Archived C’mon Spot, Let’s Go Green!

Status
Not open for further replies.

L4D

I love how Target is so progressive and eco friendly but then we don’t even have recycle bins at TSC or in the break room. When I ask anybody about it, nobody knows or cares.

I know there are pallets in the back for plastic but I’ve always wondered if the custodians actually separate the recycle from the front of the store or if it all just goes into the compactor. Is it all for the dog and pony show or do we actually have a process in place?

I know we just started the more Earth-friendly brand Ever Spring and it launches next week, but it would be nice to have more brands and products to choose from like reusable utensils, dishes, trash bags, etc.

With the threat of the climate crisis being irreversible after 2030 (and let’s be honest, that’s a generous estimation) it’s going to take effort of the corporations who are doing the most damage to really see a change in reversing the negative effects and I can’t be the only one who feels this way or cares about our environment. I am vigilant about the four R’s (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rihanna) but individuals can only do so much.

Surprising there aren't recycling bins at your store. I think we have three - front doors, break room, receiving.

We got in some 80% post-consumer recycled bags for the registers a while back, but we must've only gotten one shipment of them in and then they were gone. Haven't received any more. I wish we would, those bags were actually nicer than the regular ones.

We have a recycling bin in our break room, but it doesn't matter since people put whatever in it without realizing it's either contaminated or a plastic that isn't actually recyclable.

I love how Target is so progressive and eco friendly but then we don’t even have recycle bins at TSC or in the break room. When I ask anybody about it, nobody knows or cares.

I know there are pallets in the back for plastic but I’ve always wondered if the custodians actually separate the recycle from the front of the store or if it all just goes into the compactor. Is it all for the dog and pony show or do we actually have a process in place?

I know we just started the more Earth-friendly brand Ever Spring and it launches next week, but it would be nice to have more brands and products to choose from like reusable utensils, dishes, trash bags, etc.

With the threat of the climate crisis being irreversible after 2030 (and let’s be honest, that’s a generous estimation) it’s going to take effort of the corporations who are doing the most damage to really see a change in reversing the negative effects and I can’t be the only one who feels this way or cares about our environment. I am vigilant about the four R’s (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, Rihanna) but individuals can only do so much.

Don't talk about going green unless you're willing to make the ultimate sacrifice.

We have a recycling bins at the front for e-recycling, plastic bags, and paper waste. Guests often do not pay adequate attention and the contents of the bag and paper bins end up having to go trash because of intermingling and food waste being dumped in them. We also have one bin in the TSC that's more like a home the hanger bin but green. No idea what we have in the back room.

I learned quite a bit about recycling and sustsinability while in college. Unfortunately since China is no longer accepting the majority of US recycling, if the recycking container is more than about 5% contaminated, the collection companies won't pick it up on the recycle route. The business will instead be fined and it will be collected on the trash pick up. With so many people not knowing how to recycle properly, it saves Target money by throwing it all in the trash. I don't agree with it, but I understand the reasoning.

While on this topic also, any type of garbage (such as styrofoam) that is mixed in with the cardboard or plastic bags could result in the entire batch ending up in the landfill. Plastic bags should be strictly plastic bags and cardboard should be strictly cardboard.

My store has TM recycling, and I know for a fact that it actually gets recycled. Target gets money for recycling, so your leadership is being extremely foolish for not actually executing it.

My store has TM recycling, and I know for a fact that it actually gets recycled. Target gets money for recycling, so your leadership is being extremely foolish for not actually executing it.
Do you mean in addition to the bales and plastic we send on the sweep and get money for?

We have a lot of recycling bins. Everything gets tossed into the compactor with the trash.

Like everyone else we have recycling bins, but it all ends up in the compactor so I don’t get the point other than ApPeArAnCeS

We had recycling bins in our breakroom before we got remodeled, but not after. We also had one next to the hanger bin at the front lanes. That one was given to the back room. So now, there are only two recycling bins left. One in front of the GS desk, and one behind the desk.

We didn't have a good recycling program at my store too. The only thing we were recycling at that point were bags and cardboard. I partnered with our PMT and we added recycling bins in the breakroom and receiving. We got Starbucks involved and had them recycle their milk jugs. Unfortunately when it comes to the breakroom it's still a struggle to have tms recycle properly.

Welp just found out all the recycle from the front bins goes straight into the compactor.

I guess I can’t be surprised but it is disheartening.
You think the average shopper at Target can tell the difference between all the recycle types? Just one or two people not caring can contaminate the whole thing. If that happens most of the time, in the end it just gets wasted, and wasted money for everybody involved if it 90% of the time ends up in the trash anyways. It’s just incredibly stupid to recycle it if it never can be recycled anyways

recycling centers already count on people not being able to read signs so they have either machines or people to sort the trash and separate it by type

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back