Archived Backlash from stepping down?

Status
Not open for further replies.
With what seems to be an arbitrary policy now in place where you have to remain 18 months in position before being promoted, I'm looking for outside Target opportunities but don't want to leave all together. I'm currently a GSTL and considering stepping down to be a TM so I can focus on other opportunities. Will they let a TL step down or would I have to quit? I'm sure I'd have to take a pay cut but I'm hoping not too much! Suggestions?

at my store it is 50/50 if you are on corrective action you are not allowed to step down. We had our br tl step down and he suffered hour cuts but so does the rest of the store. our flow tl wants to step down but they have been giving her a hard time because NOBODY wants the flow tl position

I wasn't even on corrective and they wouldn't let me step down. My GSTL was a major ***** though.

I dunno why they'd do that. Ive been considering stepping down also. Id lose a few dollars an hour but I can manage and I wouldnt have to deal with all the bullcrap.

Basically if they like you, they'll almost bend over backwards for you.

If they don't like you, they'll make stepping down a living hell for you and most likely try performance you out or make you quit.

There really is no set in stone plan for this. If you are liked they are more likely to let you step down. If you are not liked they would love to get rid of you.. Also the amount the take from you could also be less than what they pay a current team member for the same job. Sure you might have been good enough to get to become a team lead and maybe even got a few extra dollars an hour of of them but when it comes to demotion you may only like 1-3 an hour when you were making 5-8 more than a team member. Why would they want to pay a team member 13-14 an hour when they hire at that position for 8.50 an hour?

Similarly, I wanted to transfer but was denied because I haven't been in position for 18 months. At least that's what I was told by HR, STL and ETL. However, ETL from another store told me it's because they didn't want me to leave. So I asked to step down from TL so I could transfer and was again denied. So I'm stuck here. Not that I don't love my store and my job, but I wanted a change of pace. The only way out is to quit, lose my benefits and pay, and start over at another store, I guess.

In my extperience with this ( not at Spot at all, a former employer ), it was rather problematic, but...well, I'll just leave that there so as to not raise any eyebrows, and also since it was a non-Spot job it doesn't necessarily apply here.

What can/often will apply are: Your performance at your current post, as wellas the post you'd like to return to, how well you are liked for whatever reasons, and what your reasons are for desiring to step down ( and can sometimes boil down to you...eeehhh....sugarcoating? Euphemisizing? Your reasons versus what your REAL reasons might be, how comfortable you feel voicing your wants to leadership, and figuring out if they might come back to bite you in any way. ).

Side note: My own "self-demotion" was not a totally smooth ride, but proved to be the best possible decision for me at the time in nearly every way.

I can tell you many people in here complain they are NOT allowed to demote, whether it be TL to TM or ETL to TL or STL to ETL, it's just NOT allowed (again, it's not officially DIS allowed, but I've rarely if ever heard of someone smoothly being able to do it) Best of luck to you, perhaps if you are willing to wait until they are able to replace you before stepping down? Or perhaps asking for a transfer to another store in your area? Otherwise, ETL HR, STL, Employee Relations, Let Us Know Program, ERDR, HRBP, DTL, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back