Peers pay

I’m a team lead who helped develop and train one of my team members over a couple years. Helped them move into a tl role. Recently found out they make more than I do. They accidentally told me. What should I do about it? Is it worth talking to hr? No bad feels towards that tm. It just makes me feel weird about the situation.

Happens all the time. You started TL at a grandfathered starting wage and the TM you trained gets the new higher starting wage. For example, when I was an O/N TL back in 2017 I started at $17.75, today that starting wage is $27.75 at my store. Sure they give us inflation raises here and there but sometimes it's hard to catch up. Maybe the department of the TL matters. I'm sure other factors come into play. Does the new TL have a degree? more experience in retail perhaps? Maybe they are on an ETL path or some sort? I'm not sure, but I know that does suck!

Last edited:
Happens all the time. You started TL at a grandfathered starting wage and the TM you trained gets the new higher starting wage. For example, when I was an O/N TL back in 2017 I started at $17.75, today that starting wage is $27.75 at my store. Sure they give us inflation raises here and there but sometimes it's hard to catch up. Maybe the department of the TL matters. I'm sure other factors come into play. Does the new TL have a degree? more experience in retail perhaps? Maybe they are on an ETL path or some sort? I'm not sure, but I know that does suck!
You should have been bumped to the new starting pay as well . Your store sucks if you are a tl and you make less than a new hire tl .

I’m a team lead who helped develop and train one of my team members over a couple years. Helped them move into a tl role. Recently found out they make more than I do. They accidentally told me. What should I do about it? Is it worth talking to hr? No bad feels towards that tm. It just makes me feel weird about the situation.
You should go to hr but don’t mention the tl . You can pull a uno reverse on them and just say , Hey I saw on Target careers that new pay for tl is this much and I was wondering if there’s any criteria for me to get the same pay .
Or you can wait until your review comes and bring it up .
But yeah you should advocate for yourself because if they can hold you down and pay you less they will .

You should go to hr but don’t mention the tl . You can pull a uno reverse on them and just say , Hey I saw on Target careers that new pay for tl is this much and I was wondering if there’s any criteria for me to get the same pay .
Or you can wait until your review comes and bring it up .
But yeah you should advocate for yourself because if they can hold you down and pay you less they will .
"Hey I saw on Target careers that new pay for tl is this much and I was wondering if there’s any criteria for me to get the same pay."

Then pause and wait for an answer!

And if it's an oops and it should have been increased back when, don't be afraid to mention, "oh and how will the back pay reflect on my pay stub?" 😉😉
I worked for contractor that "forgot" to pay me my shift premium but charged the company for it anyway.

I started my work week at 10:00 PM on Sunday and said it was only double time for two hours because it was then Monday.

I mentioned it to my direct supervisor at that company.

After that my supervisor just stated I worked 8 hours on Sunday BUT not when it started or ended.

It’s required to be paid the pay grade minimum at the very least. The most a new hire could possibly make more than you is $2 an hour and that’s only if they receive the 4+ years of experience pay and you make the bare minimum.

Back