Before you sign your life away...

FYI- Most ETLs don't leave b/c of they pay. They leave b/c what is expected of them vs what they are told to expect as an "assistant store manager" differ. If you like work/life balance, an ETL position is not for you.
Yes that is generally true. The thing is, most new ETLs get put into a position without any idea what they are doing. The general process goes like this...
1 - Recruited and told about AMAZING opportunity being an Executive
2 - Hired and put through "business college" where you are shown an ideal situation of the area you are training
3 - Report to your store, spend 6 months "getting to know" the team, area, your leadership style etc...
4 - Your STL tells you the area is not performing, and that is when you know the honeymoon phase is over
5- New ETL scrambles to find solutions they are ill-equipped to solve and burns out

Now, if you know what you are doing this entire thing is avoided. Depending on the area, it is possible to achieve a solid work-life balance.

Rock Lobster

I'm afraid that this is going to happen with our most recent ETL-OPs. He's inheriting a difficult workcenter in an atypical store during the worst time of the year, and has been pulling 12-14 hour days consistently since he's taken over. He's a good dude, a great leader, and I hope that he is able (and willing) to stick around as long as he can handle the unrealistic expectations of our new STL.

Didn't realize there was a Logistics and OPS Etl. He's more an OPS but has always been referred to as Logistics. The gal before this one worked a ridiculous amount of hours as well.

Didn't realize there was a Logistics and OPS Etl. He's more an OPS but has always been referred to as Logistics. The gal before this one worked a ridiculous amount of hours as well.

Yes but remember Asants. Some stores have an ETL Log who oversees all of that and no ETL Ops

Not to bump this, but is an ETL job one someone shouldn’t take under any circumstances? I’m about to graduate from college and am under consideration for an ETL-HR position. I’m really looking at it just to get HR experience (it wasn’t my major) and pivot to another (non retail) industry. Is this really a position I should avoid at all costs? If it matters at all I’ve worked in retail for another company for 5 years and know all too well the pitfalls the fresh from college managers around me fall into. I also understand the principle that the TL will be much wiser than I, I get it’s almost a military concept where the new officer should yield to their more experienced SGT. is this job really that awful?

It can be that awful depending on your leadership, and a TL position is even worse. Job security is not that great if your leadership takes a dislike to you, and there is always a new crop of newly minted graduates waiting to take your place, ready to drink the kool-aid and willing to work cheap, or at least cheaper than you after you’re had your first raise. Pay is not commensurate with stress levels, work/life balance is a joke, and since an ETL is salaried and will have to work as many hours as required for the needs of the business, their actual pay per hour worked may not be anything to write home about. Wouldn’t be worth it to me, but if you want to take a shot at it to have the experience for your resume, it might be worth it to you, or you might be better off starting out in the industry that you want to move into. Either way, good luck!

If you want the experience to move into another industry, then ETL-HR is the way to go. In my area also, it seems to be the best position to have to move into another field.

If I were you, I would first decide what field you want to go to after Target. I would then investigate if the skills set you would be developing at Spot would be valuable and transferable to that position and industry.

Do this by making contact with an executive at the corporate level at a company in that industry and get their opinion on your plan. In this case, the VP of HR would be an good place to start. If you are graduating from a large university, the alumni organization maybe able to help you contact a graduate that already has that role. If not, cold call the VP at the company you would like to work at and tell their administrative assistant that you are not looking for a job with that company now, but you have another offer you are on the fence about and would like just a few minutes of the VP's time to see if it would be easy in the future to move into their industry. This will make sure you will not be spending time learning things that will be useless to that industry, and if the VP takes an interest in you, they may ask if you would consider interviewing with them now. Or, they may say to keep in touch periodically and let them know how you are doing, which you may be able to turn in to a mentoring relationship that will help you down the line.

Before you start at Target, pick a hard date that you will definitely leave by either having found a new job or resigning to find a new job. Too many people take a job with the idea of only being there a short time and the next thing they know they are there for 19 years ( 🤪 ). Once you start at Target, be as frugal as you can be and save every penny that you can. Limit the Panera lunches that you buy to eat with the other ETLs and SD. Brown bag your lunches as much as possible without alienating them. If you need/want a new car, buy a nice used one. Save every way you can so that if you need to resign to look for a new job, you will have the funds to support you during the new job search. (If you find the new job while still at Target, you can then use some of that cushion money to celebrate and get some of the things you denied yourself).

Continually update your CV with your new duties and skills, and no matter how tired you are, continually look for the job you really want to apply for.

Yes, the description of the ETL position is an honest one. Depending on the leadership above you, you may even think it was sugar coated. So, go in with a plan and stick to it. Good luck!

Last edited:
This explains so much! I'm the blue collar worker...despite the fact that I have a degree, actually. It's the fact that I'm disabled that relegates me to the ranks of the unclean, lol

Back