Archived Body odor

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only people at a store who gets a pass for smelling is flow only if they didn't smell before starting work.

honestly so many people with bad odor don't even know because no one says shit to them and then they go to HR instead of telling them directly lmao...to this day if someone has bad pit smell next to me working for more than one day in a row I tell them about it and if its awkward so be it...worse if I gotta smell your pits...rather it be awkward haha but seriously even I have gone in to work knowing I wont smell great in 2 hours after I work truck or something and I make up for it by running through the deodorant aisle and spritzing myself a bit.

There is no way to have this convo without it being massively awkward. HR/management should at least be a bit better at phrasing things so as to be sensitive to potential medical issues that could cause BO. And, quite frankly, I don't get paid enough for those type of conversations, even if the TM would listen and not just blow me off for being a troll or a jerk. Also, if it is a medical issue, it's none of my damn business and and I really don't want to know and don't want to put someone in a position to feel like they have to tell me. Technically they don't have to tell HR/management, either, but if they need accommodation or something, then they will need to talk to HR/management anyway.

There is no way to have this convo without it being massively awkward. HR/management should at least be a bit better at phrasing things so as to be sensitive to potential medical issues that could cause BO. And, quite frankly, I don't get paid enough for those type of conversations, even if the TM would listen and not just blow me off for being a troll or a jerk. Also, if it is a medical issue, it's none of my damn business and and I really don't want to know and don't want to put someone in a position to feel like they have to tell me. Technically they don't have to tell HR/management, either, but if they need accommodation or something, then they will need to talk to HR/management anyway.

Fair points. As someone who knows they can actually bleed through their deodorant through pure sweat and hard work I would feel super embarrassed if no one talked to me before going to HR. I put on deodorant generously every morning but I do work up a sweat during flow or backroom duties. I've been told by fellow TMs about it in the past and have consciously changed how I work to avoid so much sweat and also bring a spare can of deodorant spray with me to work for a mid day cover up haha...

Like I said, though. Super fair to not feel like you should have to deal with someones's body odor personally. If it were someone new I didn't know I would absolutely not talk to them directly about it. Not trying to get talked to by HR about that. haha

I have a friend who is no longer with Target and he told that his mom was a cashier at Target before retiring. I guess she went to target.com and pretended to be a guest and then sent a message to HQ about a coworker who needed a bath. Sounds like the store got a copy of this message and was then talked to.

itsajob

Someone approached me at the lane and complained that they couldn't find themselves going through my smelly counterpart's lane on account of the strong odor and came to my lane instead. I felt soooooooo bad. I'm just politely apologizing but also don't want to act like I know about the smell myself and act surprised to learn this new information.

I didn't tell the GSA or GSTL because I feel bad.

Lol America is a hyper-clean culture. Its filth.
Spoken by a person who doesn't have a parent who immigrated from western europe and didn't get the spent s summers for 5 yrs in Germany with family. I am thankful that we are hyperclean. No one wants to smell people who smell like the compactor in Texas summer heat. Om the other had, stench can't offend me.

This being said, diet can have an effect as well, such as onions, curry and peppers.

On the flipside, I've heard (secondhand) that Americans smell like milk and cheese :p

Star, now that you've fielded a legitimate guest complaint about the other TM's odor, it sounds like the perfect opportunity to bring it up to your GSTL. Yes, it's uncomfortable to mention it. But this way you are relaying a guest concern, not making a personal statement about this person.

We have one girl that has the worst BO I’ve ever smelled but then we also have the ones that use so much body wash that you can taste it. I’m not sure which is worse.

One of the overnight girls came in yesterday for Bullseye's Playground re-do and I was working SCO.
Cute little thing, made sure to make eye contact as much as I could and smile.
But then she walked past me.
OMG no no no, your shift just started. Why you smell like that??? :(

Perhaps it was a European thing? Garlic smell, maybe?

To them, they wonder why everyone else doesn't smell that way. It's actually supposed to be a sign of good health - you're a garlic eater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back