Archived Can I get in trouble for calling out on a day that I'm unavailable to close?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last year (around August) I changed my availability request, I made myself available to close every day except Monday and Tuesday which I'm only available until 6 pm. The request was approved and for a long time it was honored. Recently (about 2 months or so) I've been getting scheduled off and on to close Monday or Tuesday nights. I've been swapping those shifts and I've been telling the ETL in charge of scheduling that I'm not available yet it keeps happening over and over again. I got scheduled again to close next Tuesday, I'm trying to find someone to take that shift but if I can't and I end up calling out, will I get in trouble for that? Do availability requests expire, should I submit a new request?

Am I asking the wrong questions? the last 2 questions I've posted on the forum have got a lot of views but few or no replies and the few replies didn't really have anything to do with the subject....

If you are scheduled outside of your avail, YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE for those shifts!!! They need to replace them and stop scheduling you. Talk to HR.
Also, you do not need to call out for them.

Go to HR, tell them you keep getting scheduled when unavailable, that you got scheduled next Tuesday, and you will not be coming in. THEY need to replace the shift because it was the schedulers mistake.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for taking the time to respond. I will talk to my ETL HR tonight.

Talk to your HR as soon as possible (preferably once you notice any discrepancy in the schedule) so they can take care of it in advance. You won't be held liable for a shift out of your availability. However if you neglect to say anything and just call in, you MIGHT NOT get in trouble, but they will be peeved at you for not saying anything beforehand.

If they don't fix it, or demand that you find someone to work for you (not your job, its theirs FYI), then feel free to call out.

Don't let them gilt trip you either, also make sure your availability is correct in the system. Just check it, I know mine has been played with once I know of. And the needs of the business is just crap pure crap when they honored yours for so long.

Every time it's happened I've pointed it out to the person responsible for making the schedule yet it keeps happening. One time they said they would take care of it but I called in the morning the day I was scheduled and they still had me on the grid so I had to call out. Today I checked my availability again and it's correct so I just went ahead and changed it to being unavailable both days (the entire day) so hopefully it won't happen again. And I found someone to take the shift.

Every time it's happened I've pointed it out to the person responsible for making the schedule yet it keeps happening. One time they said they would take care of it but I called in the morning the day I was scheduled and they still had me on the grid so I had to call out. Today I checked my availability again and it's correct so I just went ahead and changed it to being unavailable both days (the entire day) so hopefully it won't happen again. And I found someone to take the shift.

When the schedule posts and you see the problem say something right then! Don't wait until the day of, cause if you wait two weeks they can turn around and say exactly that, you knew and said nothing - so you must be able to work those shifts then. And keep notes of who said they would change it, so when they don't and try to charge you with a NCNS, you hit back with "I told ETLHR on mm/dd/yy, and she/he said he was sorry and would change it and I was not responsible for the hours."

Best if you can catch them in front of a computer, and have them delete those shifts right then.

Try submitting a new availability on my time. Mine was always honored except these past couple of weeks, my leaders blame my time.
Just tell them know as soon as you see the schedule. This way they can swap you with someone else (hopefully recover your deleted hours too).
Also try talking to the TL of the work center you're being scheduled in.

Try submitting a new availability on my time. Mine was always honored except these past couple of weeks, my leaders blame my time.
Just tell them know as soon as you see the schedule. This way they can swap you with someone else (hopefully recover your deleted hours too).
Also try talking to the TL of the work center you're being scheduled in.

Our store had everyone fill a new hardcopy of our availability so that would be a clean slate with My Time. It worked and gutted everyone hours. Gave everyone the correct days but half the hours basically.

My ETL-GE reconfirmed all of the GSAs and GSTLs availability when my time started. And my schedule was still originally screwed up against my availability today. Apparently my time does not flag for this as well as max did.

My ETL-GE reconfirmed all of the GSAs and GSTLs availability when my time started. And my schedule was still originally screwed up against my availability today. Apparently my time does not flag for this as well as max did.

It does flag, but no one corrected it. Much like Max the info that comes out is only as good as the info that goes in.

It does flag, but no one corrected it. Much like Max the info that comes out is only as good as the info that goes in.

Garbage in, garbage out. Sounds an awful lot like the software itself, doesn't it?

Garbage in, garbage out. Sounds an awful lot like the software itself, doesn't it?

The software usually is ok, its how you set it up that is usually where it fails. People who set it up, never talk to those who actually use it. So no I don't wonder why this is a clusterfuck.

The software usually is ok, its how you set it up that is usually where it fails. People who set it up, never talk to those who actually use it. So no I don't wonder why this is a clusterfuck.

Bad transitioning and implantation is the enemy of most projects.
Right after that is lousy communication and management foot dragging.

if you're scheduled outside your availability you are not responsible for those shifts, jut let your TL ETL know when the schedule is published.

Wow they do this to people all the time at my store! I mean every week! When they say something they are told they have to work it or find someone who will. Also, they lose those hours.

I was surprised...I was once scheduled against my availability, and I immediately pointed it out to my GSTL. He grumbled because the ETL screwed up, but said we could fix it the next day, and by the way, make sure I get that time made up elsewhere because it wasn't my fault. And the next day, I stuck to my ETL until he fixed both the incorrect time and put the hour back someplace else. I think that was a minor miracle, though.

Wow they do this to people all the time at my store! I mean every week! When they say something they are told they have to work it or find someone who will. Also, they lose those hours.

If they are doing it all the time, not fixing it and making it the TMs problem, then the HR ETL is not only terrible at their job but needs to be reported.

If they are doing it all the time, not fixing it and making it the TMs problem, then the HR ETL is not only terrible at their job but needs to be reported.
you can report your HR-TL for stuff like that?

you can report your HR-TL for stuff like that?

If they are routinely writing the schedule outside of peoples availability and not bothering to fix it even when they are informed of the mistake than yes.
Of course you would have to document everything, have to show a constant disregard (not just one or two mistakes) and be ready for the shit storm that would follow.
I'm not saying that it would be easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back