Archived Backroom Team Lead Opportunity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Backroom team lead just opened up at my store. What are the duties of the backroom team lead?

You probably looking at managing instocks also. When I was overnight just being backroom TL was almost like being a higher paid backroom TM. You did basically the same stuff as everyone else.

Being dayside backroom is a little different. You'll have to handle most of the phone interviews for new applicants. Deal with compliance issues like Steritech visits. Then with instocks you'll be managing that team, which to me is the hardest part about it learning the whole instocks process.

Your schedule will depend. Our BR/Instocks TL works mostly 6am-2:30pm so there is times you may never see your BR tms that work in the evenings. So keeping them in check if they aren't self motivated could be a problem.

If you have a broken logistics process, flow TL or ETL-Log that doesn't know what they are doing, or support you, it will be very difficult. This is one of the main reasons I turned down a BR TL position. The leadership at my store sucked.

If you get lucky with a green process it could be worth it though.

I am currently the brand team member for cosmetics. I do my own backstocking and pulls. I have received E on my last two reviews. I work hard and take ownership of the whole store.

Don't put much weight in your review score. Not saying you deserved less, because you probably deserved better honestly. Review scores are more politics than anything. Only a certain amount of each grade to go around so a lot of people get downgraded.

If you haven't had a serious talk with you ETL-Log and STL about leadership roles I would ASAP. As a internal applicant just a good interview alone isn't going to get you the job. A lot of people think (and probably are) they are good hardworking TMs, but hardwork isn't everything when it comes to these roles. Managing not only your work but others is a big part.

Last edited:
I'm not concerned with getting the job... I am interested in the duties of the backroom team lead!

There are several changes happening to the back room, right now. You might want to talk to your etl-log for more info on the job. being brand member, you should have some knowledge of back room processes.

Could be in charge of making sure everything is back stocked and sto. Including all the coolers and freezer that last one is a tough one

Your schedule will depend. Our BR/Instocks TL works mostly 6am-2:30pm so there is times you may never see your BR tms that work in the evenings. So keeping them in check if they aren't self motivated could be a problem.
:) I love that I rarely see my immediate supervisor or his boss! Just log clueless LODs!

First and foremost, you'll be responsible for autofills being completed efficiently and truck backstock being done on time. Since you probably won't be around for a majority of the CAFs and probably won't see your evening team like ever, you'll need to be able to interpret pull times and individual accuracies to see who isn't pulling their weight.

Like others have said, you'll very likely be over another team. Since our BRTL is a senior, he often oversees trucks when the flow TL or ETL-Log can't make it. But 9 times out of 10, that team will be instocks.

Lets say 80% of the position is responsible for keeping the EAM BR team focused and the other 20% is indirectly holding the other half of your team accountable. If your store has a well working backroom, the transition between TLs should be pretty simple.

Should probably know the ins and outs of the entire backroom for a few years (or the BR team will likely hate you)

*Harsh truth
I'm friendly with all of the backroom team. I respect their knowledge and hard work. A few might be upset with someone from the sales floor being put in charge, but hopefully I'll win them over with my hard work and respect for theirs! My biggest concern is we have a couple of members whose English is not very good and I don't speak Spanish so communicating with them will be an "opportunity" for me.

IMO if your working as hard as they are while recognizing them for their hard work you will win over most if not all of the backroom. And when I was a backroom TL I would always make sure to give the backroom TM all of the credit while taking most of the blame. In my case once the team became aware of all that I was doing for them they would practically walk on hot coals for me.

I'm friendly with all of the backroom team. I respect their knowledge and hard work. A few might be upset with someone from the sales floor being put in charge, but hopefully I'll win them over with my hard work and respect for theirs! My biggest concern is we have a couple of members whose English is not very good and I don't speak Spanish so communicating with them will be an "opportunity" for me.

BR/Instock TL here. Biggest thing is your work ethic. We see anyone who's not a BRTM as lazy. If they don't think you can come back and work like they do (assuming you have a green process and they themselves are a good team) you will fail, sadly. It's all about beating your time goals (CAF's and STO'ing truck's.) You do that, and you would do great.

Your duties are making sure your IS OOS stays as low as possible. BR side is making sure your LOC ACCR is always green. If your BR LOC slips, your scans will suffer. If your IS scans are poor, it will hurt your BR.

Good luck if you decide to go for it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back