Archived Calling Out: Guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of a vent, sort of looking for reassurance: I only callout when I'm sick. In over 2-years in SL (now Shoe tm) I always am in and ready to work. Tomorrow will be the first time I call out. No lying I'm sick, or using any reason. But there IS a reason, of course...HR keep screwing me in the scheduling. I've worked up to 9- days straight on three occasions and when you specialize you feel every minute you dont get a break. I'm not paid more, I'm not in line to be promoted. There is basically no reason I should feel bad to get a day to just fucking breath! But...holidays, short staff, cranky stl, ect...not to mention I love my srTL...I am agonizing over my choice. And it's not even like my department will be worse off. When I do have a scheduled off day, they NEVER give Shoes coverage. HR etl just shrugs my complaints like she has no part in the scheduling. (HR does ALL the scheduling.) I've even had truck left for me, to spill into the next one. I guess my need to be a "good tm" is fighting with my need to stay sane, but I feel pushed to do this. *sigh* thank you for reading. Anyone else relate? thoughts?

Sort of a vent, sort of looking for reassurance: I only callout when I'm sick. In over 2-years in SL (now Shoe tm) I always am in and ready to work. Tomorrow will be the first time I call out. No lying I'm sick, or using any reason. But there IS a reason, of course...HR keep screwing me in the scheduling. I've worked up to 9- days straight on three occasions and when you specialize you feel every minute you dont get a break. I'm not paid more, I'm not in line to be promoted. There is basically no reason I should feel bad to get a day to just fucking breath! But...holidays, short staff, cranky stl, ect...not to mention I love my srTL...I am agonizing over my choice. And it's not even like my department will be worse off. When I do have a scheduled off day, they NEVER give Shoes coverage. HR etl just shrugs my complaints like she has no part in the scheduling. (HR does ALL the scheduling.) I've even had truck left for me, to spill into the next one. I guess my need to be a "good tm" is fighting with my need to stay sane, but I feel pushed to do this. *sigh* thank you for reading. Anyone else relate? thoughts?
Every now and then we need that mental health break. Play hookey from work and breathe.

Of course, we related! I called out last week. Kinda the same thing....6 days straight of work. As a retired worker, that type of scheduling really isn't what works best for me. This time, no guilt. I honestly think I am over the concern because the company has cut front end hours so much. It's clear to me that the idea we are valued is untrue. So, I can relax and do what's best for me.

It allowed me a 3 day break heading into Black Friday. My house is spotless. I've got food cooked and in the freezer. I'm recharged!

Business is different from earlier decades. Loyalty to employees and vice versa has broken down. As that relationship went out the door, do should the guilt.

Take care of yourself. If they get mad, they get mad. You can't control being sick. Offer to stay later to help get caught up.

OP is not sick. Calling out because OP is tired. Mental health is important. It will still count against you. Why are you talking to HR about writing your schedule? At my store my SRTL or ETL writes the schedule for my workcenter. Talk to them maybe

Brother, sister, I've called out way more than just once in two years because of what you said... I'm not paid enough for the work I do, I bust my ass off for less than $100 a day for eight hours, my nose felt a little runny, etc...
Just remember, everyone else calls in for their shifts with zero regard for their co-workers and leaders, so it's good you have some regard to them, but seriously don't worry about it, you're sick, take a day.

I also had a truck left for me just a few days ago and my ETL-Food basically agreed with me "Just do what you can" and I ended up staying a little later to help my closing TM and we finished freight together.

In a job where we only get paid $12.00/hr with absolutely zero over-time and average benefits, it's not worth it, take a day, take a few days off, just don't worry about it too much. I've taken days off from Target to stay home and work on my businesses and projects. One time I called out a few months ago because I detail cars professionally at my business, I made almost $800 for seven hours of work, three cars. I have a few other projects I'm working on to extend some sort of profit. I'm still stuck at Target, as it is winter in MN and I can't detail in the winter because it's too cold. I be my own boss for seven hours and made $800, and then I go work for a corporation who made it's fortune decades ago and barely make $90 after tax and benefits in eight and a half hours.

Normally I'm generally not for calling out unless you really need it, but if your schedulers aren't taking into account the need for TMs to have a day off, then fuck 'em.

For the future, maybe start putting in time off requests each week so you can maybe get a day off?

Tbh its a high school job not a career. If you dont respect yourself enough to know when you need a break you need to reevaluate where you want to be in life. Over a decade at spot has taught me much the least of which being that spot will never ever care about you. Period. You are a flea on their back and when the other fleas stop chewing you will be the next to be covered in pesticide and flicked off.

Retail jobs are and never will be worth more than a minor paycheck dont waste time killing yourself for companies who quite frankly would use your corps to raise themzelves higher for a good head pat from the shareholders.

Respect your needs and do what you need to stay healthy enough to make your way in life

I think it's best to be honest and just let your LOD know you need a mental health day. The next time you go in talk with your LOD/ETL again and explain what schedule issues are making it so hard for you.

I used to feel guilty about it, especially because I know how bad the front end coverage is at my store. About a year ago, my county passed an ordinance requiring that all part time workers earn sick pay. I no longer feel guilty about occasionally taking a mental health day and using up some of that paid time off.

Mental health day, LOL. I call that my day off.
drinkbeer.gif

Tbh its a high school job not a career. If you dont respect yourself enough to know when you need a break you need to reevaluate where you want to be in life. Over a decade at spot has taught me much the least of which being that spot will never ever care about you. Period. You are a flea on their back and when the other fleas stop chewing you will be the next to be covered in pesticide and flicked off.

Retail jobs are and never will be worth more than a minor paycheck dont waste time killing yourself for companies who quite frankly would use your corps to raise themzelves higher for a good head pat from the shareholders.

Respect your needs and do what you need to stay healthy enough to make your way in life
Sad but true. Best description of working retail ever! 😁

I think it's best to be honest and just let your LOD know you need a mental health day. The next time you go in talk with your LOD/ETL again and explain what schedule issues are making it so hard for you.

But if you don't call in sick you can't request sick hours anymore. Unless you have personal time or intend to use vacation hours.

Also, unless it's a state by state thing I thought that they aren't supposed to schedule more than 6 days in a row. I don't know where that info can be found but a call to HROC would answer the question.

Last edited:
9 days is not that big of a deal . I’ve done 13 because on the 14th day they would have to pay triple

APANTS? All People Are Not The Same... ;) What seems not a lot to you is ridiculous to me. Most I've worked straight is 11 days and that isn't atypical for me. Truthfully it is illegal in my state for someone not under contract (minimum wage employees) to work 7 days straight in the same work week. Of course to get around that they can break it over two work weeks (thus your 13 days). I didn't even know 14 was possible without getting in trouble with the PTB. Of course you are probably not in the same state I'm in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back