Best TL position to apply for and be in?

All of our closing TLs have promoted to ETL.
Our previous Closing TL was promoted to a ETL at a neighboring store. They're the only internal ETL promotion I've witnessed in 7 years.

As for the topic, I've applied for SETL and Fulfillment TL in the past, I think they're probably the only TL positions I'd want personally.

The team where the TMs consistently show up and do their jobs. My TL says GM is so easy because we practically never call off and most of us know what we're doing. Fulfillment is pretty consistent too. Style and Front End are always calling off and it shows by how Style is usually a mess and not pushed and cashiers are constantly calling for back-up.

The team where the TMs consistently show up and do their jobs. My TL says GM is so easy because we practically never call off and most of us know what we're doing. Fulfillment is pretty consistent too. Style and Front End are always calling off and it shows by how Style is usually a mess and not pushed and cashiers are constantly calling for back-up.
But this usually has to do with leaders not enforcing policy and performance managing. S&E attendance is probably the worst in my store and when closing, i’m constantly sending support for the same repeat offenders with attendance issues. Yet zero documentation and enforcement of policy is why it’s continuing.

But this usually has to do with leaders not enforcing policy and performance managing. S&E attendance is probably the worst in my store and when closing, i’m constantly sending support for the same repeat offenders with attendance issues. Yet zero documentation and enforcement of policy is why it’s continuing.
It’s definitely annoying that leaders can’t submit a PDD for someone not coded under your work center. I’ve had to start bcc’ing HR in the emails I send their TLs to make sure they actually get submitted

It’s definitely annoying that leaders can’t submit a PDD for someone not coded under your work center. I’ve had to start bcc’ing HR in the emails I send their TLs to make sure they actually get submitted
This.

You coach. Write up the coaching document in an email sent to SETLs, ETL, HR, and yourself. Ask SETL to copy into Workday for you. (Hey Sally Sue, I had an attendance convo with Bonnie Belle. I typed it up so all you have to do is copy it into Workday).

Dang, only time I've blind cc'd is when emailing a guest, to keep my partner/boss in the loop. Also it helps to have some sort of relationship with those TLs, so that they're more comfortable with you writing on their team members. Above board is the way to be, imo. Better for trust and a better look for everyone, though I'm sure lots of stores have terrible dynamics where TLs are competitive or possessive or don't talk to each other. I've told all the TLs who are closers and anybody who has brought concerns about my team to me that they're free to coach my team on the spot and write something for me to document, for things that are clearly out of line.

Depends if you want to promote past TL. Closing is the most stressful TL position as you will be running the entire store for the majority of your shift with no support. That being said, you answer directly to the SD and the position looks great on your record when you push for ETL.

Not being part of either of those work centers, I can't say what's going on. And it's not like GM is perfect - probably every area has its problems.

I applied to two positions and they’re still open with my applications being from a month ago. This store also has several leadership positions with no progress on my application.

Depends if you want to promote past TL. Closing is the most stressful TL position as you will be running the entire store for the majority of your shift with no support. That being said, you answer directly to the SD and the position looks great on your record when you push for ETL.
I find closing TL to be an incredibly easy position. Additionally, you’re not truly responsible for wild metrics like a Flex TL, GM, Food, SB, or Specialty. I truly think this position is held higher than it really is. That’s just my opinion.

I find closing TL to be an incredibly easy position. Additionally, you’re not truly responsible for wild metrics like a Flex TL, GM, Food, SB, or Specialty. I truly think this position is held higher than it really is. That’s just my opinion.
Our closing TL is paged constantly. They are always running from the front end to the backroom and back again. They jump in OPUs, cover SCO and Service Desk, zone the endcaps down the main aisles, collect carts and abandons around the store, etc - not to mention their duties with regard to closing the store. Just my observation, but seems like a lot.

Did you speak with EtL or SD?
I haven’t called the store yet as I figured they are short staffed and didn’t want to make them annoyed. Should I call, but then say what?

I haven’t called the store yet as I figured they are short staffed and didn’t want to make them annoyed. Should I call, but then say what?
Calling might be an interruption or an annoyance, and actually getting someone on the phone can be difficult in some stores, but if you have a good working relationship with an ETL you might casually ask them if any progress has been made on filling those positions, or you could bite the bullet and ask the SD. It seems like it’s taking them a long time to make a decision for whatever reason, so hopefully they will view your question as being interested in the position and not as being annoying. Hard to say without knowing the leaders involved, and sometimes even if you do. Good luck, hope you get the position you want.😁

Food and Closing.
Once you get to know your team and routines theyre the most flexible roles to be in. Everything else is a fucking stuck in the mud shitshow right now.

Calling might be an interruption or an annoyance, and actually getting someone on the phone can be difficult in some stores, but if you have a good working relationship with an ETL you might casually ask them if any progress has been made on filling those positions, or you could bite the bullet and ask the SD. It seems like it’s taking them a long time to make a decision for whatever reason, so hopefully they will view your question as being interested in the position and not as being annoying. Hard to say without knowing the leaders involved, and sometimes even if you do. Good luck, hope you get the position you want.😁
Called twice, no answer from the HR extension or the store in general.

Say no more . Back in the day my sd wanted me to do closing but then said it’s not for me because it’s to boring , so instead he gave me remodel to keep me on my toes 😂 but I think inbound is the best. Just the fast pace work and being out by 6:30 am

Called twice, no answer from the HR extension or the store in general.
Well, that’s a bummer. Been there, done that. Sorry I wasn’t very clear but what I should have said was that you might have a better chance of getting an answer if you went to the store and spoke to an ETL or the SD on the sales floor, if you can find one of them out there in a non-stressful situation. Trying to speak to them in their office seems to just pre-load a lot of tension, so a quick question on common ground might get a more honest reaction. What a shame that getting anyone on the phone at Spot seems to be almost impossible these days. Good luck!

Say no more . Back in the day my sd wanted me to do closing but then said it’s not for me because it’s to boring , so instead he gave me remodel to keep me on my toes 😂 but I think inbound is the best. Just the fast pace work and being out by 6:30 am
Boring? I don't know how anyone has time to bored with the state of the stores right now! Bored is the last thing anyone should be, lordy folks better not come to me and tell me they're bored because I will LOSE IT.

Boring? I don't know how anyone has time to bored with the state of the stores right now! Bored is the last thing anyone should be, lordy folks better not come to me and tell me they're bored because I will LOSE IT.
I personally think is boring . I did it 3 times and said it’s just not for me .overnight is my jam so much to do and doing it freely it’s just what I like .

PML. If you have any type of ability to do the job then it is the best leadership position in the store hands down.
This. You work for the PMBP, and if you have any problematic ETLs or SD, your boss can drop by unannounced to them for the harshest visit that they’ll fill the DSD on, then pull them in the office after and set them straight, you’ll have a ton of exposure to the PMD (although you probably will end up wanting to stay in role vs promoting), you might make more money, you won’t fight for the DEO scraps at review time with the rest of the store; the list goes on. No more carrying a zebra, you wear black and guests think you’re a vendor, you’ll probably talk to your boss a couple times a week at most, via text or a quick call, and you’ll maybe see them every other week. Oh, and Monday-Friday early shifts 40 hours a week, no more and no less. Get bored? Want more money? Nail it for a year then ask for a harder assignment, and get an additional raise for moving to a more complex store.

Back