Archived Buying online from Target.com while on the clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouldn't be done on the clock.

During your break or lunch, fine.

With that said... maybe no one will notice, but it's always safer not to play with fire and potentially jeopardize your livelihood. I can only imagine that if your ETL or store leadership found out that you were picking up orders that you made on the clock... it'd be a coaching or similar disciplinary action.

Why would you ever need to buy and pick up orders on the clock? If you're that lazy that you have to buy stuff on the clock just go grab it yourself and buy it... but honestly just wait til your 15. You can always do it like this:
First 15 please order
Lunch/Last 15 pick up order

I doubt you'll be termed for it but it definitely doesn't look good... probably just a coaching or CA though

okay or not okay? And if I choose in store pickup?

Doing personal shopping on-the-clock is not okay in any form. You are "on-the-clock" which means that you are getting paid to work. The only time that you can get paid and do personal shopping is during your 15 minute breaks.

Could TMs get termed for it?

Probably, since it is time theft. I can't recall at the top of my head what it says exactly in our Corrective Action guidelines (process varies depending on what you violated) but I can check when I return to work. That is, unless @HRZone has a shift today.

If you are in your probationary period and you get caught shopping on-the-clock, you can get termed immediately. Even if they don't immediately fire you, it will likely hurt your chances of being kept on.

Last edited:
Doing personal shopping on-the-clock is not okay in any form. You are "on-the-clock" which means that you are getting paid to work. The only time that you can get paid and do personal shopping is during your 15 minute breaks.

Probably, since it is time theft. I can't recall at the top of my head what it says exactly in our Corrective Action guidelines (process varies depending on what you violated) but I can check when I return to work. That is, unless @HRZone has a shift today.

If you are in your probationary period and you get caught shopping on-the-clock, you can get termed immediately. Even if they don't immediately fire you, it will likely hurt your chances of being kept on.
It can go either way depending on who does the write up. I've seen some people, who otherwise are great employees, get in trouble for shopping on the clock and only get a verbal warning. While I've seen some who have other issues, or the leader just doesn't like them, get termed for time theft. Really depends on who it is and how they want to spin it.

Those were instances where the people were actually physically seen shopping. Online shopping would probably be harder to prove. As AP I'm not cross-referencing online orders with work and break schedules of my employees. I have bigger fish to fry. But if someone wants to go through the trouble there are definitely ways to prove online shopping while on the clock.

Doing OPU at your store might be a bit risky if your not on break especially if your a well known TM. But I would play it safe and not order while working even it’s a quick order. Definitely not OPU because someone is having to work in your place to get the item. If there is no online benefit like a 15% sale or anything of the sort, I would just get the item on your breaks.

It's a terminable offense according to the purchasing guidelines however like @On6 said. Someone has to go through the trouble to catch you.

The purchasing guidelines say all shopping has to be done when you are off the clock, on a meal or on your break.

Doing OPU at your store might be a bit risky if your not on break especially if your a well known TM. But I would play it safe and not order while working even it’s a quick order. Definitely not OPU because someone is having to work in your place to get the item. If there is no online benefit like a 15% sale or anything of the sort, I would just get the item on your breaks.

What if I don't pick up the item until 1-2 days later? I don't need the item immediately.

Yes it’s same deal. Someone can still know it’s you ordering. If it’s not urgent, play it safe and order after work or on breaks.

If you get caught then just give them the sad puppy eyes and say with a quivering lip "b-but I'm giving your payroll $$ back anyway" and they'll be like "Ah, that is indeed quite the compelling and cogent point you make...carry on then my good sir/madam and fare you well" and you can then resume your shopping in good conscience

Could TMs get termed for it?

Possibly. Might depend on your previous job performance and how many times you've been coached before.

High-demand item.

Target will generally always prioritize making high-demand items available to guests rather than team members. Making a sale is important to Target, but just as important is putting guests first.

If you're potentially committing time theft just to score a highly sought-after item... I can't see it going well for you.

*shrug*

If you're doing OPU while on the clock and NOT on break, backroom is going to get your order and probably rat you out because that's bullshit. I know I'd be pissed if I had another order drop in the gun while I'm trying to fill 80 other orders just because you can't walk to the aisle and get your own whatever on your break.

if it's high demand, it likely isn't available for OPU anyway. also don't be a jerk, pick up your own shit and stop making more work for other team members

You have to follow your company/store guidelines on purchasing High Demand items. On floor / On line. You must give guests the allowed time to purchase items before you can purchase it.

If you pick it up at a different store, you have a better chance because you are considered a guest.

If you pick up a high demand item at your own store, it would be a good chance that your AP will investigate it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back