Archived Can i cross train officially in HR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So with summer quarter coming to an end, and my "summer" officially coming. I'd like to officially, cross train and learn how to use power equipment if possible.

I've learned in the backroom how to do a few things on my own (quickly read locations, pull product, back stock & pull batches) and guest service (just straight returns) - nothing huge, but i've done all those on my own when i had some quick free time.

But i was wondering, could i ask my ETL-HR/STL to cross train in HR? Would be cool to learn more departments then rather closing electronics every, single, night..

You can ask. Usually the ETL-HR will approach a team member about training there when needed. HR has access to a lot of sensitive information.

I asked the ETL-LOG the other day if i could cross train in BR and she said "your really needed in other areas" -__-

HR doesn't quite strike me as the type of work center you can casually cross train in for the heck of it tbh

I have to agree with Glo. Although I got cross trained in HR while I was working in the backroom and trucks, it's because they were trying to convince me to join the HR team, which ended up with me officially transferring departments. If it's anything like my store, it all depends how much the ETL of that department sees how beneficial you can be to the team. No worries, though! If an HR opening does apply, you can always apply for it! Best of luck!!

HR doesn't quite strike me as the type of work center you can casually cross train in for the heck of it tbh

Yup lol. You have access to coachings, corrective actions, how much everyone makes.

It's not a "getting experience" position like instocks or plano.

If you want to do HR you jump full in by applying for a position. You have to be keyed as HR to access the HR files like Hrzone and mytime/HR

I will say that we had a TM trained in HR to help our HRTM during Q4.

So maybe there is the tiniest glimmer of hope.

I will say that we had a TM trained in HR to help our HRTM during Q4.

So maybe there is the tiniest glimmer of hope.

Nice,
I asked for this and was semi turned down.

They were allowed to help me make orientation packets and do other non HR stuff but that's about it

HR in any company is an information-sensitive position due to what HRZone exampled above. Extreme confidentiality is essential due to potential litigation arising from inadvertent disclosure of personal information. As mentioned above, jump full in by applying for an available position. It's not unheard of at all for a TM to transition to HRTM but is not common at all to go back and forth between the two as needed. If you're interested, go for it. If you don't get it then use it as a learning experience: ask what you are lacking for the position and work towards gaining those skills /experience. Retail HR is a fantastic jumping off point to other industries.

We have two ex-HRTMs on the floor at our store..But, both are transfers. One has been with Spot 15 years and the other for about a year. She had to move due to her husband getting a job offer here, though, so she opted for the secondary workcentre in which she had experience - Softlines. I can see training over there if you're interested in transferring to HR completely, but I'm not quite sure if just cross-training is feasible.

HR in any company is an information-sensitive position due to what HRZone exampled above. Extreme confidentiality is essential due to potential litigation arising from inadvertent disclosure of personal information. As mentioned above, jump full in by applying for an available position. It's not unheard of at all for a TM to transition to HRTM but is not common at all to go back and forth between the two as needed. If you're interested, go for it. If you don't get it then use it as a learning experience: ask what you are lacking for the position and work towards gaining those skills /experience. Retail HR is a fantastic jumping off point to other industries.
My store has a few hrtms and they all work in other work centers as well. Ahaha. Coming here and reading about all the other stores makes me realize how backwards mine is and sadly it wasn't always this way. Boopeedoo.

Nice,
I asked for this and was semi turned down.

They were allowed to help me make orientation packets and do other non HR stuff but that's about it

Same here, they were not keyed in as HR and had no access to anything. They helped me with orientation packets, keeping off the stage ares clean and organized and set up FFF events.

There really isn't any cross training into HR. It can not hurt to let your HR ETL know that you are interested in the HR TM position. If your HRTM leaves, your HR ETL will know that you are interested. I spend most of my time in my office but I can pick up other shifts. During 4th quarter I work 40 hours in HR but from Mid January until October only about 30 hours but I will work in other work centers to get to 40 hours.

I love the HRTM position and the experiences I am gaining from it. I learned excel from it, learned scheduling processes etc which may help me find a better paying office job in the future.

There really isn't any cross training into HR. It can not hurt to let your HR ETL know that you are interested in the HR TM position. If your HRTM leaves, your HR ETL will know that you are interested. I spend most of my time in my office but I can pick up other shifts. During 4th quarter I work 40 hours in HR but from Mid January until October only about 30 hours but I will work in other work centers to get to 40 hours.

I love the HRTM position and the experiences I am gaining from it. I learned excel from it, learned scheduling processes etc which may help me find a better paying office job in the future.
Would be cool just for HRTM knowledge and how the process works of HR. My stores HRTMs are defiantly not leaving anytime soon. Ones been here since the 90s i think and one for 8+ years.

Would be cool just for HRTM knowledge and how the process works of HR. My stores HRTMs are defiantly not leaving anytime soon. Ones been here since the 90s i think and one for 8+ years.

It's probably one of the best TM positions, they only time they leave at my store is when they get promoted to TL or get offered a higher paying job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back