Archived bastards calling in sick because 11:15 is so late

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was working till 9:30 on tuesday and the 4-11:15 person called out. so i stayed, someone had to and I am not a total dick. the next night was my turn 4-11:15. i showed up. tonight i am off, but some other bastard called out. so they asked me to come in. ya, 11:15 sucks. i was up till 2 cause i had an energy drink so i could function till 11:15. barely got 5 hours sleep. but its a job i signed up for and 11:15 is the requirement. why can't anyone else do their part? there's plenty of night cashiers, we can all share the crappy 11:15 shift.

/rant. :mad:

People who call out just because they didn't want to work need to be scheduled whatever the minimum weekly hours are.

Likewise, people who never call out deserve SOME type of reward at raisetime. I'm thinking something like at least 1% more added to the normal % raise.

I haven't called out (knock wood) yet.

I do cuz I like getting hours.

Yeah that happened alot this week too, we had 8 call ins and 3 no shows last night it was crazy.

I'm shocked ... SHOCKED ... I tell you that Target has this problem. (BTW, can anyone teach me how to do sarcasm font from my cell phone?)

The argument can be made that this retail. Low paying. Dead end. That's what some management (and some politicians) want you to believe. That it's part time. Not a REAL job. Certainly not one worthy of respect.

Well, fine. If it's all that, then people will treat it as disposable and not worthy of their respect.

I do see both sides. But I don't get upset when people call off. I work my schedule and leave. If I want to pick up hours, other people calling off just means it's easier.

11:15? My store is open until midnight until Christmas eve. Also, call outs haven't been bad this week because they've been cutting hours so people are actually coming to work.

My store is staying open till midnight as part of holiday hours on several weekends this month and even some weekdays. Some of us are scheduled later than that but we're cool with it because of energy drinks and being allowed to jam to our music when the store is guest free for the night.

I'm shocked ... SHOCKED ... I tell you that Target has this problem. (BTW, can anyone teach me how to do sarcasm font from my cell phone?)

The argument can be made that this retail. Low paying. Dead end. That's what some management (and some politicians) want you to believe. That it's part time. Not a REAL job. Certainly not one worthy of respect.

Well, fine. If it's all that, then people will treat it as disposable and not worthy of their respect.

I do see both sides. But I don't get upset when people call off. I work my schedule and leave. If I want to pick up hours, other people calling off just means it's easier.

Unfortunately, that is how Target treats it's non management employees. This treatment just snowballs. Many employees reciprocate that lack of caring and lack of appreciation, and treat their position as disposable. For many it's just a paycheck, no loyalty, no caring about what happens to their coworkers when they bail on their shift.

I can't say that I blame them, not with how much Spot's corporate culture has changed in the past 6 months.

People need to be accountable. It's easy to blame Target but it all boils down to this: You decided to work for Target, you agreed to work and be reliable, if you're calling out for a pathetic reason like "I don't feel like working"you should be held accountable. There are days I really don't feel like working but you know what, it's a job, you need to show up if you want to get paid. We need to stop making excuses as to why people are irresponsible. It's called life and being a responsible individual.

People need to be accountable. It's easy to blame Target but it all boils down to this: You decided to work for Target, you agreed to work and be reliable, if you're calling out for a pathetic reason like "I don't feel like working"you should be held accountable. There are days I really don't feel like working but you know what, it's a job, you need to show up if you want to get paid. We need to stop making excuses as to why people are irresponsible. It's called life and being a responsible individual.

I don't disagree with you. However, for 9 bucks an hour, you aren't going to get the cream of the crop.

Most days I can't even get a thank you out of a TL or higher for anything I do. If what I do doesn't even matter enough to to warrant a simple two words then, in all honesty, what does it really matter if I show up or not? That is the message they are giving out. If it matters if I show up (and do a decent job) then act like it when a TM is there. If it doesn't matter, then don't get pissy if the TM isn't there.

11:15pm is sooooo bad

Try 10pm to 9am, with 10 call outs, and half of the team either "gets sick" or "can't stay" past 6am..

I swear.

PS: Dont remember what sarcasm font is, so courier new.

Most days I can't even get a thank you out of a TL or higher for anything I do. If what I do doesn't even matter enough to to warrant a simple two words then, in all honesty, what does it really matter if I show up or not? That is the message they are giving out. If it matters if I show up (and do a decent job) then act like it when a TM is there. If it doesn't matter, then don't get pissy if the TM isn't there.

I'm all for being appreciated but why do you think you deserve a thank you for doing your job every day? Do you think every Tom, Dick and Harry that works out there in the rest of the world gets a thank you for doing their job every day? I'm confused by this attitude. Your thank you is that paycheck you get very 2 weeks. Until you realize that, you'll be sorely disappointed.

(BTW, can anyone teach me how to do sarcasm font from my cell phone?)

If you're on the mobile site, you should have the full toolbar of text options like on the desktop version. Highlighting text on a mobile device is a pain in the ass, at least for iOS (not sure about other platforms).

I'm all for being appreciated but why do you think you deserve a thank you for doing your job every day? Do you think every Tom, Dick and Harry that works out there in the rest of the world gets a thank you for doing their job every day? I'm confused by this attitude. Your thank you is that paycheck you get very 2 weeks. Until you realize that, you'll be sorely disappointed.

For those of us whom are used and abused every day because other people won't show up for work (let alone do their jobs), it's the little things that keep us going.

o_O

The ETL's sure do get excited about Red Cards. So, why is it so hard for them to say "thanks" for doing a great job in other areas of the store?

It's not about the "thanks" - it is about the recognition of a job well done - day in and day out, while facing any challenge. ETLs [& Target] are Nothing without the team members. You can't run a store with purely ETLs.

o_O

The ETL's sure do get excited about Red Cards. So, why is it so hard for them to say "thanks" for doing a great job in other areas of the store?

It's not about the "thanks" - it is about the recognition of a job well done - day in and day out, while facing any challenge. ETLs [& Target] are Nothing without the team members. You can't run a store with purely ETLs.

The same could be said for every job. A bank can't run without the tellers but I highly doubt the tellers are asking to be thanked every day for coming to work and doing a job. Ford can't run without the people on the line putting the cars together, I doubt they're asking to be thanked every day. Target is a job, that's all it is, just another job like every other job. I'm assuming because it's such small pay makes people think it requires some sort of gratitude. It doesn't. I get every once in a while somebody saying "Hey, thanks for going above and beyond", but to actually assume you should be thanked for coming and doing the job you are paid to do, every day, is ludicrous.

No, no, no. A little recognition every now and then goes a long way. It's all about making sure the morale remains high (or at least respectable). I would hate to work for management who thought like you do.

No, no, no. A little recognition every now and then goes a long way. It's all about making sure the morale remains high (or at least respectable). I would hate to work for management who thought like you do.

Recognition is fine. Everybody likes to be recognized for a job done well, but requiring that you are thanked for doing your job every day? That's too much. If they want to 'thank' me, they can give me a good raise. The thinking that you should be offered gratitude every day gives them an out, along the lines of "Just act like you are so happy that they managed to get their zone done, give them a little pat on the head and make them feel good about themselves, then they won't notice their raise is only 14 cents." I don't want to be thanked, I want to be paid, but because the job pays so little we're supposed to think "Well at least I was recognized in morning huddle, they really do appreciate me." No, they don't, and pretending like a pat on the head will make it all better doesn't help.

A little appreciation goes a long way. When I get none until I point it out and they start back peddling, it's a problem. Yes, I do thank my cashiers when they leave for the day. Because I am a decent human being who appreciates the fact they came into work, put up with insane guests, pushed that damn REDcard, and generally did what they could to make my (and everyone else's job) easier. If management believes like you do that recognition is never needed, then morale goes down, and people begin to believe they don't matter. If people believe they don't matter, then it's an easy step to believing it doesn't really matter if they call off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back