Archived Can an ETL force me to do cashier training?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone has to be cashier trained, they told us. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll start giving you tons of cashier shifts if that's what you're afraid of.

And if they do, well... they stopped scheduling me to cashier because I never got RedCard signups.

It's primarily to familiarize people with the POS system and how it works. Everyone in the building should be at least familiar with it even if you're lucky enough to never be called to jump on a lane.

I've never seen anyone get out of being cashier trained in our store. Once, we had a prospective new seasonal softlines TM tell the ETL at the time that she was not going to cashier or jump on a lane ever and refused to do her cashier training. She and the ETL went back into the office and I heard she picked up her stuff and quit after that.

Everyone has to be cashier trained, they told us. It doesn't necessarily mean they'll start giving you tons of cashier shifts if that's what you're afraid of.

And if they do, well... they stopped scheduling me to cashier because I never got RedCard signups.
We can’t see who gets them anymore. Lol just lie and be like ‘I got one last week!’

Everyone’s job sucks and we are all made to do shit we shouldn’t.

There’s a line in the modernization book that says TLs must not muscle out the push they have to supervise. Most of us are the main reason push ends up completed. Should I quit over it? (Rhetorical question; I’ve considered it when pissed off)

[QUOTE
Seriously ? You applied for a RETAIL job and DON’T want to CASHIER ??? You know we SELL stuff and people have to PAY, right ? Sorry, but Target doesn’t have a check-out free store ....... YET.
Every major retail store has a CEO. Does that mean everyone who applies there should be qualified as a CEO?

It takes a variety of fruit to make a fruit basket work. Let us be our own fruity selves with a few nuts thrown in there, but for the love of GOD no one better put raisins in that basket. Raisins ruin EVERYTHING!

Last edited:
That's the point though. Hours are so tight that many stores are giving cashiers as few days as possible and relying almost entirely on backup to make it through the day, which means the people they're calling off the floor don't get their push done.
This is supposed to improve when EVERYONE does backup, including former flow/backroom people. Tons of people backing up for way less time.

That's the point though. Hours are so tight that many stores are giving cashiers as few days as possible and relying almost entirely on backup to make it through the day, which means the people they're calling off the floor don't get their push done.
Spot just keeps cutting those hours any way possible. Desperation is in the air...

It's the getting everyone to respond to backup that is the problem. It's the same people every time. There's a war brewing between my store's TLs about backing up. Gonna get nasty.
Yep. Coached a food TM who claimed they had a vehicle of frozen on the floor when asked to back up and they didn’t.

Softlines TMs lying saying they’re on break, or saying they’re on break and they’ve been 22 minutes on break already? That’s a fun conversation. You’ll either be the first responder for the rest of the day, or I’ll have the ETL AP help me nail you for stealing company time.

All these stores, all these people, and NO ONE can come up with a SOLID Back-up cashier plan !! We need some big-gun reinforcements here. What about a simple hour rotation written on the grid ? 10-11 all backup calls are answered by Susie or each tm signs up for 30 min per day at the front, pushing Bullsye if no cashiering needed but UP there none the less. 30 minutes each for the whole day, that’s less than I back-up now.

Yep. Coached a food TM who claimed they had a vehicle of frozen on the floor when asked to back up and they didn’t.

Softlines TMs lying saying they’re on break, or saying they’re on break and they’ve been 22 minutes on break already? That’s a fun conversation. You’ll either be the first responder for the rest of the day, or I’ll have the ETL AP help me nail you for stealing company time.

Damn. We aren't that far along into the TL backup war......yet. As someone who has to find backup 3 times a day, I'm really not looking forward to things going that far.

I am going to challenge this so hard. They are cross training people everywhere except FA/SBUX. I am sick of them closing down Sbux, cause no coverage or letting the 1 barista suffer through peaks ,cause no coverage.

starbucks guest experience is now part of Service and Engagement. from the modernization guide, Service and Engagement "owns Service at Starbucks and Cafe", so now's your chance to get some more people at least trained to ring sales and mark cups. no need for food safety training when all they're doing is just writing on cups....

They hired a woman to cashier who is over 70. Great cashier. Gets redcards. Guest compliments.

So what we're saying here is that she should be forced to use the stacker, make a bale, get carts when the pusher is broken in the 95 degree heat, push cat litter/backstock cat litter, and reset/pull/backstock seasonal air conditioners? Just want some clarification. She should be told business needs and everyone needs to know how to do it.
When my store opened and I was Backroom TL, somebody hired a senior woman and assigned her to the backroom. When I say senior, I mean the rumour was she once dated George Washington Carver. Twice. She had a hearing aid and a race between her and molasses would be too close to call. All I was thinking that it was a shame this nice lady HAD to work instead of being home making cookies for her great-great-great grandchildren. Ladders were out of the question for her, as was doing pulls (I could only let her backstock in wacos). I kept going to my ETL-Log and the ETL-HR to get her moved somewhere else in the store. I was paid nothing but lip service for more than 2 weeks. Finally, I told them since she was in the backroom she'd have to learn the power equipment. I timed it so the STL would see me showing this TM the Crown. Her next shift she was transferred to the Flow Team. After a few weeks we didn't see her anymore. I hope she was able to enjoy whatever little time she had left in this world.

Hours are so tight that many stores are giving cashiers as few days as possible and relying almost entirely on backup to make it through the day

I can vouch for that. The majority of cashiers in my store get only 2 or 3 shifts each week. Some actually get just 1 shift. The shifts are only 4 to 5 hours. It's sad.

All these stores, all these people, and NO ONE can come up with a SOLID Back-up cashier plan !! We need some big-gun reinforcements here. What about a simple hour rotation written on the grid ? 10-11 all backup calls are answered by Susie or each tm signs up for 30 min per day at the front, pushing Bullsye if no cashiering needed but UP there none the less. 30 minutes each for the whole day, that’s less than I back-up now.
No way in hell any sales floor TL would give up any payroll for their TM to be at the front for a scheduled amount of time.

Now, one thing we did do, as TLs collectively is we shaved a little bit off the top from our payroll and used it to add more cashier coverage at the worst peak times. Our teams can get more done with less time but uninterrupted, than with more time but they keep having to cashier. So we all trimmed 30-60 minutes from our morning/mid people’s shifts, and that gave us 4-5 hours a day that HR could add for cashier coverage.

starbucks guest experience is now part of Service and Engagement. from the modernization guide, Service and Engagement "owns Service at Starbucks and Cafe", so now's your chance to get some more people at least trained to ring sales and mark cups. no need for food safety training when all they're doing is just writing on cups....
I wish we could trade our starbucks for a food Ave so we could have pretzels, and so we could close it for breaks or when there’s call offs and not have the TL bitch about it

I wish we could trade our starbucks for a food Ave so we could have pretzels, and so we could close it for breaks or when there’s call offs and not have the TL bitch about it

starbucks makes money for the store in terms of profit and in the fact that guests who stop at starbucks first will end up with a larger basket size. any payroll spent training and getting more certified baristas will be made up in the improved guest experience and also just in terms of pure sales.

Preface this with, PLEASE take no offense, but what about our limited-English speaking coworkers that took BR positions originally. They were kicking ass back there, but are now forced to engage with guest in their new work centers. I was curious if this “EVERYONE must cashier” applies here as well. Before the anti immigrant line forms, these are hard working, legal citizens who happen to have really heavy accents.

The idea of assuming everyone can and will cashier is not good for anyone.

Preface this with, PLEASE take no offense, but what about our limited-English speaking coworkers that took BR positions originally. They were kicking ass back there, but are now forced to engage with guest in their new work centers. I was curious if this “EVERYONE must cashier” applies here as well. Before the anti immigrant line forms, these are hard working, legal citizens who happen to have really heavy accents.

I was told we can't make exceptions for anyone anymore. Better learn basic English to run a register.

Ours do the unload. 4am-8am.

We can’t see who gets them anymore. Lol just lie and be like ‘I got one last week!’
Whoops, I had no idea. This happened probably 3 or 4 years ago, so I don't really know about many changes that happen regarding the lanes.
They used to schedule me some cashier shifts because I always had good speed scores, but the only time I ever got RedCard signups was if someone had already decided they wanted to get one and happened to come to my lane. I'd ask guests, but I refused to get pushy about it like they wanted everyone to.

Can ETL forced me to do cashier training? Today I was forced to do cashier training.

Yes, everyone should be cashier-trained. If you work while the store is open, then there is always a chance that you might get called to go back up the front lanes. Even as HR, I backed up the front.

Last edited:
I would get fired as an STL for requiring all applicants at my store with green cards to pass TOEFL or IELTS prior to onboarding

get @ me ACLU I'm fucking strapped (multiple Zebras with holsters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back