Archived By far the worst job i ever had...

How do you rate Traget. 0 Low - 5 High

Votes: 9 13.2%

Votes: 25 36.8%

Votes: 10 14.7%

Votes: 6 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The worst job I had was cashier at Kroger. Basically, same shit but way less perks and way more bullshit. I'm fortunate to work at a great Target store with a (mostly) great team. I have only a few complaints, but I could do much much worse. Although, I'm now getting moved up to GSA so I have a feeling I just haven't been jaded quite yet.

Best job: working at a mom & pop book store. I set up shipments for the owner's eBay book biz, helped people find just the right book and during slow times, I read books! I didn't get a paycheck though, I worked for store credit....I got paid in books. If I could afford it, I would go back there so fast....

The worst job I had was cashier at Kroger. Basically, same shit but way less perks and way more bullshit. I'm fortunate to work at a great Target store with a (mostly) great team. I have only a few complaints, but I could do much much worse. Although, I'm now getting moved up to GSA so I have a feeling I just haven't been jaded quite yet.

Best job: working at a mom & pop book store. I set up shipments for the owner's eBay book biz, helped people find just the right book and during slow times, I read books! I didn't get a paycheck though, I worked for store credit....I got paid in books. If I could afford it, I would go back there so fast....

If I could just live on words alone.

Store-side is so easy. The stuff we do DC-side can be beyond brutal. Especially in the summer. Working in a trailer that's well over 100 degrees with what feels like no circulation, moving anywhere from 400 to over 700 cartons, every hour, for twelve hours, all while trying to maintain Best Practice. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my job, but on nights like those, I'd quit and go back to dayside backroom without a second thought if I was offered.

Worst job would have to be Jcp. No raises for 4 out of the 5 years. And when they did it was 5 cents. And hours where a joke if you where under 23 and where pretty you got more hours and all days.

I also worked at Kroger. I don't remember it being that bad, but I wasn't a cashier. I remember them stressing about using too many bags. At least there was a union and you got paid weekly.

I getting a bit tired of seeing people always get away with things and complain about the work they have to do. People in the backroom are far the worst. They got it easy compared to being on floor. Plus they just can't seem to handle an item once. It has to be handle multiple times. I watched someone move a pallet 3 times before they was done with it. It was a nice face palm moment. Nothing is ever done right and alot of time is wasted. Like putting potatoes chip on the bottom of a pallet and putting boxed items on top. And stacking Gatorade on top of open packs of Gatorade. Very smart.
There's no way being on the floor is easy compared to Backroom. Sales Floor does what? Zone, Reshop and responds to backup? That's about it unless you're in a more specialized area.

Backroom deals with the backstock, bales, cardboard, autofills, CAF pulls, the FREEZER, heavy ass stuff no one else in the store would be caught lifting, pulling things for sales floor instead of them doing it themselves all while stopping their TIMED processes to assist when needed.

Both are very different jobs but to say being on floor is harder, is just a flat out life. BR does the grunt work, which is usually the hardest whereever you go.

No backroom is def easier than salesfloor trust me. At least in my lower volume store. I have done both and do Pfresh now and if I had to switch and had the choice it would be backroom all day

Salesfloor ALSO does the following

Working huddle...Freshness Friday, Working out apparel reshop or helping in shoes(ughhh)
Grab Carts from outside
Do the 4x4 walk
Cover speciliazed areas shifts like Electronics and Fitting room. One person can cover about an hour of electronics between a lunch and 2 breaks.
Grab call boxes where the guest is a pain or needs to know every detail about the product like you have used it in your personal life.
Carryouts, especially for summer stuff SUCK. Dont know how many idiots buy something and have a tiny car where the item just barely fits or wont fit at all...sigh.
Being dragged all over the store and running all over generally. There have been several times myself(in the past) or another TM now starts working on a CAF and an hour later is not even half way done with it.
Helping put up AD sundays because the AD team didnt finish on time. I have had to do this as a PA, sometimes past 9.

Last edited:
Store-side is so easy. The stuff we do DC-side can be beyond brutal. Especially in the summer. Working in a trailer that's well over 100 degrees with what feels like no circulation, moving anywhere from 400 to over 700 cartons, every hour, for twelve hours, all while trying to maintain Best Practice. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy my job, but on nights like those, I'd quit and go back to dayside backroom without a second thought if I was offered.

I dont doubt it...that sounds Brutal

I getting a bit tired of seeing people always get away with things and complain about the work they have to do. People in the backroom are far the worst. They got it easy compared to being on floor. Plus they just can't seem to handle an item once. It has to be handle multiple times. I watched someone move a pallet 3 times before they was done with it. It was a nice face palm moment. Nothing is ever done right and alot of time is wasted. Like putting potatoes chip on the bottom of a pallet and putting boxed items on top. And stacking Gatorade on top of open packs of Gatorade. Very smart.
There's no way being on the floor is easy compared to Backroom. Sales Floor does what? Zone, Reshop and responds to backup? That's about it unless you're in a more specialized area.

Backroom deals with the backstock, bales, cardboard, autofills, CAF pulls, the FREEZER, heavy ass stuff no one else in the store would be caught lifting, pulling things for sales floor instead of them doing it themselves all while stopping their TIMED processes to assist when needed.

Both are very different jobs but to say being on floor is harder, is just a flat out life. BR does the grunt work, which is usually the hardest whereever you go.

No backroom is def easier than salesfloor trust me. At least in my lower volume store. I have done both and do Pfresh now and if I had to switch and had the choice it would be backroom all day

Working huddle...Freshness Friday, Working out apparel reshop or helping in shoes(ughhh)
Grab Carts from outside
Do the 4x4 walk
Cover speciliazed areas shifts like Electronics and Fitting room. One person can cover about an hour of electronics between a lunch and 2 breaks.
Grab call boxes where the guest is a pain or needs to know every detail about the product like you have used it in your personal life.
Carryouts, especially for summer stuff SUCK. Dont know how many idiots buy something and have a tiny car where the item just barely fits or wont fit at all...sigh.
Being dragged all over the store and running all over generally. There have been several times myself(in the past) or another TM now starts working on a CAF and an hour later is not even half way done with it.
Helping put up AD sundays because the AD team didnt finish on time. I have had to do this as a PA, sometimes past 9.
Tbh, that stuff isn't really hard.
With those huddles, everyone is helping each other.
Salesfloor can run without pushing the CAFS because they just leave it for Flow anyway
Covering fitting room is mad easy, and electronics isn't that different from any other part of the store bar security.
Backroom also does carry outs and helps guest on the floor when traveling the store.
Backroom helps with the add before going to the backroom on Sundays.
Backroom also backstocks Pfresh's stuff that they never manage to finish.

I'm not saying that Salesfloor is mad easy, but it's a joke compared to Backroom.

And then there's Flow, which does everything backroom does and more. its a nightmare. we get no thanks and all the hours go to salesfloor :(

Grab Carts from outside
Do the 4x4 walk
Salesfloor can run without pushing the CAFS because they just leave it for Flow anyway
Covering fitting room is mad easy, and electronics isn't that different from any other part of the store bar security.
Backroom also does carry outs and helps guest on the floor when traveling the store.

I'm not saying that Salesfloor is mad easy, but it's a joke compared to Backroom.

And then there's Flow, which does everything backroom does and more. its a nightmare. we get no thanks and all the hours go to salesfloor :(

You have never worked a super busy fitting room. Even the best run screaming. And we he the opposite, our hours get cut all the time, cause flow has people in OT.

And come work In-Stocks in a high volume store, in my store we are the fix it or save the day crew. I spent two hours backstocking this morning cause flow couldn't get it done and backroom needed help. Did I get help scanning? Nope. But still got bitched at that I didn't scan the store. But all the back to school and the consumables got scanned and pushed.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm slowly burning out again too. Getting extra shit piled on, and when I don't finish everything myself, they always get grumpy -_- Good thing I'm getting slightly better hours at my IT job.

Grab Carts from outside
Do the 4x4 walk

Maybe its just your store that backroom is crazy with idk. Im sure there are alot of differences in all the stores in how their backroom is ran. All I know is DAYSIDE backroom has it super easy at my store. You never have to worry about actually backstocking everything you just do what you can and go home...probably never asked to stay late unless there is a TON of work to be done. Most of the items arent heavy at all. There are a few fillgroups that really suck but its not "hard" just time consuming. Most of the time only the TM in receiving makes a bale and on truck days(3 days) the flow tm who does cardboard does ALL the bales while they are there.

As far as flow goes, idk what your talking about. Flow team gets all the hours they could ever dream about and if they are behind on the truck they almost always have to stay later to finish it up. Lately we have had a few people scheduled later and if the truck is finished on time they go and help backstock.

Salesfloor USED to be about the same as backroom UNTIL they slashed all the hours, TL positions, and changed how things go. Less cashiers means more backup. Less help on the floor means more running around all over the store helping guests either on the phones or in person. I dont know how many times I am in Pfresh and I have to help in almost every other section in Hardlines because the guest cant find anyone else to help them. Then because I dont work the rest of hardlines stuff moves constantly because Target can never just leave stuff alone for a while so I always have to hunt down the new location

Its not uncommon for me to have to go up to backup cashier, then grab carts, backrup cahsier AGAIN, then grab baskets to fill on the floor before finally getting back to Pfresh. Some SF team members spend more than an hour backup cashiering in a shift, sometimes 30+ minutes straight all the while being pressured to have a great zone, do all their reshop, work all the CAFs, complete their 4x4 walk, get redcards while backing up...hell of a lot more stressful doing everything than being in the backroom IMO

And I have done flexible fufillment. It sucks a big one. We usually dont get too many a day though so its not that much of an issue. I actually find working a straight 8 hour shift in backroom really boring

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back