BlueCross BlueShield card

Yes, we switched companies for the HRA and HSA options. You didn't notice when you confirmed your choices during open enrollment?

I did notice it. I was just forgot about United Healthcare going away. I thought maybe they were still involved somehow. Now with me turning 65 soon do I have more paperwork to fill out?

I did notice it. I was just forgot about United Healthcare going away. I thought maybe they were still involved somehow. Now with me turning 65 soon do I have more paperwork to fill out?
If you want to sign up for Medicare, yes. But I think if you're still working and covered by the employer's insurance plan, you don't have to enroll yet. Once you're no longer covered by your employer's plan (or a spouse's), you really don't want to wait. There's a permanent penalty in the form of higher premiums if you wait too long.

My dad's still employed (retiring this summer) and he & my mom have been prepping Medicare forms and scheduling social security appointments to be sure everything is ready to go and on track. My mom's been working on some of this for months. With turning 65 soon, it would be beneficial to you to figure out now what needs to be done and when, like Flow said, there are penalties to be aware of.

So keeping with United Healthcare would be the way to go until retirement? I’ll still be with Target until I’m 67 so it might benefit me to stay how it is now. Should I skip activating my new BlueCross BlueShield card? I’m really confused.

Last edited:
So keeping with United Healthcare would be the way to go until retirement? I’ll still be with Target until I’m 67 so it might benefit me to stay how it is now. Should I skip activating my new BlueCross BlueShield card? I’m really confused.

UnitedHealthcare isn't an option anymore. It is BCBS. The only plan that stayed the same is Surest (formerly Bind) which is administered by UnitedHealthcare. And they didn't allow new enrollees this time, only those who already had it.

If you got a new BCBS card, you are already signed up for that so it shouldn't need to be activated; it will be the card you use starting April 1st.

For reference on the retirement stuff, my dad will be 67 this fall so even though you have a couple years to go yet on retiring, it really will be beneficial to you to start looking into what steps you need to take to avoid penalties- my mom has said some things have to be done by a certain timeframe.

Back