Bye Bye Receivers

How many times does Target eliminate positions and then bring them back when they remember why the position was needed?

This is just a way to get rid of the receivers who have been with the company forever, and then bring the position back later for a lot less pay.

How many times does Target eliminate positions and then bring them back when they remember why the position was needed?

This is just a way to get rid of the receivers who have been with the company forever, and then bring the position back later for a lot less pay.
😆 I thought the SAME thing the other day when I heard the word INSTOCkS used ! I feel that the inbound TL may gain an ‘in stocks’ team - to pull and push OOS batches - since he lost salesfloor depts.

On greenfield, you could see the annual payout for each TM which after some configuring, the TM hourly pay.
From what I could research, majority of long time receivers were paid at least $21. Receivers hired at Target in recent years were getting the base pay.

On greenfield, you could see the annual payout for each TM which after some configuring, the TM hourly pay.
From what I could research, majority of long time receivers were paid at least $21. Receivers hired at Target in recent years were getting the base pay.
Is that looking at company-wide numbers or just your district? $21 is a lot, even for long-time TMs. I know several who have been with Target more than 20 years and still don't make much more over base for the area.

Is that looking at company-wide numbers or just your district? $21 is a lot, even for long-time TMs. I know several who have been with Target more than 20 years and still don't make much more over base for the area.
One of my receivers makes 22 been with the company 19 years.

One of my receivers makes 22 been with the company 19 years.
Multiple TMs at my store have been there since it was built, over 20 years ago, and none of them make even 17. It's not a high CoL area though, so maybe that's why. The more you make, the larger the raise.. which is probably why they're keeping the same percentages as last year for TMs instead of bringing it back up to what it was from the years prior.

Multiple TMs at my store have been there since it was built, over 20 years ago, and none of them make even 17. It's not a high CoL area though, so maybe that's why. The more you make, the larger the raise.. which is probably why they're keeping the same percentages as last year for TMs instead of bringing it back up to what it was from the years prior.
Could be . Regular team members is at 17 minimum wage. Tl starts at 24.50

Years ago when I was a backroom TL making $17. I gave the receiver his review and he was making $21. At the time. Had been with Target a long time and ALWAYS got the highest rating each review.

It's still 15 here, TLs at 22.50.
Could be . Regular team members is at 17 minimum wage. Tl starts at 24.50
Starting TM base pay is $15. TL starting base pay $19, maybe $21. Depending on store volume, it could be high as $24.50 for TL. The two highest store in my group make $24.50 but the small formats make $21 in the group.
Region-wide. I looked at company wide but it would’ve taken me too long to check every store. I looked at random stores ones in each region and it looked like nearly the same results as R200.

Last edited:
Starting TM base pay is $15. TL starting base pay $19, maybe $21. Depending on store volume, it could be high as $24.50 for TL. The two highest store in my group make $24.50 but the small formats make $21 in the group.
Do you happen to know the cap on TM pay with $15 as the base?

So back to this freaking pilot. I talked to my ETL asking how certain things will work and they said "I'm not sure about that, I guess we'll see how it goes and decide from there." So I have the utmost confidence that this pilot will go fantastically and it will revolutionize the way Target does things going forward and that no issues will ever arise from this and if there are issues it is because the TMs aren't committed to making it work and is no way a reflection on the deep flaws that come from how this pilot is designed.

As I wrangled 8 pallets of Coke into the backroom of my high volume Super Target while the 2nd truck was unloading and I was auditing the load all I could think was "how are these market team members going to do this?" Every day is different and even with years of experience managing freight in a chaotic backroom it is a challenge for me at times. But because I have that experience and dont have to rush off to work the market load I am able to efficiently get the load in and driver off to his next stop fairly quickly. In a perfect world this new process would still be difficult and it is far from perfect in Targets world. And we know Target does not welcome honest feedback.

This will fall flat on its face.

Without our receiver MIRs would go unworked, ESIM would be a dumpster fire, shit from UPS/FedEx would go unchecked in. Also lol at our market TMs correctly auditing the ADSD when the system flags it.

Maybe they could get away with it in ULV stores. But anywhere else? Forget it. There's simply too much going on for the position to be eliminated.

This will fall flat on its face.

Without our receiver MIRs would go unworked, ESIM would be a dumpster fire, shit from UPS/FedEx would go unchecked in. Also lol at our market TMs correctly auditing the ADSD when the system flags it.

Maybe they could get away with it in ULV stores. But anywhere else? Forget it. There's simply too much going on for the position to be eliminated.
Well, the one thing is that Receivers will still have 3-4 hours a day in receiving before they are shifted over to some other department. So I'll have time in the morning to at least get the IRs worked and the ESIM sorted but after that point is when the disaster starts. My biggest worry is the UPS/Fedex deliveries and touching base with all the non-food vendors who come in later in the morning/early afternoon. I am not looking forward to the fires I am going to have to put out and try to fix after the fact.

I was notified last week that one of our stores pilot programs involves eliminating the receiver's position and making the f/b team responsible for receiving vendors. The receiver still gets 3 hours a day to do reverse logistics. The rest of his/her day is spent as gm or inbound.
I was wondering how has it been going?

I was wondering how has it been going?
Not great... so much wasted time across the board. Pulling market, SFS, random TMs and multiple TLs away from what they are doing and then pulling me away from what I am doing to show people how to do my job. Things are getting missed already, I'm waiting for all the mistakes that I didn't catch to reveal themselves. So much wasted time for my vendors having to wait to be let in, tracking someone to let them out, and then wait to be let in again. Target really knocked it out of the park with this one.

Not great... so much wasted time across the board. Pulling market, SFS, random TMs and multiple TLs away from what they are doing and then pulling me away from what I am doing to show people how to do my job. Things are getting missed already, I'm waiting for all the mistakes that I didn't catch to reveal themselves. So much wasted time for my vendors having to wait to be let in, tracking someone to let them out, and then wait to be let in again. Target really knocked it out of the park with this one.
I'm always trying to managed what I call "my receiving space." We're always rolling trucks so there's stuff in front of vendors backstock. Style shares the other end and they have 2 tiers and uboats that is at the other end. Just trying to get today's vendor pallets in the same time trying to pallets of stuff to go back on the sweep. Is this an issue for you??
What do they have you doing when you'
re not checking vendors

So back to this freaking pilot. I talked to my ETL asking how certain things will work and they said "I'm not sure about that, I guess we'll see how it goes and decide from there." So I have the utmost confidence that this pilot will go fantastically and it will revolutionize the way Target does things going forward and that no issues will ever arise from this and if there are issues it is because the TMs aren't committed to making it work and is no way a reflection on the deep flaws that come from how this pilot is designed.
The problem with pilots is that the stores doing them want to seem optimistic and positive and supportive of change. I have personally seen sd stretch the truth to make pilots seem successful to impress hq. Even when not fully rolling it out in their store.

Last edited:
I'm always trying to managed what I call "my receiving space." We're always rolling trucks so there's stuff in front of vendors backstock. Style shares the other end and they have 2 tiers and uboats that is at the other end. Just trying to get today's vendor pallets in the same time trying to pallets of stuff to go back on the sweep. Is this an issue for you??
What do they have you doing when you'
re not checking vendors
I am really lucky at my store with the set up of my receiving area, all of my vendors can get their stuff in because it is a straight shot from the bay to their space for pallets. I never have to break the line for deliveries other than our grocery truck, and we very rarely roll over a truck so I have plenty of space to move things around once they are done. Loading a sweep isn't hard because where we put stuff up in the steel can't be blocked off with pallets because it is the main path in our back room.

I'll be rotating around when it comes to what I'm doing when I'm not in receiving, but so far I've been pulling different OFOs. I'll get tossed into plano once the bigger resets start. Probably will end up in SFS at some point as well if they need me bad enough. It is just rough because I'm trying to cram work that can take me an entire shift into 3 hours each morning and I've just had to choose which stuff I'm going to ignore because I don't have time to do it all and my receiving area is already looking a bit shabby. I already have stuff that isn't being communicated to vendors because no one is back there who knows these vendors need to be told things.

I have more vendors numbers in my phone than people I know outside of work. I'm the one who my boss logs in to go cart to order everything from bale wire to trash bags to gloves for the team. Delivering packages, receiving packages, checking in packages of dsd items. I could go on forever about the many little things
I do every day that add up to a lot. And when I say "I" mean the receiver as a role. A vital role in keeping that backroom running smoothly and efficiently. I partner with multiple teams and leads daily to communicate in a variety of ways to keep things flowing. I have a solid partnership with my CTL and ETL food and our vendors. I keep tabs on merchandisers and know which ones need to be watched more carefully and which ones are good workers who don't need a baby sitter. I'm the one on the phone calling PRS because the NECA vendor hasn't come in in weeks. I palletize the American greetings when it mothers day or valentines day. My vendors know my schedule and plan their routes accordingly. I'm more proud of the relationships I've created over time with all these people than I'll ever be of how well I can clean up after literally everyone and how well I can load a stupid sweep. We do team lead stuff for team member pay and now someone who obviously does not understand the depth of what we do on a daily basis that is not in our "core role" has decided we are no longer a valued part of the team. It's bs to be perfectly honest.

I have more vendors numbers in my phone than people I know outside of work. I'm the one who my boss logs in to go cart to order everything from bale wire to trash bags to gloves for the team. Delivering packages, receiving packages, checking in packages of dsd items. I could go on forever about the many little things
I do every day that add up to a lot. And when I say "I" mean the receiver as a role. A vital role in keeping that backroom running smoothly and efficiently. I partner with multiple teams and leads daily to communicate in a variety of ways to keep things flowing. I have a solid partnership with my CTL and ETL food and our vendors. I keep tabs on merchandisers and know which ones need to be watched more carefully and which ones are good workers who don't need a baby sitter. I'm the one on the phone calling PRS because the NECA vendor hasn't come in in weeks. I palletize the American greetings when it mothers day or valentines day. My vendors know my schedule and plan their routes accordingly. I'm more proud of the relationships I've created over time with all these people than I'll ever be of how well I can clean up after literally everyone and how well I can load a stupid sweep. We do team lead stuff for team member pay and now someone who obviously does not understand the depth of what we do on a daily basis that is not in our "core role" has decided we are no longer a valued part of the team. It's bs to be perfectly honest.
Thank you. I managed receiving very very much the way you do. You expressed the fine details of what we do to keep merchandise flowing from the back door to the floor to the cash register.

Back