Archived Backroom-How to/should you backstock street date MMB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gravalpea

Battery/giftcard loather
Greetings again all! After working on flow team stocking electronics and mmb for 9+ months, I was "trained" to backstock during black friday weekend to help out the backroom. It was going well until I got to street dated MMB. I had no clue how to handle it. I thought to myself, if I backstock it, most of it will just wind up on a pull within the next few days and would take up a lot of valuable space in the wacos. So, should I just leave street dated MMB in a tub labeled as such? What do you do? Thanks for the input!

The thing that worked best for my store was to leave a tub in electronics lockup that had only street dates merchandise on it. Tuesday morning the entertainment tm pushes it out and leaves further out dates on the tub.

Some stores have some case stock sections in lockup that the put the new releases in unlocated. Some stores backstock it all. I would ask your ETL log, or Backroom TL to see how they want it handled. If they leave it up to you, I would go with the tub idea. Just make sure that tms do not start piling stuff on there that isn't new releases (backstock, pulls, price change, trash, etc.).

Greetings and salutations.
Welcome to The Break Room.

The dvd section of my stores backroom doesn't have much in it right now (recent entertainment scan). I usually backstock in the middle two or three rows, which leaves the bottom and top rows mostly empty. I backstock street dated stuff in empty wacos or behind current dvds. I try to keep them together as best I can. If they are in an assortment with a pick label they stay in the box and are backstocked as case stock in MM2.

The tub idea is interesting, but would never work in my store...people would be piling tons of stuff on it all of the time. Also, I don't know if I really like the idea of having a tub of unlocated dvds just sitting back there.

The section cleared out for it works best, also its actually best practice to do that now. Theres a thing on workbench talking about making room and stuff and shows a section should be cleared out for new release items, must be new because I just seen this last week for the first time.
No matter how you do it though someone in your store be it PTL, or HTL for E/E will want it done another way.

There should definitely be a section cleared out that you will put the street dated merchandise in and do not locate it. Just put up WACOs with no backroom labels on them and use the shelving for boxed merchandise.

There should definitely be a section cleared out that you will put the street dated merchandise in and do not locate it. Just put up WACOs with no backroom labels on them and use the shelving for boxed merchandise.

I get it; like this solution; and would like to subscribe to your newsletter :3

The street dates should be located especially for TNT.

No, this is absolutely false. It is best practice to not locate street dated items. The reason being that it is possible if it's located for a team member who doesn't know what they are doing to pull it and attempt to put it on the floor . There is supposed to be a designated "street date" section in your electronics stockroom where all not yet released movies/cds/games etc. should be. It is supposed to be clearly demarcated and NOT located.

Ours are located and never come out in CAFs until after the street date.

Of course it won't come out in the CAFs because it's not tied on the floor.

The problem would be with an unaware team member pulling it upon guest request. Do you have any idea how many people come in each week looking to purchase a movie that hasn't hit it's street date yet?

Our own POG team can't read street dates and they set them.(depends who is doing the setting) Our overnight team refuses to be held responsible for anything so you bet we hide/unlocate street date and when in-stocks scans you bet we double check if that new DVD is street dated. I can't tell you how many arguments with guests because someone stocked it cause "we just push no back stock is allowed" and we didn't catch it I time. Our electronics Capt, when she could catch it would even hide the labels if they were up for a couple days before the release date.

The "no back stock" was one ETL who made her ream look like hero's but destroyed the daytime teams. She is gone now, but we are still cleaning up her mess. Cause the habit is so deep with the overnight crew.

The problem is not CAFS it's revisions set on Monday. New release music has home locations in the browser revisions, which might be tied and pulled on Monday. DVDs don't seem to be a problem as new releases only set on the new release endcaps, which can be tied and pushed Tuesday morning.

New release books sometimes have multiple locations, or are not obviously new releases (Bookclub sometimes has hard locked new releases that aren't obvious.)

You can't tell if a DPCI is hardlocked by scanning in item search, but if you scan it at a guest scanner it will show "Item not found". Saved my butt a few times.

At my store, the street date boxes are unlocated in a specific place in the electronics lockup in the backroom. A day before the street-dates go out to the floor, we have a plano team member dedicated on getting it placed on a tub and worked the morning of. The boxes, movies, CD's, and video games are not located specifically because of the whole guest thing--there's a rotation of backroom people working different shifts, people forget Tuesday is the day new releases come out, etc.

At my store, the street date boxes are unlocated in a specific place in the electronics lockup in the backroom. A day before the street-dates go out to the floor, we have a plano team member dedicated on getting it placed on a tub and worked the morning of. The boxes, movies, CD's, and video games are not located specifically because of the whole guest thing--there's a rotation of backroom people working different shifts, people forget Tuesday is the day new releases come out, etc.
Same for my store, there is a section for street date product and it is not located in the stockroom.

At our store, we have always had an extra electronics cage. We store the street-dated merchandise in there and have placed a different core on the lock, with the keyholders knowing not to sign out the key for that core until the day of the release. On top of that, we have it in the electronics backroom, and although it's redundant to have a locked cage in a locked room, it prevents street-dated product from being pushed to the floor on an SFN (or CAF in 'Murica) if the POG gets implemented (tied) and the product is backstocked.

We backstock everything and pull when we tie POGs.

The problem would be with an unaware team member pulling it upon guest request. Do you have any idea how many people come in each week looking to purchase a movie that hasn't hit it's street date yet?

The register is locked and will not allow you to sell something before the release date.

The register is locked and will not allow you to sell something before the release date.

The aforementioned unaware team member will not realize that until the guest tries to purchase the item. The PDA knows nothing about street dates, so it won't stop the TM from pulling the item.

The aforementioned unaware team member will not realize that until the guest tries to purchase the item. The PDA knows nothing about street dates, so it won't stop the TM from pulling the item.
You're assuming that a team member knows the PDA well enough, and cares enough to help the guest, to use item search AND that the item has been in the system long enough to even show up on item search (if it even works at all). If all of this comes to pass, the item is still hard-locked and cannot be sold. We backstock everything because our flow team would put ANYTHING that didn't have a current location into this "paradise of no-need-to-backstock". This would include transition product, ALL of the books that have a transition date on the box (because maybe ONE book in there is street dated) and just random stuff that your store wasn't meant to carry (we get a lot of this). Yes, it sucks to have to pull all of these batches Monday afternoon, but it ensures that you are only working out what you need to.

You're assuming that a team member knows the PDA well enough, and cares enough to help the guest, to use item search AND that the item has been in the system long enough to even show up on item search (if it even works at all). If all of this comes to pass, the item is still hard-locked and cannot be sold. We backstock everything because our flow team would put ANYTHING that didn't have a current location into this "paradise of no-need-to-backstock". This would include transition product, ALL of the books that have a transition date on the box (because maybe ONE book in there is street dated) and just random stuff that your store wasn't meant to carry (we get a lot of this). Yes, it sucks to have to pull all of these batches Monday afternoon, but it ensures that you are only working out what you need to.

Yeah, I'm used to my store's flow team being overnight and not being around to "deal with" guests. :D I was referring to the sales floor team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back