Archived Can a gsa coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
A gsa turned my light off and coached me not on the floor the lod told him to take it off stage is a gsa allowed to coach cashiers

Technically we are allowed to give a "talking to" to cashiers. The key difference being that for an actual coaching there is documented paperwork on the event. Especially if it's something that we notice can be improved, or if we notice that you aren't asking for RedCards.

Also ASANTS. Some stores give their GSA's a lot of freedom in what they say, where some stores are extra careful and discourage their GSA's from saying anything that might be considered coaching. My GSTL was saying that at his old store, as a GSA you weren't even allowed to tell a cashier that they were doing something wrong unless you were using extremely constructive wording.

Last edited:
My store was very by the book, and against GSA's being able to coach -- so technically no - GSA isn't allowed per policy.

I did coach a few people anyways though because I didn't give a shit. Didn't get in trouble for it.

When I was GSA once the other GSA was cashiering and was doing what she wanted and telling other cashiers (her friends) to do certain things w.out checking w. me. I told her off for it and she cried to the GSTL and I did get some blowback on that lol, but didn't get in trouble.

GSAs are only allowed to motivate or converse on a sitation. They are to forward any observations that need coaching to a GSTL.

There were times when I was a Temp FATL, I had a TM or two with a couple guest with simple complaints and slacking off on duties. I simply asked to be more mindful with guests and to pick up on the duties. Yet the ETLs even frowned on that.

Last edited:
ASANTS but if a GSA tried to sign off on any corrective/coaching action, it could/should be challenged.
At the least, it would be signed off by a TL.

GSAs at my store are encouraged to give feedback but cannot document the conversation. One of my GSAs has conversations with TMs and the GSTL will make the coaching official. I actually help one of my GSAs by backing her up when she catches cashiers loafing in Dollar Spot since I can see Dollar Spot from Starbucks. If it's a reaccoring issue, I'll submit the coaching on her behave. It helps to back them up especially with some cashiers not respecting what they delegate or have them do.

I told off a GSTM for replacing the FF labels with bcode labels in the dedicated FF printer we keep at guest service. I put the correct labels back in and asked her to call someone to get her another printer.

GSA tried to coach me for that...but the GSTL cut her off at the end, apologized to me, and pulled her into the office.

No a GSA cannot coach but most GSTLs will follow up on the conversation the GSA had and document the conversation for them if it was a valid point.

We were not allowed to have coaching conversations, but we were able to show them best practice policy printouts from workbench, as well as give them tips on how to do things better. We couldn't say "you fucked up", but we could say "hey, next time you see xxx, do yyy".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back