Gen X-Target vs Gen Z-Target

I've completely stopped frequenting Target. My last significant purchase there was when I needed specialty GE light bulbs for my refrigerator, which only Target carried. That was nearly seven months ago.

When comparing the experiences between generations, Gen-X and Gen-Z, at Target, the differences are glaring. It's hard to know where to start.

Anything you desire at Target can now be easily sourced from numerous other retailers. There's no longer anything distinctive about it, and the stores themselves feel drab, devoid of color, and downright disheartening. It's as if every store in the shopping center shares the same uninspired grey and white color scheme, lacking any semblance of charm.

Setting aesthetics aside, there's little to get excited about.

Target once prided itself on going above and beyond to captivate its customers and bring innovative products to the masses.

I fondly remember collections like Global Bazaar, brimming with unique treasures. That was in 2005, when Target was at its pinnacle. I still cherish some of the pieces I acquired then.

The last significant collection worth mentioning was the 20th Anniversary lineup, which featured heavyweights like Lilly Pulitzer, Hunter, Michael Graves, Mossimo, Jason Wu, and more.

Today's offerings pale in comparison. The clothing lines are lackluster, designed by uninspired creatives who seem to have missed the mark entirely. There's nothing particularly noteworthy or thrilling, and everything seems overly modernized, cheap, and generic.

Take, for instance, the Amish Farm Dresses of 2021 – was this line intended for social media ridicule under the hashtag "Who Wore It Worst?" Or the Lu-La-Roe knockoffs that seem to dominate the racks – or as Isaac Mizrahi would say Oh-Just-No! It makes one wonder, did they consult any fashion experts or glance through the latest style guides from GQ?

And what's with the obsession with boxy designs? Nothing seems to flatter anyone; it's all baggy and unflattering.

My disappointment extends to the furniture and home goods selection. Many items seem to be uninspired remnants of the passing Mid-Century Modern trend, oblivious to the fact that it's already on the way out.

I could continue listing grievances, but I'll stop here. Shopping at Target no longer feels like a special treat or a source of joy for many. This sentiment isn't just mine; it's a common observation among my friends and coworkers.

It's disheartening because Target used to be synonymous with fun and friendliness, a company that went out of its way to make shopping an enjoyable experience. Now it's just a place to buy Laundry Detergent and Paper Towels.

Last edited:
Back