Archived Bowling

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s extremely messy to bowl. The store looked like sh*t with boxes and trash cages everywhere. If the truck unload is done right the boats should be loaded by aisle and then by section, which is how our store does it. The TM starts at the beginning of the aisle and stocks as they pull the boat down the aisle. Boxes only have to be moved once. If the boats at your store are only loaded by aisle and you have section 5 on top of section 3 on top of section 6 then that’s on the unload team not loading the boats correctly.
That's whats makes it so inefficient and hard for logistics to grasp. If one is to be two to three steps away from the uboat and the location of pushed product, one needs to separate out the boxes into sections one sees in the aisle itself . Hell I did that at my old store prior to me transferring to the crap hole store I was at last. You know what, it actually worked and limited the number of touches albeit I prefer bowling out. With them lazily throwing boxes on to a uboat, one if they are lucky and do not have a mountain of boxes on the uboat already, take all the boxes off and sort them into sections that they need to be before pushing to the salesfloor. It does not help if the store does not have enough uboats or needlessly limits uboats to the point where you have 3 or more aisles on a single uboat. As someone who worked flow for years, worked the line, the truck, the backroom, then grocery, it frustrating to see the level of stupidity in doing something so simple to help the overall store but yet be more concerned about some silly timeline for logistics

Last edited:
It’s extremely messy to bowl. The store looked like sh*t with boxes and trash cages everywhere. If the truck unload is done right the boats should be loaded by aisle and then by section, which is how our store does it. The TM starts at the beginning of the aisle and stocks as they pull the boat down the aisle. Boxes only have to be moved once. If the boats at your store are only loaded by aisle and you have section 5 on top of section 3 on top of section 6 then that’s on the unload team not loading the boats correctly.
And your lead in time is what 8 hours?

That's whats makes it so inefficient and hard for logistics to grasp. If one is to be two to three steps away from the uboat and the location of pushed product, one needs to separate out the boxes into sections one sees in the aisle itself . Hell I did that at my old store prior to me transferring to the crap hole store I was at last. You know what, it actually worked and limited the number of touches albeit I prefer bowling out. With them lazily throwing boxes on to a uboat, one if they are lucky and do not have a mountain of boxes on the uboat already, take all the boxes off and sort them into sections that they need to be before pushing to the salesfloor. It does not help if the store does not have enough uboats or needlessly limits uboats to the point where you have 3 or more aisles on a single uboat. As someone who worked flow for years, worked the line, the truck, the backroom, then grocery, it frustrating to see the level of stupidity in doing something so simple to help the overall store but yet be more concerned about some silly timeline for logistics

Several of our flow TMs are long tentured employees so they sort extremely well. 4, 5, 6, 6 and 8 years most of which in our store alone. Except the TL who was at another store for 3 of those 6 years.

We probably have too many U Boats but it’s nice because the heaviest aisles have one U Boat per side. It seems to work well at our store.

And your lead in time is what 8 hours?

What are you referring to? How long it takes to push truck 100% each day? Offload of a 2K truck is 2 hours (6-8am). P1 is 3.5 hours (6:30-10). P2 is 4-6 hours (10-2/4) but the P2 team is a much smaller team and most of them are newer teenagers. Grocery is their own department so usually takes them most of the day to push it all. We only have 1 or 2 max in grocery to pull, push pulls, push truck and backstock 100% every day.

Your line must span the length of the store to have enough vehicles set up to do that for every area! I get one boat to cover 16 aisles in my section.

It’s a small line but you can fit 40 boats per side plus several on the outside for aisles with smaller counts. My backroom closer moves boats before he leaves based on the trucks forecast for the next day.

It’s a small line but you can fit 40 boats per side plus several on the outside for aisles with smaller counts. My backroom closer moves boats before he leaves based on the trucks forecast for the next day.

I do have to agree, the U-boats are a much better setup for the line. I remember having to set pallets back in the day and it took forever if the backroom was a mess (moving vehicles, etc.). So that's one win for modernization, I guess. (I did have one leader tell me recently how dumb the boats are when they're stacked too high and stuff falls off or you can't see in front of you...)

This is arguably one of the dumbest things I’ve heard on this website. I think we all can agree that bowling works better for us, but it’s awful for guests, there’s really no if’s and’s or but’s about that. Guests shouldn’t have to deal with boxes lined up all over the store when their shopping. Getting rid of bowling is probably the only element of Modernization that actually makes sense to me.
Well, yes, if it wasn't said with a heavy dose of sarcasm. Bowling works great before the store opens. Imho, guests shouldn't have to deal with u-boats blocking access to product or - gasp - blocking access to whole aisles.

Let the record reflect that allnew2’s store is certified most lit in the entire company, with 9,000 hours a month and an 🔥 OFF-SITE BACKROOM 🔥! As soon as I figure out where it’s @ I’m gonna transfer
9000 for a store that’s overnight isn’t that many hours... my last store was 60M and even in January we’d get 4000 a week

9000 for a store that’s overnight isn’t that many hours... my last store was 60M and even in January we’d get 4000 a week
Yes my store is overnight and yes it is more than 9000 hours also it’s a 90+ mil dollars store . Ahh i forgot to mention we have an off-site too.

Last edited:
Let the record reflect that allnew2’s store is certified most lit in the entire company, with 9,000 hours a month and an 🔥 OFF-SITE BACKROOM 🔥! As soon as I figure out where it’s @ I’m gonna transfer
I'm down to ride. Let's both go. 2300 this month...lol whew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back