Archived Black Friday Open Time Guessing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is quite a sore subject for me... stupid retail corporate greed...... but anywho... my vote is we will be opening at 9pm Thanksgiving night. 6am Friday sure would be nice though...

Noon Thursday! I wish I could say I'm just being ridiculous, but after seeing the trend the past few years, nothing would surprise me.
Not sure what Walmart's doing yet. I'll bet it'll be just as dreadful.

Ha. The Denver, CO test was a miserable failure last year. How much extra payroll was spent on the 9 pm opening? We will not be going before 9 pm. I also don't see them going back in time. The "logical" answer is 9 pm opening with A LOT more "deals." Perhaps hourly deals? It's pretty well known amongst STL's that we are not going to be any deeper into Thanksgiving day than we were last year.

***This response contains both fact and opinion***

Ha. The Denver, CO test was a miserable failure last year. How much extra payroll was spent on the 9 pm opening? We will not be going before 9 pm. I also don't see them going back in time. The "logical" answer is 9 pm opening with A LOT more "deals." Perhaps hourly deals? It's pretty well known amongst STL's that we are not going to be any deeper into Thanksgiving day than we were last year.

***This response contains both fact and opinion***
I didn't realize that 9pm opening for my store was a part of a test, I thought all Targets opened then. It was immensely busy, probably as busy if not busier than previous Black Friday's I've been apart of with that store. However, it just died between 1-5am. There were so many TMs and hardly any guests, and we ended up zoning the whole store, filling every possible hole and flexing endcaps, pretty much made the store perfect in a few hours. It's crazy to see what the store is capable of when there is payroll allotted.

Well our sales last year were almost 250k higher then our forecast (about 450k forecast), I could see my store opening earlier.

Considering that over all Target now spends more money on payroll and with only a slight increase in sales so that over all Black Friday is less profitable now then it was when they opened 6AM you would think they would follow common sense and go back to the way it was. This being Target of course that will not happen. The fact is people the number of people that show up and the amount of money they spend is going to be the same. Longer hours just means those people spend that same amount of money over a longer period of time. Spend more to make the same.

Boooo, it's almost time for 4th quarter isn't it? It would be so wasteful to open at or before 9pm. My store barely made sales on Black Friday; I don't think we were over by more than one grand. There's always that huge opening rush, but after that we're dead for another 5 or 6 hours... So much payroll wasted for hardly any profit. I'm going to hope they'll stay at 10pm (or go back to midnight pretty please?) but expect a 9pm opening.

Boooo, it's almost time for 4th quarter isn't it? It would be so wasteful to open at or before 9pm. My store barely made sales on Black Friday; I don't think we were over by more than one grand. There's always that huge opening rush, but after that we're dead for another 5 or 6 hours... So much payroll wasted for hardly any profit. I'm going to hope they'll stay at 10pm (or go back to midnight pretty please?) but expect a 9pm opening.

You think that's funny.

My store was under by over 100k. We were 20k over the year prior and then they promptly raised our goal by like 130k and we made basically the same amount as we did the year before. Target fail.

They shouldn't open any earlier than midnight on Friday. They won't do that, though. It'll be 9pm again. There were petitions against Target and Walmart last year and people boycotted black Friday because of it. I don't think it's a good idea. TMs have to cut their Thanksgiving short. Some people end early enough that it works out, but still, they'll have going to work in the back of their minds all day. The store dies down about 2 hours into the whole thing and it looks like any other day. It's tough for those of us that aren't used to overnight shifts to try to stay awake when everything starts moving at a snail's pace with a T-day "coma!"

Are we allowed to request Thanksgiving off?

Sher, T-Day falls under the category of a "blackout date", as far as I am aware, as is basically the whole block of time from TDay through Christmas....

That said, I guess you COULD conceivably try to request it, though the likely reply will be that you get ignored at best, scolded, scoffed at or flat-out laughed at at worst...

Sher, if there's no way that you can work overnight, offer to close instead. I closed two years ago and it was a lot easier than working during the ungodly hours of the morning. The only reason I could do the overnight last year was because I was already working overnight on a regular basis at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back