Archived Bag Rant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know I shouldn't even let this bother me, but I like to think I'm a nice cashier. Ever since I started, I gave and did the best service I could/can do for guests. I smile and great them all the time. Joke around here and there and EVEN convince a lot of them to take back unwanted stuff, just to make it a little easier for our hardliner/softliner friends. (unrelated)

But lately, my smile has been slowly cracking. All because some guests try to trick me into not paying 10 cents for a bag. Today, there were these two ladies with a whole lot of things. I smiled and greeted them, asked if they needed some bags. The lady I asked thought about it for a good minute or so, while she was loading the conveyer belt with their things. Then she said no, they don't need any. (For some reason, a lot of people take longer to think if they need a bag or not.)

So I began scanning and piling all their stuff on the little counterspace that I have on my register. Rang up their total, took their payment and finished their transaction. And THEN she pretends to look at all her things and went "Oh, I think we need bags." And in my head it went something like....

"Oh, I think we need bags."
"I think we need bags."
"We need bags."
"Need bags."
"Bags...."
"BAGS."
FUCKING BAGS.

I'm so sick and tired of people trying to avoid the 10 cents charge. Like wtf. You can buy over $50 worth of shit, and then you can't even spare 10 cents for a bag to put your dumb shit in it. But that's not all. Now I have to bag their shit too when I could've done so IN THE FIRST PLACE, and now they're just holding up the line TOO. I lost it. I lost it. LOL I just looked at her, then turned around to grab two bags, dumped it on their pile of shit, and let them bag it themselves. It's the worst thing I've done as a cashier. And I felt terrible afterwards because it isn't in my nature to do that. BUT IT'S HAPPENED SOME FEW TIMES ALREADY.

Omg I'm so sorry, I'm normally not like this. I guess, it's because I'm kinda sad to know my time is about over. I was hired as a seasonal cashier. Started since late Oct. I was told the day I got hired that I'll only be staying till Feb 2nd, or earlier. It sucks, I've grown to like mostly everyone. I've never missed a day of work, always come in 30 minutes early, extended when I can. Came in when I get called to. I don't wanna go.

Last edited:
I know I shouldn't even let this bother me, but I like to think I'm a nice cashier. Ever since I started, I gave and did the best service I could/can do for guests. I smile and great them all the time. Joke around here and there and EVEN convince a lot of them to take back unwanted stuff, just to make it a little easier for our hardliner/softliner friends. (unrelated)

But lately, my smile has been slowly cracking. All because some guests try to trick me into not paying 10 cents for a bag. Today, there were these two ladies with a whole lot of things. I smiled and greeted them, asked if they needed some bags. The lady I asked thought about it for a good minute or so, while she was loading the conveyer belt with their things. Then she said no, they don't need any. (For some reason, a lot of people take longer to think if they need a bag or not.)

So I began scanning and piling all their stuff on the little counterspace that I have on my register. Rang up their total, took their payment and finished their transaction. And THEN she pretends to look at all her things and went "Oh, I think we need bags." And in my head it went something like....

"I think we need bags."
"We need bags."
"Need bags."
"Bags...."
"BAGS."
FUCKING BAGS.

I'm so sick and tired of people trying to avoid the 10 cents charge. Like wtf. You can buy over $50 worth of shit, and then you can't even spare 10 cents for a bag to put your dumb shit in it. But that's not all. Now I have to bag their shit too when I could've done so IN THE FIRST PLACE, and now they're just holding up the line TOO. I lost it. I lost it. LOL I just looked at her, then turned around to grab two bags, dumped it on their pile of shit, and let them bag it themselves. It's the worst thing I've done as a cashier. And I felt terrible afterwards because it isn't in my nature to do that. BUT IT'S HAPPENED SOME FEW TIMES ALREADY.

Omg I'm so sorry, I'm normally not like this. I guess, it's because I'm kinda sad to know my time is about over. I was hired as a seasonal cashier. Started since late Oct. I was told the day I got hired that I'll only be staying till Feb 2nd, or earlier. It sucks, I've grown to like mostly everyone. I've never missed a day of work, always come in 30 minutes early, extended when I can. Came in when I get called to. I don't wanna go.
Have you expressed your desire to stay beyond the season?

Ugh. That sucks.

My favorite is when the guest dumps all their stuff on the conveyor belt all crazy, and I am picking through product to bag like items together. I am tempted to just bag as I scan, but I am too *neat* to bag chemicals with food with clothing with home goods.

My other favorite is when a guest has eleventy billion coupons, and the product doesn't always match the coupon.

Hang in there.

This kind of shit is why I'm glad I live in a place that doesn't mandate an extra charge for bags. We give you a $.05 discount per bag if you bring your own.

Bag charges don't really solve any problems, and reusable bags have their own set of issues, so it's just so much bullshit for not much real payoff from an environmental perspective.

I always start my conversation with, "Would you like to purchase a bag or do you have your own?"

If they decided after the transaction I would have voided an item and charged them anyways.

Don't enable the behavior by giving them a bag for free

Last edited:
This.

Every register has a bag barcode. And you better believe we use them-especially for those guests that think their transaction is finished.

I don't know how to key in bags properly. I don't want to simply type in any Reuseable bag's DPCI because this is a California tax so it needs to be keyed in properly as a bag tax so it gets paid to the state.

"I think we need bags."
"We need bags."
"Need bags."
"Bags...."
"BAGS."
FUCKING BAGS.

I hope you stay. However, thankfully we dont charge for bags here and some people still dont grasp that content.

There is only two ways out. Either they have them on them or you need to inform them they have to purchase them. (I doubt they plan on actually carrying out the items individually)

so the better question not 'do you need bags' but do you have your bags on you because if you dont there is a charge for bags' This way they understand that if they say no they HAVE TO carry out the items without them. Also boxes work too.

Last edited:
I don't know how to key in bags properly. I don't want to simply type in any Reuseable bag's DPCI because this is a California tax so it needs to be keyed in properly as a bag tax so it gets paid to the state.

If you are in California, you HAVE to key in one of three options at the end of the transaction. *
Guests bag
Purchase bag
No bags

Every register has a bar code. Please tell me you have not been ringing sales in CA since October and don't understand this?

* Not exactly sure of the terminalogy since I escaped two months ago. :)

@SoCalMama What I meant when I said they ask after their transaction is when I actually hand their receipt to them. I do key in any number of bags used if they ask. Because the screen prompts you to put in any bags or own bags used before they pay.

But guests like to wait till you hand them their receipt. And THEN ask for a bag.

@SoCalMama What I meant when I said they ask after their transaction is when I actually hand their receipt to them. I do key in any number of bags used if they ask. Because the screen prompts you to put in any bags or own bags used before they pay.

But guests like to wait till you hand them their receipt. And THEN ask for a bag.

Charge them using the suggestions above. Your gstl can give you the bag bar code. People learn when you shut down their foolishness

Last edited:
Charge them using the suggestions above. Your gstl can give you the bag bar code. People learn when you shut down their foolishness

Yes, exactly.

If you can't find a bar code, then charge them 99999 10 cents, no tax. Seriously, don't play with me. I am not falling for it.

They'll pay. Money will not go to the State. Besides, if somebody pays with EBT (and probably WIC) you MUST give them FREE bags for their food. So, since there is no tally for those bags, the 10 cents + dummy sku (99999) are fine in the big scheme of things. Maybe they created a system for keeping track of the EBT bags? I doubt it.

I was at front lanes, if someone wanted to purchase a bag after the transaction is finished, you ask them how many, then scan the bag barcode, if it's 3, 4 scan it as many times, if it is 1 just once, press total and when it ask how many bags put zero, press total. The final price should be .30 or .40 or .10 depending on how many were decided after a transaction. Same a guest walks up and wants to purchase a bag, scan, total, 0 for how many bags, final price .10, Do not let guest get to you. I think some enjoy that.

We have the ones who decline a bag then walk by an empty checklane on their way out & grab a bag.
Cheapskates.

I'm in CA and we have the .10 bag requirement. BTW - CA has seen a reduction in plastic in the oceans and landfills as a result of this legislation. Guess since it's been here for a year, folks are pretty good about asking for bags or having their own. I try wait to finalize the transaction until the items are in a Target bag, their bag or their cart so I don't have to deal with bag charges after everything is done. After all, I'm a SL employee coming up to help in busy times, let's just get the guests through the check out.

I did have a person in an electric cart decline a bag. When it came time to pack up, she realized she needed a bag and asked how much. It was pretty clear she didn't have much to spend as she was digging around in her purse to find pennies for the bag. She only had 7 cents and was grateful when I told her not to worry about the bag. It's all about guest services, right? And, then the next guest in line who watched this said he would pay for her bag after she left. There are some nice folks out there, (and, I didn't charge him for the bag but did thank him for this thoughtfulness).

If th
F*** California Bag tax that doesnt help the environment but is actually a tax.

I'm in CA and we have the .10 bag requirement. BTW - CA has seen a reduction in plastic in the oceans and landfills as a result of this legislation. Guess since it's been here for a year, folks are pretty good about asking for bags or having their own. I try wait to finalize the transaction until the items are in a Target bag, their bag or their cart so I don't have to deal with bag charges after everything is done. After all, I'm a SL employee coming up to help in busy times, let's just get the guests through the check out.

I did have a person in an electric cart decline a bag. When it came time to pack up, she realized she needed a bag and asked how much. It was pretty clear she didn't have much to spend as she was digging around in her purse to find pennies for the bag. She only had 7 cents and was grateful when I told her not to worry about the bag. It's all about guest services, right? And, then the next guest in line who watched this said he would pay for her bag after she left. There are some nice folks out there, (and, I didn't charge him for the bag but did thank him for this thoughtfulness).
How, as tracking for plastic refuse in the oceans is tracked by UNOPS ( UNOPS - https://www.unops.org/ ) not California.

I know I am sounding double minded in these posts but seriously no one should have to pay for a bag. I am thankful I am not where you all are and seriously Target should either stop sending plastic (there are paper bags I have one from Austin) or eat the cost.

This is part of the reason why california is failing (sorry not turning this political)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back