Archived Can a TL fire me?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm more than sure that a TL hates me and would love to see me go. Does she herself have the authority to do this?

No, she doesn't BUT....if she has ample documentation of events that warrant an immediate termination (theft, assault, harassment, etc), she could go to the ETL-HR or STL & THEY could term you.
Barring an extreme situation, a TL generally has to start a paper trail (coachings, corrective actions, finals, etc) to document the process. They do this to avoid suits for unlawful termination & to deny unemployment; doesn't always work but all part of CYA.

Basically, if you're a good employee, they'd have an easier time trying to fire you out of a canon. They can not like you all they want, but all that does it make their lives shittier. Just do your job well, and you're fine. Ask yourself what it is they don't like you, and if there's anything you can do to deflate the problem.

ETL-hr Or STL are the only ones that can terminate people. Unless you self term of course.

TL's can deliver the termination....typically the under 90 days TM's get termed by their TL's. But the actual approval of termination has a ton of steps to it so that there is no chance of bias.

Not saying there isn't bias. But there are attempts to remove bias.

This is almost a trick question.

In my experience most ETLs will support a good TL if they want to term someone. The TL has to start the documentation process on you however of coaching, CCA, & finals they can not just fire you with nothing on file. The ultimate decision comes down to the ETL HR approving the term once you have enough documentation on file & obviously the

When I was a TL nobody would stop me if I wanted to term someone. My team I do the hiring/firing then you can hold me accountable for my results all you want. So it all depends...

Usually it's done the way MyTH stated. TLs are expected to manage their team and that includes hiring/firing of their team. It doesn't mean that they are encouraged to be terming left and right.

I'm more than sure that a TL hates me and would love to see me go. Does she herself have the authority to do this?
She can't fire you but, she can talk the manager into doing it, or set you up for failure so that they terminate you. Get her a bottle of wine or something.

I'm going to start making gestures that lead to my cashiers thinking I hate them.

I can't term them, or even write them up, but they don't need to know that.

Think any of them will buy me a bottle of wine? :p

ETL-hr Or STL are the only ones that can terminate people. Unless you self term of course.
my SrTL fired someone before so I'm not sure if that's where the hammer stops or not

Yes. Other people are involved in the process (their ETL, along with ETL-HR) to make sure everything is properly documented and your TL goes through the right channels... But yes, they're your direct supervisor and can set things in motion, along with delivering your termination.

Not even an ETL can fire someone without ETL-HR approval. I don't think your STL can either, really, as they need to partner with an ETL-HR and sometimes even an HRBP to check write-ups, etc. for legality issues. That being said, a TL can deliver that termination. In my store, we always try to have two people in term deliveries- one to just sit in. My ETL-HR makes an effort to have TLs sit in, and Sr. TLs deliver the terminations for developmental reasons. That being said, we have 'expectations' for TMs under 90, and if those are violated, us Sr. TLs are empowered to term. as long as we partner with an etl.

As a TL, my store empowers us to determine who should be termed in our work centers. If they are under their 90 and aren't cutting it, they expect us to term the underperforming TM as long as we have coached them and allowed them to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back