Archived Break Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.
Front end people, what do you do with your break schedule? Does your GSTL/GSA hold it, is it posted in a central location? Just curious, we have started doing it differently.

We have a break schedule posted by the time clock, that everyone ignores. The GSTL/GSA carries around a break schedule for the cashiers, which they use everyday. But other than that no one pays attention to the sheet.

When we check in with our cashiers, we give them their breaks and restroom checks. If they have to check in with us to get their schedule, we have an opportunity to greet them, give them gloriously useful information for the day and, of course, remind them of the REDCard expections. ;)

Depending on which store I worked at, the break schedule/lane assignments were usually located at guest service, or a closed register. It would be a rare occasion if the GSTL/GSA toted it around.

At my store, we keep the schedule on one of the back registers that we never use. For a while, they also tried writing everyone's breaks on Post-It notes, because they felt like cashiers were congregating around the break schedule too much.

The GSTL or the GSA would have it at my store, or if they would all be on break, it would normally go to a service desk team member. It really did no good being posted, cart attendants can go on their lunch and breaks whenever, service desk can pretty much go whenever as long as they're covered. Cashiers had to wait for the person before them to come back from break or lunch to go on theirs, and you would only really kow it was your turn because someone would appear behind you to take your register over. Breaks and lunches are pretty much always late for the cashiers.

Both stores I've worked at stash it at an unused checklane. This is also gives the cashiers their lane assignments, in case they arrive when the GSTL is busy.

Unfortunately, I've worked with a few cashiers who think that the break schedule is etched in stone. God forbid you are scheduled for a break at 2:00 and don't get sent until 2:10...

Both stores I've worked at stash it at an unused checklane. This is also gives the cashiers their lane assignments, in case they arrive when the GSTL is busy.

Unfortunately, I've worked with a few cashiers who think that the break schedule is etched in stone. God forbid you are scheduled for a break at 2:00 and don't get sent until 2:10...

The only times when I would get mad about being late for a break or lunch was when my lunch would be pushing an hour late.

We write out break lists for a cashier breakers who give all the breaks. We don't post them as they often fall behind so then cashiers won't complain that their break is 10 minutes late because they don't really know what it is.

The only times when I would get mad about being late for a break or lunch was when my lunch would be pushing an hour late.
I agree with you. I often ask my gstl to let me stay on while a rush is happening, or take care of guests that are coming to my lane.

Last edited:
It's best to follow the break schedule exactly (for stores with higher numbers of cashiers anyway).

I would have a tm at 500 515 530 545, etc. if it was busy and we waited 20 minutes, it just gets worse later. So I'd always send people at their exact time (and instruct breakers to do the same)

One of our GSTLs keeps the schedule hidden (she must move it alot because we never seem to be able to find it) and the others leave it out by GS so we can see it. Some of our TLs/GSAs write down our "personal" schedule on a Post-it and then we try to follow the times....the lane assignments are written out, too. One GSTL is really a stickler for going at your scheduled times....just turn off your light and go....making sure that you have no guests in your lane.

The other three sometimes writes out our little Post-it note, but they also have the breakout schedule handy to see....this way we can see who we need to watch for before we go on our own breaks. Having the breakout sheet available then gives everyone a chance to have an idea of what's going on. Except for the one GSTL the others realize that we can't always go at our specific times....the break/lunch breakout is just a guideline, but we try to keep up as much as possible. Some days we're more successful than other days!

It's been almost a year, but it varied. One GSTL and one GSA would always carry it with them, but were great about letting people check their breaks. The other GSTL and GSA would leave it at the podium by photo. If I was working photo, I usually helped them stay on track with the break schedule - covering a lane if we were short, or reminding them of the time. Our GE hated having it at the podium, but if he wasn't around, no one cared.

Our GSTLs/GSAs were actually really good about letting people know when their breaks are. I think it's nice when you know when your time is, so you can pace yourself. At least I usually did. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back