Archived Can a store really go from red to green? Anyone witnessed it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unreturnable

Receiving/Reverse Logistics
I've only been with Spot for about two years, for that period we've been a high-volume, $50mil sales store with a great location, but always had problems and ranked near the bottom of the district in most scores. So I've just been curious, and have done a lot of asking around to the long-term employees at my store and some friends who have worked at other Targets - is it possible to turn it around long-term? If it matters, this is mostly from a logistics standpoint - out on the salesfloor it looks shiny and pretty enough, in the backroom and during the truck push I really see how ugly it is.

We've had a few weeks when everything seemed to go right and we pushed the whole truck, got the backroom clean, and our scores jumped. Then the next week we hit a few bumps in productivity, lost a lot of hours to call-offs, and went right back to the bottom. We have acquired a lot of leadership with excellent credentials over the time I've been here (I've seen an improvement in TL and ETL quality) and have a brand-new STL with a reputation for turning red stores around. I'm just curious, has anyone ever seen a real turn-around before? Did it last? Or is this all a myth meant to keep us grinding away at low wages in unpleasant working conditions?

Yep. I have seen a store go from green scores to yellow/red, and vice versa. The biggest thing that they have in common are changes in leadership. If you think about it, the store leadership really does have a big influence on how things work in the store. Now sometimes there are crazy things corporate sends out which make me go "ugh", but if your leadership isn't providing the right support to the areas that need it, are focused on the wrong priorities, and most importantly don't treat your team with respect, it will be hard to be a green store. Also, it just takes everyone involved in the processes at hand to be open to the necessary change--I'm sure we've all had people on our team that are resistant to any sort of change (even good things) and fight it the whole way through.

@ExpertTL has it right.
It's all about leadership.
A store can go from red/yellow to green/golden with the right leadership.
It takes people who want to make a difference and are willing to get down into it on all levels but it's possible.

The store I am at has gone through phases of red and green. Most of my tenure we have been green but there were periods of red and it all had to do with leadership. We had a real witch of an STL a few years ago and she was eventually fired and her store for most of her tenure was red. Nobody liked her and nobody was willing to go that extra mile for her either. The person that replaced her is well loved and the store has been green for years.

One store in our district was so bad that there was talk about closing it until they moved in a new STL. She moved a couple of ELTs around, jettisoned 2 low-performers, brought a couple of outside TLs & turned the store around in a little over a yr. They're now a force to be reckoned with.

it all stems from leadership and the trust and respect they place in their teams. our STL was canned a little over a year after we opened at the time morale was low and our store was in a sort of civil war, TM vs TM department vs department and TL vs TM, long story short the store was imploding on itself. and the guy they brought in has turned the store around for the better in about six to eight months, granted he can be a little eccentric but he gets the job done. like the old saying goes a house divided cannot stand and our new STL and our store in general is living proof of that.

Our store always does great in sales, but we struggle with survey scores. We recently fell into the red for the first time. Leadership is freaking out. Power hour has made a comeback.
Yet the salesfloor is constantly needed for guest first. Leaving few people to actually help guests. This is our major problem, but of course it won't get fixed.

One store in our district was so bad that there was talk about closing it until they moved in a new STL. She moved a couple of ELTs around, jettisoned 2 low-performers, brought a couple of outside TLs & turned the store around in a little over a yr. They're now a force to be reckoned with.

Sounds like the store I am in now. My STL and I were put in my current building to clean it up. STL, worked out most of the ETL's and I worked with the Team Leaders and such. We've been able to take a Red culture store and make it Green, we still have some operational stuff to work on. But the team is happy and were headed in the right direction. It is definitely possible for a Red store to go Green, wight he right leadership and culture.

Power hour has made a comeback.
What is this?

Completely and utterly asinine. During the projected peak sales hour, nobody on the floor is allowed to work on tasks and must focus on guest service - CIHYFS, pitching Red Cards, Cartwheel (see: Get Appy), the whole nine yards. Some stores, instead of having a single power hour, have five minutes of this at the top of every hour.

Of course its easy to go from red to green. I worked as a senior at a store with no stl for 6 months and 3 execs who had no clue but how to minipulate the whole ratings system system and did so. We were green across the board but all scores were bad except for logistics which district doesn't really care about because its to hard to be accurate with those. as long as you know how to manipulate scores any store can be "green".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back