Archived CA minimum wage increase to $10

Status
Not open for further replies.
California is increasing the minimum wage to $10 starting January 2016. I'm wondering if there will be a reduction of staff, hours, or if it will be absorbed and prices increased locally, or nationally to pay for it? Any thoughts?

Minimum wage

I expect to get a cut in hours. I'm not too worried about being laid off, but I see that as being a huge possibility. They probably won't keep any of their season staff when January roles around. So a cut in hours seems like the most logical. Which means we'll probably make the exact amount of money as normal anyway. Oh well...more free time for other exploits I guess.

When Target raised its starting wage to $9, hours were cut. So while most employees were making more money per hour, their take home pay remained pretty much the same as before the wage increase.

Our ETL-HR just told us that effective 10/27, everyone under $10 will be bumped up to $10/hr. Yay. Not even a month in and I get a "raise". I thought I'd be waiting until next for this.

I'm actually pretty down for a cut in hours that results in basically the same amount of pay, I need more time for anime and sleeping. Maybe school.

I expect to get a cut in hours. I'm not too worried about being laid off, but I see that as being a huge possibility. They probably won't keep any of their season staff when January roles around. So a cut in hours seems like the most logical. Which means we'll probably make the exact amount of money as normal anyway. Oh well...more free time for other exploits I guess.
Dude, come on that isn't how it works, they already have you working the least amount of hours possible to get the job done, think about it you aren't salaried so they don't have you there to just hang out, they have you there for those hours so that you can do the job, as long as there is work to be done they need the workers there to do it, minimum wage does not affect the workload, that is some republican bullshit myth.

Lol.
Dude, this is Target & that's EXACTLY how it works.
Just read all the threads about hour cuts & pressure to do your job in a fraction of the time needed. Read about TMs' frustration that they CAN'T get their job done because of cuts to payroll.
The flipside is fewer hours keep more TMs below the threshold to qualify for benefits so it's a win-win for Spot.
The last three years NO ONE below TL was ever hired as 'full-time' but are expected to have wide-open availability so presumably TMs desperate for hours would come in whenever called (so much for work-life balance).
Because few TMs get 'set schedules', it also hinders many from picking up a second job (~25% of the TMs in my store) because of the constantly-changing hours.

Woo.. I just checked my pay statement online and that $10 increase took effect for the entire 2 weeks of this pay period! I was expecting 10/27, so this was a nice surprise.

Kinda sucks that TMs that have been there over a year and I'll be making the same as them and I'm barely on my fourth week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back