Archived Bike Building

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was approached by an ETL today about whether I'd be interested in training for Bike Building. We have one in our store already, but obviously it's always good to have someone else trained.

I don't actually know that much about bikes. I went through some of the guides here on the break room, but couldn't find anything.

I'm thinking of taking the position as I've heard it's not difficult and comes with a raise, about 50 cents or so, but still

That said, does anyone have any advice or information that could help me make a final decision, or what to expect? Any info would be appreciated.

I haven't built bikes personally, but this idiot at my old store did it and he was damn near useless so you should be fine.

We have a couple people trained, but right now they only use 4 hours per week (more than enough to keep our bike wall full). I wouldn't expect a raise since those usually only apply when you work 50% or more of your hours in the new workcenter.

1 POG person, receiver, BRTL, 2 BRTMs. There is almost always someone there who can build a bike, but there aren't many bike hours.

Take the training and any extra hours. Always good to learn something new and it will keep leadership thinking you are a tm worthy of opportunities/promotions/hours ect.

Our good bike builder quit before his replacement could be trained. The person building bikes for now should not be trusted to build bikes.

One of our guys in Electronics is a Bike Builder. Lately he's been scheduled an 8 hour shift each week with 4 hours being Electronics and 4 hours being Bike Builder. Otherwise he's all Electronics.

Wow. Apparently it can be almost anyone. Cart Attendants, Hardlines, etc. Interesting to know.

I talked to the ETL who offered it, it would be about 8 hours a week, and the other Electronics TM trained in it would get 8 as well. So either a couple shorter or one full shift for me, which might be very zen to have a day of work to listen to music and work alone, without customers in a smaller area, rather than running around zoning and guest servicing.

Also, from what my ETL said, there used to be a pay bump before min wage was increased in our state. Since bike building is the same pay level as electronics, I don't get an increase since I do electronics already and get that level of pay. I talked to my bike builder and he confirmed it, and the GSTL that originally referred me for electronics and told me about the pay boost for bike builder was relying on the knowledge from the old bike builder who still got the raise.

So no raise for me, but I think I'll take it for the change of pace.

also, like backroomgirl said, it's good to show the higher ups that I'm good to keep around, give lots of hours to and etc. I've gotten recognized in the past for my willingness to volunteer for new or difficult positions or jobs and my work ethic. I just took electronics a couple weeks ago and already I get more done in 5 hours than my fellow electronics TMs get done in a full 8 hour shift. I rarely slack off and it's often for a short time, or a longer time but justified as it's usually getting to know another Team Member better.

I think I'll be taking it.

Thanks for the advice all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back