wrong and it wouldn’t ride so I just loaded to a trailer off my RC screen. Bet
(A keys I’m QC 😉)
beer catches GIF
Yooo B1 WH have those CON CA cages ready labeled most conveyable side up. B1 IB plz keep RW to a min. Check your printers. OB always has those bands. We gonna have central running 24/7 lined with cages. Hit plan by P2 and be chillin P3. Thanks B2. Thinking about coming to B1 actually. Hopefully HR figures out about my LWW internals soon.
Hi friend. Unfortunately I do not make the same hourly as LWW. My base pay is that of an average ww. 😐 Which blows because when I took the position I didn't know I'd be backfilling for my LWW every day.

We are currently in VLE season and vets have time they want to use so all of our good ones leave every day. Typical. 🙃 I can't sign up for OT even if I wanted. Our SD is trying to completely eliminate it.

And surprisingly-- we typically stick our NH in Q1, and out drops have been weird lately. One day 20-26 will run 140% others 80%. We have consistently had an issue with 56 not being planned correctly (okay what trailer only receives 6 cartons, OMs? If I have to re-build the set weeks in a row there is some kind of disconnect). We've been having issues with TMs running 70-80-90% with multiple lights and I cannot justify taking a lane from them or keep pulling sorters to knock out lights.

On top of that we have a newly trained closer. He closed 34 just fine. An hour later, goes to close 38. Mis types and closes 34 again and dispatch over the radio-- "Why was a move posted for 34 with only 7 cartons?" So I backtrack and fix his mistake, let him know what happened. All fine and dandy. But 93 is blowing up the reject line and the TM is running a 140% already, same guy closed 93 an hour and a half ago. Never called to switch the chute, almost shuts down the mezz. I didn't think much of it because thats a triple door. Yeah, no. He never F1'd it. I fixed his mistake again. I told him to SLOW DOWN. Pay attention to what you are doing bud.

1:54 AM rolls around. Dispatch again. "We have a move posted for 24 but there's a red light." Not again. Noooooo not again. The kid was closing 25 at the time and the other closer hadn't touched 24, it was only 50% and not on the cut sheet. Told him to go re close 25 and came back saying it wouldn't let him do it. Sorry B1. I wasn't going to fix that. Not while I'm not on the clock.

B1 is the goal but I need my base rate higher before I can do so-- that shift differential has me by the wallet.

Hi friend. Unfortunately I do not make the same hourly as LWW. My base pay is that of an average ww. 😐 Which blows because when I took the position I didn't know I'd be backfilling for my LWW every day.

We are currently in VLE season and vets have time they want to use so all of our good ones leave every day. Typical. 🙃 I can't sign up for OT even if I wanted. Our SD is trying to completely eliminate it.

And surprisingly-- we typically stick our NH in Q1, and out drops have been weird lately. One day 20-26 will run 140% others 80%. We have consistently had an issue with 56 not being planned correctly (okay what trailer only receives 6 cartons, OMs? If I have to re-build the set weeks in a row there is some kind of disconnect). We've been having issues with TMs running 70-80-90% with multiple lights and I cannot justify taking a lane from them or keep pulling sorters to knock out lights.

On top of that we have a newly trained closer. He closed 34 just fine. An hour later, goes to close 38. Mis types and closes 34 again and dispatch over the radio-- "Why was a move posted for 34 with only 7 cartons?" So I backtrack and fix his mistake, let him know what happened. All fine and dandy. But 93 is blowing up the reject line and the TM is running a 140% already, same guy closed 93 an hour and a half ago. Never called to switch the chute, almost shuts down the mezz. I didn't think much of it because thats a triple door. Yeah, no. He never F1'd it. I fixed his mistake again. I told him to SLOW DOWN. Pay attention to what you are doing bud.

1:54 AM rolls around. Dispatch again. "We have a move posted for 24 but there's a red light." Not again. Noooooo not again. The kid was closing 25 at the time and the other closer hadn't touched 24, it was only 50% and not on the cut sheet. Told him to go re close 25 and came back saying it wouldn't let him do it. Sorry B1. I wasn't going to fix that. Not while I'm not on the clock.

B1 is the goal but I need my base rate higher before I can do so-- that shift differential has me by the wallet.
We have backups for several positions like ICQA but not LWWs. If this has been going on for a time as you described I would raise a fuss. I know there is a threshold per Target where if after a certain amount of time you have spent a certain percentate of your hours working a different role that gets higher pay you are susposed to be entitled to that higher pay too.
On the other hand being that you are so often in the role gives you a grwat chance at getting it next time an opening pops up so dont come across too negatively lol. I would definitely make the point that you have been doing the role more than the other guy if that is truly the case.

Yikes. I’d never leave B2 ❤️

Last edited:
We have backups for several positions like ICQA but not LWWs. If this has been going on for a time as you described I would raise a fuss. I know there is a threshold per Target where if after a certain amount of time you have spent a certain percentate of your hours working a different role that gets higher pay you are susposed to be entitled to that higher pay too.
On the other hand being that you are so often in the role gives you a grwat chance at getting it next time an opening pops up so dont come across too negatively lol. I would definitely make the point that you have been doing the role more than the other guy if that is truly the case.
We just rolled out back up ICQA. Looks like I’m gonna make a trip to HR Tuesday to pick their brains. My OMs can vouch that I’m in the role more than not.
My OMs gave me permission to come in a half hour early per shift so an extra 2 hours per week which I felt was decent compensation for not getting the pay bump but they just squashed all overtime. Just sucks.

If you are scheduled to cover as LWW for vacation or loa, as long as it is the full work cycle, then you should be receiving pay adjustment to that pay scale. But single day covera, or backfilling vle, no adjustment. And i agree, it blows that your dc found a work around to not paying you the adjustment, but expecting you to do the work.

Back ups don't make as much as full time, whether it be for a merit or LWW, but you as a back up shouldn't be doing as much as a full time. If you are than that is something you need to speak on to your OM, SOM, or HR.
RWTM™ B2-OB continued service: 2 years 7 months. Wadddup fam, curiosity killed the cat. Does a Back up Lead Warehouse Worker make the same as a Lead Warehouse Worker (hrly)? Plz lmk

Q2 should be your hardest hitting quad. 86 or 23** is our top hitting door. Q2 also has a couple more less dense 4-5 stars. Get a new TM in Q3 lanes… that’s where da the party is always duh.

I had to back fill with vacation today as I will be 15 mins late so call it a mini.

My bad been in Depal the last 3 days line loading the sh&t outta those manuel’s. Easy money. If need be pull up and I will answer any questions you may have.

2nd day down there i loaded a carton recieved wrong and it wouldn’t ride so I just loaded to a trailer off my RC screen. Bet
(A keys I’m QC 😉)
beer catches GIF
Yooo B1 WH have those CON CA cages ready labeled most conveyable side up. B1 IB plz keep RW to a min. Check your printers. OB always has those bands. We gonna have central running 24/7 lined with cages. Hit plan by P2 and be chillin P3. Thanks B2. Thinking about coming to B1 actually. Hopefully HR figures out about my LWW internals soon.
Q1 is my DCs busiest quad. It's all based our the wing is mapped out and what quads have the most volumes and even then when doing planning you get a guesstimate as to what each door may get based off what is in the BLs but that doesn't mean they will get it due to a few things. Some doors will run heavy when they should be running and vice versa

For the team members in lanes not being up to par at 70% what do you do? Asking to see your process of root cause.

For the team members in lanes not being up to par at 70% what do you do? Asking to see your process of root cause.
First I will do a SWA, and make observations. Second I’ll ask the TM how they’re feeling, physically and how their lane set feels. Third i will follow up with a CSB audit, of course asking them first if they can tell me the critical safe behaviors. If not I walk through the cbs, explain the importance of them in regards to standard work. Of course using lamens terms because target lingo is weird. Then I’ll work with the TM to find the disconnect in the process, provide feedback, and then I’ll assign a mentor to pair with that TM until the end of the period. And then circle back around.
If the issue arises again I escalate it to the OMs and they take it from there.

OB had to host our last safety circle because we have had several injuries. A TM slipped on a soap spill that sat there for 5 hours, per the divert time from the carton that broke. So between myself and another trainer we are auditing trailers once per period for wall stability/cleanliness(spills/damaged cartons)/team life outside of trailers. So with the focus on cleaning (and we are tail loading pipo) TMs should be able to have spotless lanes with no lights at 70%. Ideally 😭

Q1 is my DCs busiest quad. It's all based our the wing is mapped out and what quads have the most volumes and even then when doing planning you get a guesstimate as to what each door may get based off what is in the BLs but that doesn't mean they will get it due to a few things. Some doors will run heavy when they should be running and vice versa
Heavy on the doors running heavy when not supposed to. 56 volume tonight is 6 cartons. Annnnnd I’ve been knocking out the light most of the evening. The TM in that lane set tonight (56-66) running a 140% l o l

If you are scheduled to cover as LWW for vacation or loa, as long as it is the full work cycle, then you should be receiving pay adjustment to that pay scale. But single day covera, or backfilling vle, no adjustment. And i agree, it blows that your dc found a work around to not paying you the adjustment, but expecting you to do the work.
He mostly VLEs, but was just out for bereavement. It just becomes a little irritating when they’re VLEing him every day. It’s about once a week I’m not backfilling him.

First I will do a SWA, and make observations. Second I’ll ask the TM how they’re feeling, physically and how their lane set feels. Third i will follow up with a CSB audit, of course asking them first if they can tell me the critical safe behaviors. If not I walk through the cbs, explain the importance of them in regards to standard work. Of course using lamens terms because target lingo is weird. Then I’ll work with the TM to find the disconnect in the process, provide feedback, and then I’ll assign a mentor to pair with that TM until the end of the period. And then circle back around.
If the issue arises again I escalate it to the OMs and they take it from there.

OB had to host our last safety circle because we have had several injuries. A TM slipped on a soap spill that sat there for 5 hours, per the divert time from the carton that broke. So between myself and another trainer we are auditing trailers once per period for wall stability/cleanliness(spills/damaged cartons)/team life outside of trailers. So with the focus on cleaning (and we are tail loading pipo) TMs should be able to have spotless lanes with no lights at 70%. Ideally 😭
Pretty good root causing and maybe you do or not but I would take in consideration time the TM has been with Target. If they are under ramp up than you will have to adjust the lane sets to said TMs ramp up week.

Yea 5 hours for a soap spill is a good amount of time. There is no need for it to sit that long but I usually have a closer take care of it as soon as shift starts. Good job on the root causing tho. If you're not a team lead now you're on the right path.

Heavy on the doors running heavy when not supposed to. 56 volume tonight is 6 cartons. Annnnnd I’ve been knocking out the light most of the evening. The TM in that lane set tonight (56-66) running a 140% l o l
So the one thing about lane building is that even tho it says that lane set is only going to get X amount of cartons they may get more based on when it is picked and thrown. The tool used doesn't factor that in so if warehouse is picking more than you're catching to keep a backlog chances are that lane set is getting all of it's freight way sooner than wanted. It's something I've been botching about since I started doing pre-shift and building the lane sets

Pretty good root causing and maybe you do or not but I would take in consideration time the TM has been with Target. If they are under ramp up than you will have to adjust the lane sets to said TMs ramp up week.

Yea 5 hours for a soap spill is a good amount of time. There is no need for it to sit that long but I usually have a closer take care of it as soon as shift starts. Good job on the root causing tho. If you're not a team lead now you're on the right path.
We only have 3 TMs currently under their 90 but they’re all ramped up to 100%, and thank you for the compliment! I give creds to my TOM.

We only have 3 TMs currently under their 90 but they’re all ramped up to 100%, and thank you for the compliment! I give creds to my TOM.
So something that is DC specific but in all DCs is lanes CPH. If they are ramped up to 100% is that 100% to budget? Or to 8 week trend? If you look up their rates in DPM that's per budget which may be higher than what the 8 week trend is which is what is causing them to have yellows. Also, lane management, possibly THE biggest factor in it but keep up the good work and you will grow pretty quick. I give creds to you in utilizing your TOM. The best way to get better and grow is to use your resources. I think you should look into a training specialist role or team lead.

Was it a remap? There’s a lot of construction being done on dock doors and a lot of remaps due to it in my shipping wing. A new TM can change a remapped door to another store. Our FC doors are all messed up again.

Was it a remap? There’s a lot of construction being done on dock doors and a lot of remaps due to it in my shipping wing. A new TM can change a remapped door to another store. Our FC doors are all messed up again.
If any one is capable of changing what store goes to each door that's all kinds of bad. There's only one way you can load the wrong store into the wrong door and not many people know and with all the new OMs we've been getting they don't even know

If any one is capable of changing what store goes to each door that's all kinds of bad. There's only one way you can load the wrong store into the wrong door and not many people know and with all the new OMs we've been getting they don't even know
(BCI) Jumpcode scan door find out what container was last built CTRL+E I think to delete that container and it changes back to the last store that was last built. That’s off the top so don’t quote me.

(BCI) Jumpcode scan door find out what container was last built CTRL+E I think to delete that container and it changes back to the last store that was last built. That’s off the top so don’t quote me.
Definitely looking into that when I go to work. BCI as far as I know it's CBI jump code which stands for Build Container Individual which is used to sort. If that has more functions to it it definitely needs to be re-evaluated.

Definitely looking into that when I go to work. BCI as far as I know it's CBI jump code which stands for Build Container Individual which is used to sort. If that has more functions to it it definitely needs to be re-evaluated.
Say less bro, I got u. I have like 4 customized badge buddies but I don’t wanna confuse you. Your OB RWTM do they use DPM?

Last edited:
Back