Archived Being Called In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanstan95

Cashier/Guest Service/Occasional Reshop/Hardlines
I'm relatively new to Target (and the retail world in general, which is probably why I still like this job, other than Red Cards), having been a Cashier there for a little over 2 months now. The team is great, there isn't a person I've met so far that I dislike (except for one nameless GSA who is out for a while at the moment) and I can see myself staying for a long time. I'm currently on as part-time, mainly due to classes starting up recently, and have a maximum 25 hours. I don't usually get that many, as expected, but what has happened 5 times this week (every day that I haven't been scheduled to work in the last 7 days) is they call me to see if I want to pick up any hours. 4/5 times by an LOD, 1 time by the lady sitting in the HR room.

It's getting very tedious, and quite frankly annoying, to have to keep saying no to them, or not even return the call, because I plan my days around not working, and it's not too often that I can come in spontaneously like that. Is there any harm being done by me taking virtually none of these calls? I don't want to bring it up since I'm still in my "90 days" thing, but I think it's fair enough that I shouldn't be expected to come in on the spot on a day that I otherwise planned on having off.

You're just a name on the list they'll call. You can generally be frank about not being called unless you want them too, which I have never had a issue with when I was just doing 1 or 2 shifts a week max. Don't worry about it.

Going in makes you a hero though. Nothing adds on to the "why should xxx get promoted" list like dedication and willing to lend aid when greatly needed... They aren't just calling for fun, you know..
(Of course, in instances that your schedule outside of target allows)

Last edited:
I've canceled a date before to go into work, as a TM. I told her if she wants to go somewhere better/again I'm going to need money to pay for it so we can hold this off.

Last edited:
It all depends on the approach you took with them. I've made it clear that outside of family emergency, work comes first. There is no shortage of responsibility at my house, for sure but nothing happens for us without money.

It shouldn't be held against you, but I will tell you that there is nothing more annoying than having absolutely no one respond to calls when trying to get someone to come in. I have a lot more respect for TMs that at least answer the phone and just let me know that they cannot make it than the ones that never answer the phone at all.

Even taking just one extra shift every few weeks will make you look a lot better to your TLs.

I have a lot more respect for TMs that at least answer the phone and just let me know that they cannot make it than the ones that never answer the phone at all.

Dunno, I answer if I want to work, I don't if I don't. I don't feel I need to explain why I can't or don't want to work on the 1-2 days off I get a week. It's bad enough that the GSTL will try and guilt-trip me into staying later when I don't want to.

He regularly asks me if I can stay late, no problem, I typically take him up on the offer. But there's been twice where he asked and I said sorry, no, I have plans, and then he tried to get me to drop those plans and stay late anyway. The last time he asked, I said no, I have plans, then five minutes later he asked and offered to buy me lunch if I stayed. He finally dropped it when I asked how a free lunch was supposed to make the plans I'd had for several days somehow not exist.

I always answer because half the time it's "hey Jill, where did you leave that thing?"

Of course the answer is always "in the drawer where the thing belongs."

"we have a drawer for the thing?"

"Yes. Guest services, second from the right."

I'd rather deal with stupid than get blamed for losing the thing.

I am so glad to be at a store that won't guilt trip people into staying. If an LOD has me ask people to stay, I simply ask them. If they say yes, they get my gratitude (especially if it helps me out). If they say no, I thank them for being straight with an answer, and it's never brought up again.

After a while, we generally arrange our call in list to call those who have said yes in the past. Those who will never stay late or always say no (or don't call back) just get shifted to the bottom of the list or don't get called at all. So while it really won't affect you, when hours dry up and you find yourself desperate for hours and hoping to be called in or asked to stay, you may not be asked at all.

Just ignore the calls, and they'll probably forget they even called you. Answering them, you risk them noticing how often you say NO, and it could affect your employment outcome at 90 days.

Just make Target as a contact in your phone and set a custom ringtone as an Air Raid Siren or something ;) lol

Thanks for the feedback - however I still wonder, is it normal for them to call this often? Not counting days I was already scheduled for, it's been daily for a week now (awaiting the call today any minute now...)

Those who answer those calls and come in are the ones who are the first ones to get a more preferred schedule or amount of hours as well. I had countless team members ask me for extra shifts all the time and say they have mouths to feed but when you asked them to come in well in advance they never would. They are also first to complain when they only get scheduled 14 hours in a week and Betty who is slower than you got 40. Why? Because Betty was willing to help out the team when asked.

I always answer because half the time it's "hey Jill, where did you leave that thing?"

Of course the answer is always "in the drawer where the thing belongs."

"we have a drawer for the thing?"

"Yes. Guest services, second from the right."

I'd rather deal with stupid than get blamed for losing the thing.

My Team Lead got fired for texting/calling team members about work off the clock.

We've got just enough undependable TMs that I'm able to pick up hrs now.
Sad for them but good for me.

I feel like this has become a huge trend the last year or so. Today we had a closing or mid cashier, opening guest service, Closing GSTL, and Flow TL(opening backroom shift) all call out. Those four are what I know of. Yesterday had the mid in Starbucks call out.

I have no clue what to refer to my store as in terms of how busy it is compared to others - I've seen it as crazy (Labor Day) as needing all 14 registers open and STILL being backed up, and also as quiet as having one guest literally every 10 minutes, only one register open (the night of the day after Labor Day).

Most days I was there before back-to-school kicked in, we'd need to call for 1-2 backup cashiers maybe twice, sometimes 3 times, over the course of the late afternoon and early evening, if that says much.

I didn't work Labor Day, but I think we did $117,000 in sales that day. I recall checking the day after, but don't remember the exact amount any longer.

Tonight we did a whopping ~$60,800, soooo slow. I couldn't barely find things to do to stay busy. even cleaned all the register belts.

I sometimes feel bad not coming in when they say hey Teamred can you come in when my phone rings I have a huge annoying sound on my phone so I know it's them but at the same time I want to enjoy my day off and it might seem like I am not a team player but let's be real here would spot ever come in to a Target on his day off ( I know this would never ever happen) but just for pretend would he come into a target pitch in and help out? Doubtful...Doubtful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back