Archived Calling in because of weather...

Status
Not open for further replies.

band_rules16

Former Wave Master
I've never had to do this previously, but they're forecasting a foot of snow for this weekend. I'm supposed to be attending an event that's out of town Saturday, but scheduled to work Sunday. I thought I'd make it back, but now I'm having serious doubts. (Heck, if I was in town, I wouldn't want to drive in a foot of snow.)

Thoughts? I'd hate to miss the event, since it's a reunion, and there will be people I haven't seen in years there...and I'd hate to miss it for Target.

(Side note: Yes, the shift is up on the swap board. Maybe I'll get lucky, but I don't know...)

Just call in. You have no control of the weather. If someone questions you about putting it in the swap book, just state you were being proactive due to the weather forecast.

If it were me, I would talk to my TL now about it. I'd let them know that I have an out of town event Saturday (ps, I'm assuming either that you requested time off for this or Saturday is outside your regular availability?) and had initially expected to be back in time for a Sunday shift, but that the current forecast makes that questionable.

If it were me, I would talk to my TL now about it. I'd let them know that I have an out of town event Saturday (ps, I'm assuming either that you requested time off for this or Saturday is outside your regular availability?) and had initially expected to be back in time for a Sunday shift, but that the current forecast makes that questionable.
This for sure - even if you didn't request off or don't normally work saturdays, if you didn't have a shift saturday, you are completely able to do whatever you want that Saturday. It's not gonna be your fault if the weather makes it hard to come back, because the same thing would've happened even if you didn't go. I think they'll understand, but make sure you stress you will "try your best" to make it, but just as a precaution you are warning you might call out.

Thanks everyone. I did request Saturday off, didn't think I needed Sunday - figuring the crazy amounts of snow were going to taper off eventually. (Wishful thinking.) I haven't fully decided what's happening yet (and there's a possibility this thing will get postponed), but I'll let them know as soon as I know.

They postponed Saturday's event, which is fine by me. Looked for a shift on Kronos and there is noooooooooothing. So I'm gonna watch the snow fall, edit my novel, and enjoy not being at work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back