Archived Barista TM VS Backroom TM

Which Job Is Best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kartman

MasterBlaster (User has passed away)
So it looks like they might be replacing FA with a Starbucks. I really don't think I'd enjoy frigging around with the BS that comes with being a Barista and I've always been interested in learning how the Backroom works.

What are your thoughts about one job over another? I'm in a quandary over this...

I think it would be fun to watch you deal with the snotty yoga helicopter moms with their half soy, sugar free vanilla, half caf, extra hot, lattes.
However I think you would be better served by working in the backroom.

Yeh.....what Commie said.
Been there & dun that; guarantee you wouldn't make it a week before committing homicide.
Of course you'd be acquitted if you had a jury of baristas.
Before I left I kept begging to go to backroom but they said I was 'too nice' for that.
Really.

As I expected, but I wanted to check with my brothers and sisters first.

Pros of Backroom???

Sounds great to me.

This is how I do things...

auwhsw.gif

The baristas at my store are always happy, but that's because they have an awesome TL and everyone on their team is really great. The backroom team at my store is always cranky and pissed, but that's because their TL and ETL are both rude and unhelpful. My store seems backwards :p

Our backroom team gets double and triple the hours the baristas get. I believe both teams are happy tho since none of us deal with red card harassment.

So it looks like they might be replacing FA with a Starbucks. I really don't think I'd enjoy frigging around with the BS that comes with being a Barista and I've always been interested in learning how the Backroom works.

What are your thoughts about one job over another? I'm in a quandary over this...

Your store doesn't have both already? I didn't realize some stores didn't have SB.

@redeye58 is being a barista that bad?
BEING a barista isn't that bad; it's the uber-entitled guests that make it bad.
I had quite a herd of regulars that were really cool to deal with but your whole day could be shattered by that 'one guest' that:
-bitches that you didn't make their drink the 'right' way despite following everything written on their cup
-gripes about paying for add-ons because all the other SB don't charge (yeh, that's a lie)
-whines that the drinks cost too much (like I have ANYTHING to do with pricing)
-said I scanned their card/app wrong because they're SURE they have a free drink
-says the pastries are stale so they should get one 'free'
-is pissed that we're out of (fill in favorite obscure item here)
-questions whether the free drink promotion ended more than a week ago; yes, I'm sure of the dates.
-brings a grande-sized cup, pays for a tall & gets pissed when you MAKE them a tall instead of filling up the cup
-snaps you didn't spell their name right on the cup (doesn't matter, you still don't respond when I call your drink because you're playing on your phone)
-insists the coffee isn't fresh (just brewed it 8 minutes ago)
-is pissed we don't have a place for them to plug in their devices while they set up their office on two tables (& conduct a couple of interviews) for hours while only buying a small coffee
And this is just the short list.

Last edited:
Lordy!!! I'm thinking BR for sure!

BEING a barista isn't that bad; it's the uber-entitled guests that make it bad.
I had quite a herd of regulars that were really cool to deal with but your whole day could be shattered by that 'one guest' that:
-bitches that you didn't make their drink the 'right' way despite following everything written on their cup
-gripes about paying for add-ons because all the other SB don't charge (yeh, that's a lie)
-whines that the drinks cost too much (like I have ANYTHING to do with pricing)
-said I scanned their card/app wrong because they're SURE they have a free drink
-says the pastries are stale so they should get one 'free'
-is pissed that we're out of (fill in favorite obscure item here)
-questions whether the free drink promotion ended more than a week ago; yes, I'm sure of the dates.
-brings a grande-sized cup, pays for a tall & gets pissed when you MAKE them a tall instead of filling up the cup
-snaps you didn't spell their name right on the cup (doesn't matter, you still don't respond when I call your drink because you're playing on your phone)
-insists the coffee isn't fresh (just brewed it 8 minutes ago)
-is pissed we don't have a place for them to plug in their devices while they set up their office on two tables (& conduct a couple of interviews) for hours while only buying a small coffee
And this is just the short list.

Gosh, now I'm scared. A good portion of our Starbucks TM's outright quit or left, and they just trained me for Food Ave and when you're FA it's assumed you will also be Starbucks.
I imagine it's a matter of time until they train me and put me there often (if they can because the other cashiers adore me and don't want me leaving o_Oo_Oo_O)

Develop a steel hide, practice a passive smile & learn what your SBTL does/does NOT flex on (ie: if they want a single pump of syrup or a small splash of soy, we don't charge).

Backroom, is always a lot of work but often you get to work alone at your own pace(unless you lack a sense of urgency!). What you do in the backroom depends when you come in, morning, mid-shift and closers all vary in roles and there are other roles that can be had in during those period. Personally I preferred working in the steel in the morning dealing with the bulk with another helper, i rather not everyday deal with blackline in the morning, throwing up 40 boxes of 9" paper plates and gallons of detergent was a bit too much of a workout. I always liked being mid-shift puller or dealing with smaller tasks like MIR.

Don't worry much about making coffee as a barista. Most of the time you'll be getting iced waters for people at the end of the hand off. We are just one big fancy water fountain for the guests and TMs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back