Black Friday 2023

It was a good, very busy day at my store. Nothing compared to the crowds of 5 years ago, but busy enough to be stressful.

I would say we were weekend busy in the store, but SFS was bonkers all day. Orders just kept dropping in well past what we were forecasted so it looked liked we weren't progressing at all.

I would say we were weekend busy in the store, but SFS was bonkers all day. Orders just kept dropping in well past what we were forecasted so it looked liked we weren't progressing at all.

Only went a little over forecast but almost 5000 is a pretty hefty day for a low volume store.

I've asked a couple of leads and HR person if they've heard or received an email when the closing hours will be extended. They said they aren't aware of extended hours... My response to each one was, hmmmm I'm ODTM and even I know that hours will be extended... just want to know when it will start.... (I'm prepared to lose my job anytime I go in. 😂🤣 ) I really don't know how my store functions... Walmart comes across as being cleaner now...
lol it's so easy to look up the holiday hours on workbench

I was by myself in toys and sporting goods. Maybe any other day it would be fine, but I was overwhelmed today. It's a miracle I only ended with a cart of re-shop.

We did $560k in sales. $401k Originated, $83.7k in OPU, $75k in SFS. Precovid, we sometimes hit over $800k, and mostly in originated sales.

Still crazy though. I backed up a few SFS carts and they probably took me 2/3rds longer to pick because I had to wait for guests to get out of the way. And I had to look way harder because most of the things I was picking had low on-hands and could have easily been in guest carts.

Overall, not a bad day, but I'm not working today, and my shift tomorrow is fulfillment, so all of my to-do's for post BF recovery are going to be delayed in getting done. Oh well..

^^where can you see this info? I heard my store was 1st but I’d love to see the breakdown.

Alternatively, if the information isn't restricted on Greenfield, and you PM your store number, I may be able to look it up. Most of the most commonly used datasets for sales reporting are restricted, for reasons that don't really make any sense to me, but there are others with less column and row level security.

Alternatively, if the information isn't restricted on Greenfield, and you PM your store number, I may be able to look it up. Most of the most commonly used datasets for sales reporting are restricted, for reasons that don't really make any sense to me, but there are others with less column and row level security.
I hate that. I had a bunch of old fulfillment cards I'd made to check other stores, but they killed the datasets they were based on. The new ones all have row level security : (

Should've posted this earlier, but Black Friday was shockingly busy for my store. Last year we made almost no money, but this year we absolutely smashed OPU forecast and comps, and it was steadily busy all morning! After 3 p.m. the store was quiet though lol at least we got catered food on wednesday and black friday though

They go into the managers pocket probably
I don’t know one peer that would rather suffer by cutting payroll, not replacing key shifts, or underposting. It’s a myth.

Truth is we are told by DSDs to spend the payroll but don’t miss the month. If you leave too much payroll on the table it’s a sign that you’re understaffed and can cause your store to get lower payroll the following year.

The payroll game is simple. Target gives X, going over it is essentially cheating because you can solve any problem by throwing bodies at it. So you manage your building with X payroll to achieve results. Not good going way under X as your results will 9 times out of 10 show up poorly.

Taking in the entire month you may underpost one week because you know let’s say wk3 of the month has a massive workload, so you over post wk3 etc. I have yet to meet an SD that doesn’t want more payroll or is scared to spend payroll for arbitrary reasons. I never met a DSD that is happy with a store banking hours for reasons besides training for new hires.

Opposite actually happens. We all fight to be able to spend more payroll. Then again maybe you had a very strange SD. Could be true not knocking what you’re saying.

BF for us was busy but not like years ago. Digital on the other hand…stressful!!!

7k+ daily goals in SFS
6k+ daily goals in OPU

All the way into cyber week.

On top of that, the amount of freight coming in 😂. Been crazy but got through it.

Taking in the entire month you may underpost one week because you know let’s say wk3 of the month has a massive workload, so you over post wk3 etc. I have yet to meet an SD that doesn’t want more payroll or is scared to spend payroll for arbitrary reasons. I never met a DSD that is happy with a store banking hours for reasons besides training for new hires.

Opposite actually happens. We all fight to be able to spend more payroll. Then again maybe you had a very strange SD. Could be true not knocking what you’re saying.
Around Halloween and before there would be days where the cashier-side of front end would get SCO...and no one else until 9 or 10am. Wednesday/Thursday are our slowest days and it's at its worst there. And if we DID have an extra person they'd be stolen for GS...which I hate. They're nice people over there but I resent the short-staffedness this forces onto the cashier-side. There's been days we had three or four cashiers scheduled--ALL DAY. It's less common after Halloween but when the days are bad they're awful.

Backup calls for days. Prompts to "go faster" when you're the sole cashier working. Every day it got like that I'd just be praying for someone to say something to me so I could leave 'em high and dry.

I wish I was in the store you apparently are. I just know when the holiday help leaves we're going back to osteoporosis staffing.

Around Halloween and before there would be days where the cashier-side of front end would get SCO...and no one else until 9 or 10am. Wednesday/Thursday are our slowest days and it's at its worst there. And if we DID have an extra person they'd be stolen for GS...which I hate. They're nice people over there but I resent the short-staffedness this forces onto the cashier-side. There's been days we had three or four cashiers scheduled--ALL DAY. It's less common after Halloween but when the days are bad they're awful.

Backup calls for days. Prompts to "go faster" when you're the sole cashier working. Every day it got like that I'd just be praying for someone to say something to me so I could leave 'em high and dry.

I wish I was in the store you apparently are. I just know when the holiday help leaves we're going back to osteoporosis staffing.
At my store we have this same problem.

It also doesn't help that 2 out of 6 SCO are down usually.

Speaking of holiday hiring, how's it been for everyone? We hired exactly one person for Style. I've seen new faces in FF and front of store, but hardly anywhere else. I think maybe Tech too.

I'm not complaining actually. I prefer it this way.

Back