Archived Calling Out: Guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
APANTS? All People Are Not The Same... ;) What seems not a lot to you is ridiculous to me. Most I've worked straight is 11 days and that isn't atypical for me. Truthfully it is illegal in my state for someone not under contract (minimum wage employees) to work 7 days straight in the same work week. Of course to get around that they can break it over two work weeks (thus your 13 days). I didn't even know 14 was possible without getting in trouble with the PTB. Of course you are probably not in the same state I'm in.
If there’s any way around labor laws, Spot seems to find it...🙄😂

APANTS? All People Are Not The Same... ;) What seems not a lot to you is ridiculous to me. Most I've worked straight is 11 days and that isn't atypical for me. Truthfully it is illegal in my state for someone not under contract (minimum wage employees) to work 7 days straight in the same work week. Of course to get around that they can break it over two work weeks (thus your 13 days). I didn't even know 14 was possible without getting in trouble with the PTB. Of course you are probably not in the same state I'm in.
I’m in SoCal. But that’s why after 13 days they gave me 14 off

But if you don't call in sick you can't request sick hours anymore. Unless you have personal time or intend to use vacation hours.

Also, unless it's a state by state thing I thought that they aren't supposed to schedule more than 6 days in a row. I don't know where that info can be found but a call to HROC would answer the question.

There shouldn't be an issue with using sick hours for mental health days. We did it at my store but ASANTS. When TMs called out at my store we generally didn't record why in our closing notes, so TMs could call out for any reason and still use sick pay. None of the ETLs I've met actually care if you use your sick pay or vacation pay. I knew of 1 HRTM that would care, but the team just learned to avoid her. As an LOD I preferred when TMs were honest with me rather than lying just to get out of a shift. It makes you look bad to call out sick and then someone has you on snapchat showing otherwise (hella TMs are quick to rat out other TMs).

There shouldn't be an issue with using sick hours for mental health days. We did it at my store but ASANTS. When TMs called out at my store we generally didn't record why in our closing notes, so TMs could call out for any reason and still use sick pay. None of the ETLs I've met actually care if you use your sick pay or vacation pay. I knew of 1 HRTM that would care, but the team just learned to avoid her. As an LOD I preferred when TMs were honest with me rather than lying just to get out of a shift. It makes you look bad to call out sick and then someone has you on snapchat showing otherwise (hella TMs are quick to rat out other TMs).

Very true. Knowing your store and hrtms is key to getting the sick pay. Ours are pretty liberal but our HR etl is more by the book. And your point of a mental health day should be considered a sick day is a good one. A lod might hear it as I don't wanna come in, though, so I'd be careful calling out with it and maybe only bringing it up to your tl or etl or hr. This is definitely an asants/ymmv situation.

Tbh its a high school job not a career. If you dont respect yourself enough to know when you need a break you need to reevaluate where you want to be in life. Over a decade at spot has taught me much the least of which being that spot will never ever care about you. Period. You are a flea on their back and when the other fleas stop chewing you will be the next to be covered in pesticide and flicked off.

Retail jobs are and never will be worth more than a minor paycheck dont waste time killing yourself for companies who quite frankly would use your corps to raise themzelves higher for a good head pat from the shareholders.

Respect your needs and do what you need to stay healthy enough to make your way in life
Yup. Was like that my first few years. Worked really hard, cared too much, didn't really get anywhere. Now I just don't give a flying @#$%! I do enough to get by and nothing more. Target will never get my all again. 70% is the most they'll get lol. Which sadly is better than a lot of my co-workers give them :D

Also, unless it's a state by state thing I thought that they aren't supposed to schedule more than 6 days in a row. I don't know where that info can be found but a call to HROC would answer the question.

It might have something to do with OT laws in some states. In Cali, you can't schedule people for 7 days in a row in the same work week without paying them OT on the 7th day. Sadly, there are ways for the scheduler to get around that since the key word is work week.

I, personally, think that TMs should have at least 1-2 days off each work week so that they don't burn out. Unless a TM is okay with more days, it seems unethical to schedule them 7+ work days in a row with no rest day.

Last edited:
In Cali, you can't schedule people for 7 days in a row in the same work week without paying them OT on the 7th day. Sadly, there are ways for the scheduler to get around that since the key word is work week.

Can tesify to that as a Cali TM and I’ve had many times I’ve worked 9 days in a row, but I technically worked 6 days because every new work week restarts on Sunday, so that doesn’t qualify me for 7 day OT. It sucks, but that is getting my bills and rent paid

Illinois also has a "one day in seven" law, but it goes by calendar week, defined as Sunday to Saturday. And if you volunteer to add a shift on that 7th day, it's exempt from this law So you can legally be scheduled Monday through Saturday one week and Sunday through Friday the next, which would be 12 straight. There's no way someone in Illinois could legally be scheduled 13 in a row under this law without picking up a shift, either through Kronos/swap board or a last minute call-in.

Thanks, everyone! Made me feel better about my priorities.

I did get told I would be talked to, but I think holiday shit takes all focus. I dont care if they do or dont, really. My srTL said right off she wasn't upset with me.

Bad news is...two weeks out, and they did it again! Me speaking to HR has not helped. Went to my srTL and she's taking it up with them. At this point it's in the air, but I won't call out again. Truck didn't get done, we are in full holiday mode, f---k it! But I need my team to support me, so I dont take it all alone. That's all I can hope.

Ironic: I'm leaving in the new year. No one in management knows yet, and I didn't want to say too soon or have them treat me badly. Ive seen it happen. Yet, feels like I'm being pushed to leave. ugh.

I did get told I would be talked to

Jkz3WYD.gif

As of this week, my district has a rule that you can only call out 3 times a year withouta doctor's note...yikes.

But I did 9 days on, 1 day off, 11 days on once. On my way to work on day 11 of that second round, I got into a car accident. To be fair, I picked up shifts and did that schedule to myself.

But yeah, don't let them overwork you. Talk to them about it if you can't handle that many shifts in a row, or ask a coworker if they're willing to swap a few shifts.

Thanks, everyone! Made me feel better about my priorities.

I did get told I would be talked to, but I think holiday shit takes all focus. I dont care if they do or dont, really. My srTL said right off she wasn't upset with me.

Bad news is...two weeks out, and they did it again! Me speaking to HR has not helped. Went to my srTL and she's taking it up with them. At this point it's in the air, but I won't call out again. Truck didn't get done, we are in full holiday mode, f---k it! But I need my team to support me, so I dont take it all alone. That's all I can hope.

Ironic: I'm leaving in the new year. No one in management knows yet, and I didn't want to say too soon or have them treat me badly. Ive seen it happen. Yet, feels like I'm being pushed to leave. ugh.
Why the heck would they need to talk with you? If you have sick time available then take it.

As of this week, my district has a rule that you can only call out 3 times a year withouta doctor's note...yikes.

But I did 9 days on, 1 day off, 11 days on once. On my way to work on day 11 of that second round, I got into a car accident. To be fair, I picked up shifts and did that schedule to myself.

But yeah, don't let them overwork you. Talk to them about it if you can't handle that many shifts in a row, or ask a coworker if they're willing to swap a few shifts.
That is BS about only being able to call out three times a year.

I just closed two departments tonight.

All I get is a high five. Were definitely not paid enough to worry about the condition of the store if our meat department guy calls out because hes stuck in Fargo but posts on his snap story drunk as fuck partying with another coworker. 😂

What im trying to say is, other people arent afraid to call out and fuck things up. Why should we be? Until we get $15/hr, i dont think we should show up and do more than just work and do what we can in eight hours.

Why the heck would they need to talk with you? If you have sick time available then take it.

I could, but I still would have been called on it. Screwed up, I know, but when so many shit tms dont come in, we all pay.

Just remember all the callouts your store gets every day that it becomes your job to cover for, as a reliable employee.

And then don't sweat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back