Archived Being moved around a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, so I just checked the 2 week out schedule and saw I have cart attendant shifts. Which I've gone out and gotten carts for up to 2 hours during a hardlines shift but never had a real CA shift. This is also not the only new area they've scheduled me under recently. I got thrown into pfresh this week and have been getting quite a bit of backroom shifts. I'm just curious if this has happened to anyone else. I'm all for learning new areas and being trained everywhere but I hope its not because of something bad. Recently a TL asked me if I wanted to be her mentee for some program about moving up in target but I don't really know what that's for even though I happily told her I'd do it.

It could be many reasons. Maybe...
a) They accidentally put it as the wrong workcentre but will put you in your main workcentre on the day of the shift. Since it's multiple shifts, I'm not so sure about that. (Chances of this being the case: 50% It could be the case, but based on the information provided, I'm not so sure.)
b) They need coverage in areas and know you have the training compared to other team members and they can count on you (A very good thing, though) (Chances of this being the case: 90%)

It sounds like the leadership knows you're reliable and hopefully wants to give you opportunities!

It could be many reasons. Maybe...
a) They accidentally put it as the wrong workcentre but will put you in your main workcentre on the day of the shift. Since it's multiple shifts, I'm not so sure about that. (Chances of this being the case: 50% It could be the case, but based on the information provided, I'm not so sure.)
b) They need coverage in areas and know you have the training compared to other team members and they can count on you (A very good thing, though) (Chances of this being the case: 90%)

It sounds like the leadership knows you're reliable and hopefully wants to give you opportunities!
I think B is the answer. Likely all the normal cart attendees are unavailable that day/shift due to whatever reason so to get it covered they looked for someone who has "been there done that got it done" to fill in for a shift. Seen it happen at my store.

I think it's actually good to be moved around a lot. You get more experience and be more global that way. And it sounds especially good if a TL wants to be a mentor for you. That means they see a potential in you and would want to develop you.

I think it's actually good to be moved around a lot. You get more experience and be more global that way. And it sounds especially good if a TL wants to be a mentor for you. That means they see a potential in you and would want to develop you.

I agree with this. Soo much. I love where I work in my store and have no desire to spend substantial time elsewhere but have mentioned wanting to at least be cross trained on the diff floor areas. Mostly, this was early on when I was hired seasonally - I wanted to be able to pick up shifts. Now, I just think it would be beneficial to my store since I always show up && could help elsewhere if coverage were needed && would willingly do it with a smile on my face unlike some other tms . But I'm kind of stuck in my work center (fr) because I do well there && there aren't many people who rotate there.... Which is great for me, but also limiting.

I've been begging to get some training in electronics because I cover breaks there frequently - but not enough to always be useful to guests. I have had to cover electronics while being in the FR more than once, and more often lately. Which is fine by me - but just wish I didn't look like an idiot when I can't do something for a guest in that area since I've never encountered it. Thankfully I have helpful tms, and I just keep leeching info from them as I come up with questions -- and I have a fairly pleasant demeanor so guests tend to be understanding if I explain.

I'd say take the new areas && mentor ship as a good opportunity for growth /globalization and don't worry too much. Really can't hurt to have knowledge or experience. And, you never know when or if the opportunity would arise again.

Last edited:
Also, if I may add: The more areas you learn, the more indispensable/valuable you become to the store which also means more opportunities.
So you can be stuck in the spot you are at forever. To be a bridesmaid forever instead of a bride =p. (Tm instead of a team lead).

Once you are indispensable in your current spot they may be hesitant to move you up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back