Archived Best work center/position for independent, hard-working individual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unreturnable

Receiving/Reverse Logistics
Just trying to get some opinions, which I'm sure will be quite varied. Anyway, I ask because I'll have some freedom to steer where I'm headed soon - I'm a backroom TM who is currently working remodel during our Pfresh transition. I can definitely go back to backroom, could do Plano, and was also told Market was the best place for me. I could probably petition for work centers other than those as well.

I'm a hard worker, detail-oriented, and I like to go as fast and as smart as possible. I don't mind working with a team, I'm friendly with pretty much everyone at the store, but I HATE being held back by a team. When I have to stand around waiting on a lazy person or else do their work for them before I can do my own, I do go slightly crazy. I really love the variety and independence I've had during remodel - my favorite part so far was being told "This week you're moving cosmetics to a temp section, all by yourself, figure out how to do it." I took that and ran with it, think I did an awesome job. I think signing would be great but we have an awesome signing person already.

So who has a fun, fast, but somewhat independent job at Target?

Backroom Day, all the way. But I suppose it would depend on the size of your store. At mine, the closer is alone at night and pretty much given free reign.

The unemployment office.

This is not a company that likes hard working independent thinkers. Seriously. They need people to drink the koolaid. Doing other people's work isn't seen as a good thing because assume you will do it then on.

"Figure out how to do it" sounds like the typical Target training motto.

You'll do great in a food area. Market/PFresh is not so bad once you get the hang of it. Moving from the floor to a food area was the best Target choice I ever made. More money and less B.S.!

The unemployment office.

This is not a company that likes hard working independent thinkers. Seriously. They need people to drink the koolaid. Doing other people's work isn't seen as a good thing because assume you will do it then on.
this!!

I'd say Signing but there is only one per store so it's not an easy job to get.
If you can it would be a good fit since you are a team of one, you learn as you go, there are constant challenges, you get to be all over the store, get to work with everybody, and know a little bit of everything.

Depends greatly on the team, but Instocks. I did have to pick up slack of others a lot of the time(crappy coworkers in general) but when you divide the task lists it becomes very self-oriented. I loved finishing a difficult list before the rest of team who had easier lists.

Backroom Day closer, i can do whatever i want when i want and how i want, its the best for an independent job since it is just me, plus each day is a challenge and i like challenges

Something that is not guest intensive. Whatever you have planned to do or want to do is shelved depending on guest traffic and rightly so.It sounds like you like tasks and hate detours. I would say backroom day too. There are so many things that have to be done to keep things running smoothly for the rest of the store.

Signing, no one knows where or what or cares what im doing they just know signs magically appear overhead, your hands will become cramping paper scar covered and you can use your pole as a weapon or make remarks to a naive female coworker, will you hold my pole for a sec

i would say signing as well. its the best for independent workers. not that you don't work in conjunction with teams - but you are on your own (unless you have a store that just treats their signing TM like an extra plano person).

or i would also say plano. volunteer for all the big/heavy/lots of displays pogs and you can usually work pretty independently. also after being on the team - if they don't have one you can be "fairly" independent if you can try and be the "revision caption" and manage that workload.

but these days most teams are so strapped for people every workcenter is like being on an island anyway.

It depends. I think Back room is best, but I have a pretty decent team, so I can do my own thing and not have to worry about compensating for the other TMs which can happen. I always find myself having to finish other peoples workload on the plano team because they slack so much.

Glad for this thread. I was thinking of moving from Flow to Plano... but have heard some bad things about it? Apparently the latter pays more but I really like the independence and physical activity that I get on the flow team. I feel pretty much on my own all day and that's the way I like it, but working in the baby stuff is getting old fast and I think i'd like to make a bit more... any advice?

Also, what must one do to change positions? I was told to consult HR but not sure exactly how to go about it.

Last edited:
Ask & be willing to learn something new.

Thanks, but is it really HR that I ask? Shouldn't I go to a TL or something also?

Additionally, it is possible just to cross train and try something out for a while, then go back if it doesn't work out, no? Or switch back and forth on different days?

Ask & be willing to learn something new.

Thanks, but is it really HR that I ask? Shouldn't I go to a TL or something also?

Additionally, it is possible just to cross train and try something out for a while, then go back if it doesn't work out, no? Or switch back and forth on different days?
Knowing all areas, is a way being global at spot. More hours for you. Just ask & say I can do it. If you are trained correctly, no problem. Not sure, just ask us, we will help you.
Swap shift is a good thing too.

Depends greatly on the team, but Instocks. I did have to pick up slack of others a lot of the time(crappy coworkers in general) but when you divide the task lists it becomes very self-oriented. I loved finishing a difficult list before the rest of team who had easier lists.

Agree with this completely. I think backroom is a higher pay grade tho..

The unemployment office.

I know my posts can be a little...snarky....sometimes, but what is the koolaid reference? Is it from a movie? I hear it in the store. Here. It's time to know!

The unemployment office.

I know my posts can be a little...snarky....sometimes, but what is the koolaid reference? Is it from a movie? I hear it in the store. Here. It's time to know!

Back in the '70s a man named Jim Jones had a cult that moved to Guyana and he convinced a few hundred people to drink kool-aid that was spiked with cyanide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back